Jordan Poyer Interview - OTAs June 2, 2021

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

NFLPA. That is the only reason why they cant. There is nothing legally from stopping them. Only the potential labor strike.

I remember very clearly last season the NFLPA supporting a slow, measured return to football, which I personally thought was a good idea. That they would push back against mandatory vaccinations as you suggest seems incoherent.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I remember very clearly last season the NFLPA supporting a slow, measured return to football, which I personally thought was a good idea. That they would push back against mandatory vaccinations as you suggest seems incoherent.

Not really, when you realize the NFLPA's main stance and MO is to not agree to ANYTHING without getting something in return. Even if what they are originally being asked to agree to is in the best interest, and benefit to, the players. To the NFLPA, the NFL asking them to agree to require players to be vaccinated is seen as "the NFL league office simply trying to protect their business and brand by forcing players to inject chemicals into their bodies without their choice". And given the history, part of me doesnt blame them for thinking the NFL would rather "protect the shield" than prioritize player safety. It just so happens that this is a weird situation where the two arent mutually exclusive. So I'm sure the NFLPA would agree to mandating vaccinations... for a higher cut of revenue share, or for less OTAs, or for whatever else they want nowadays.

Additionally, the NFLPA supporting a slow return to football last year was because it meant players didnt have to go to OTAs and Camp. Not because it was the right thing to do.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not really, when you realize the NFLPA's main stance and MO is to not agree to ANYTHING without getting something in return. Even if what they are originally being asked to agree to is in the best interest, and benefit to, the players. To the NFLPA, the NFL asking them to agree to require players to be vaccinated is seen as "the NFL league office simply trying to protect their business and brand by forcing players to inject chemicals into their bodies without their choice". And given the history, part of me doesnt blame them for thinking the NFL would rather "protect the shield" than prioritize player safety. It just so happens that this is a weird situation where the two arent mutually exclusive. So I'm sure the NFLPA would agree to mandating vaccinations... for a higher cut of revenue share, or for less OTAs, or for whatever else they want nowadays.

Exactly. They have leverage in this process but I doubt that continued media coverage about NFL players' resistance to COVID vaccines is good business.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Says the guy who missed games with mono...

This is the unfortunate attitude I expect from players...

"I don’t see me treating Covid until I actually get Covid".. Brilliant...

How is he going about getting more facts?

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 11:08 PM, Shaw66 said:

I think you seriously misunderstand the role of people who cover modern pro sports teams.   And you misunderstand the balance of power between the teams and players on one hand, and the writers, on the other.  

Wawrow isn't a journalist.  He is just a guy who produces content that the print or online sources use to attract readers.  He isn't an investigative journalist on some highly principled search for the truth.  He doesn't have to ask the tough questions to succeed at his job.  His bosses want him just to write something interesting about the team.  So long as readers like what he writes, Wawrow's bosses don't care at all if he's sucking up to the players and teams.  Peter King has made a fortune sucking up to Favre and Manning and Brady.   And they don't care if Wawrow is ahead of his fellow writers on a subject like the vaccine.   A scoop isn't worth very much, because all the other writers hear his questions and see what he writes, and if it has any legs, they all write it, too.  So there's no advantage to be out ahead of the other writers on an issue like this.   

The one way that a writer like Wawrow can make a name for himself, to set himself apart, is to have better access to the Bills than the average writer.  For example, it's a big deal for a guy like him to get a one-on-one interview with a player or players, and even better with McDermott or Beane.  A lengthy article about Poyer is worth a lot more to Wawrow's bosses than some paragraphs about the vaccine.  If Poyer is in the mood to do a one-on-one interview with someone, how likely do you think it is today that he'll give that interview to Wawrow?   Not very.   How likely is it that Frazier will choose Wawrow?  Not very, because Frazier wants to back his player.  If the players don't like you, they aren't giving you the stories.  

Look at Jay Skurski's interview with Trubisky in Buffalo News.  Do you think anyone on the Bills would sit down today with Wawrow to do an interview like that?

The plain dynamic at work here is that Wawrow needs the Bills a lot more than the Bills need Wawrow.  The sports media can always find another guy to write stories.  So when Wawrow keeps asking questions the Bills don't want to answer, when it's clear he's asking Poyer to talk about things that are not in Poyer's interest, Wawrow is putting at risk his ability to do his job.  

Is that what you think?

I just submitted a whole number of grafs on the Bills COVID-19 debate as asked by my bosses. As for me having access to Poyer, I'll have it come the start of training camp. If he talks to me or not, it doesn't mean I won't have access to him because I'll be in a setting where other reporters will ask questions, some of whom might even ask the questions I'd like to ask.

My job is quite secure, which might come as a surprise to you and all this mularkey you're posting here. I've overcome a few people, even Tom Donahoe not talking to me for his last season. Here's the thing. I'm confident in the relationships that I've built and the reputation I've developed in being fair.

You seem to think that it's my job to be a pom-pom carrier to root, root, root for the home team. It's never been that way. And players, coaches and the Bills media department has always respected that.

You'd be surprised at how many more people I've been able to speak to based on the questions I've asked, and not matter who seems to put off by them.

But, obviously, you know better. (you don't. but feel free to live in that world, bubba).

ADD:

Also: this whole thing about me not being an investigative journalist. I'm a newswriter, having covered everything murders to entertainment and was first AP writer on the scene of the Clarence Center plane crash.

As for news stories I've helped break, some might remember my coverage of the Kevin Everett's injury, in which The AP was the first to get a story that he was going to survive, and first to get an interview with his mother.

Of course, some might also remember The AP's coverage on the Bills sale in 2014.

Stop me if this flies in the face of your ill-conceived narrative. But I think I've earned my place here on this board and coverage in this community to have it questioned by some slapdick as yourself.

jw

Edited by john wawrow
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

The only reason I haven't replied to this topic, by the way, is I just happened to be out of town for five weeks being assigned to cover the Stanley Cup playoffs in Canada. I guess, my bosses have enough faith in me to do so, besides what some here might say.

smfh

Glad to hear from you JW.  I hope you can get us some valid info on how the Beasley (and now Feliciano) issues are potentially impacting the Bills’ locker room in our most anticipated season in nearly 30 years.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Glad to hear from you JW.  I hope you can get us some valid info on how the Beasley (and now Feliciano) issues are potentially impacting the Bills’ locker room in our most anticipated season in nearly 30 years.

We'll find out more on Wednesday, when the Bills are first set to speak. I'm expecting them to circle the wagons on the issue, which is really all they can do. But it's difficult for them to suggest they're keeping it in house based on the back and forth that happened this weekend. It's might be even more difficult to say they're solely focused on football, as Poyer insisted in June.

Alas, you won't have the pleasure or pain (pick one, don't care) of having me there asking questions that day as I'll be tied up handling NHL free agency. I'll get there at some point.

But those expecting not to hear questions about COVID, given what's gone on, are mistaken, especially when Cole Beasley is made available.

jw

• Like (+1) 3

I’d like this season to be about football not the off the field drama. Maybe I’m in the minority but I hope all the players and coaches get on the same page and stomp out KC, Tampa and whoever else rises to the top.

The sooner the better.  Go Bills. I can’t think of much worse things sports wise than a fractured Bills team losing to Tua and Cam Newton. No freaking way. Sit down and get it together. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Is that what you think?

I just submitted a whole number of grafs on the Bills COVID-19 debate as asked by my bosses. As for me having access to Poyer, I'll have it come the start of training camp. If he talks to me or not, it doesn't mean I won't have access to him because I'll be in a setting where other reporters will ask questions, some of whom might even ask the questions I'd like to ask.

My job is quite secure, which might come as a surprise to you and all this mularkey you're posting here. I've overcome a few people, even Tom Donahoe not talking to me for his last season. Here's the thing. I'm confident in the relationships that I've built and the reputation I've developed in being fair.

You seem to think that it's my job to be a pom-pom carrier to root, root, root for the home team. It's never been that way. And players, coaches and the Bills media department has always respected that.

You'd be surprised at how many more people I've been able to speak to based on the questions I've asked, and not matter who seems to put off by them.

But, obviously, you know better. (you don't. but feel free to live in that world, bubba).

ADD:

Also: this whole thing about me not being an investigative journalist. I'm a newswriter, having covered everything murders to entertainment and was first AP writer on the scene of the Clarence Center plane crash.

As for news stories I've helped break, some might remember my coverage of the Kevin Everett's injury, in which The AP was the first to get a story that he was going to survive, and first to get an interview with his mother.

Of course, some might also remember The AP's coverage on the Bills sale in 2014.

Stop me if this flies in the face of your ill-conceived narrative. But I think I've earned my place here on this board and coverage in this community to have it questioned by some slapdick as yourself.

jw

JW -

Thanks for responding.  I appreciate it.  I do apologize for my tone.  It was unfair to you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

JW -

Thanks for responding.  I appreciate it.  I do apologize for my tone.  It was unfair to you.

@john wawrowsure put you in your place.   You got both Bubba'd and Slapdick'd.....and it apparently passed inspection.   Good on you for being the more gracious gentleman.:thumbsup:   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, john wawrow said:

But those expecting not to hear questions about COVID, given what's gone on, are mistaken, especially when Cole Beasley is made available.

jw

Thanks for the effort here, JW. I think I speak for most in saying thanks for the coverage over the years and providing balanced insight. 

In regards to the quoted point, will un-vaxxed players be subject to the media in the same way the vaxxed ones are?

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, john wawrow said:

The only reason I haven't replied to this topic, by the way, is I just happened to be out of town for five weeks being assigned to cover the Stanley Cup playoffs in Canada. I guess, my bosses have enough faith in me to do so, besides what some here might say.

smfh

I tried defending your corner in your absence jw. Beat reporting for pro-sports teams with rabid fan bases is not easy. I lasted one year. You have my respect and personally I always find your reporting of the Bills fair. It isn't up to the Bills to decide what is news and what isn't. They are entitled to circle the wagons on any issue they choose - including this one - but that does not mean the media shouldn't seek out stories where they exist just because the Bills would prefer they didn't. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1