Critical Race Theory

What is it about CRT that so many of you fail to understand? This has nothing to do with what most of you are turning yourselves into pretzels to figure out. The goal here is to make the current and next generation of the white majority feel just guilty enough that they’ll vote for reparations. That’s it....done. It’s not complicated.  

7 minutes ago, Capco said:

Good morning Bill.  

I think this is a great point.  Going by group, Asians and Jews perform above the academic norm for whites on average afaik.  If the system is inherently rigged for the  supremacy of whites of European ancestry, then CRT advocates might be forced to come up with reasons as to why Asians and Jews would be performing better than whites.  Reasons like cheating. 

In other words, rather ironically CRT can open the door to anti-Semitism and anti-Asian sentiment.  

I happen to have serious doubts about CRT because they toss to the side many things that I hold in high regard in search of an otherwise noble objective.  

aside from some of the louder advocates who I think are motivated to get rich, I agree the nobility is in trying to address the academic disparity along demographic lines. It’s a hard factual problem. 

But pretending our education systems are racist is not leading to fixing anything. One of my kids elementary school promotion  this week, his class is ~30% Asian. They listed the top 20 students in the grade who had all A’s in 4th and fifth grade. They were all Asian names, half of them esl and amongst a group of 90 kids. How is it they were able to navigate the alleged white supremacy? 

There are undeniably subcultures at work here. Deconstructing the subcultures that lead to better results just seem so backward to me John.. instead of looking at success as oppressive, why not look at the two subcultures you just identified as stand out successes and understand how to grow other subcultures toward the same success.

it’s ironic to me progressive thought processes tends toward advocating regression of the whole. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What is it about CRT that so many of you fail to understand? This has nothing to do with what most of you are turning yourselves into pretzels to figure out. The goal here is to make the current and next generation of the white majority feel just guilty enough that they’ll vote for reparations. That’s it....done. It’s not complicated.  

If there were some social contract that said then we are done with this conversation, I’d be open to it. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Incredible oversimplification, tbh.  There's a history to it that has absolutely nothing to do with seeking reparations.  

Like, I can see why you might predict such an eventuality (i.e., reparations) and how CRT could impact that.  But to say it's intrinsic to CRT is conjecture and conspiracy.  

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

aside from some of the louder advocates who I think are motivated to get rich, I agree the nobility is in trying to address the academic disparity along demographic lines. It’s a hard factual problem. 

But pretending our education systems are racist is not leading to fixing anything. One of my kids elementary school promotion  this week, his class is ~30% Asian. They listed the top 20 students in the grade who had all A’s in 4th and fifth grade. They were all Asian names, half of them esl and amongst a group of 90 kids. How is it they were able to navigate the alleged white supremacy? 

There are undeniably subcultures at work here. Deconstructing the subcultures that lead to better results just seem so backward to me John.. instead of looking at success as oppressive, why not look at the two subcultures you just identified as stand out successes and understand how to grow other subcultures toward the same success.

I think you nailed it.  The reason why those groups perform at a higher level is because of culture!  Jewish and East Asian culture both place a tremendous amount of focus on academic achievement.  Jews have been discriminated against for centuries for being more successful on average because of this and other cultural reasons.  

But we also have to be careful about the flip side of that coin.  Some people might chalk up the academic disparity along demographic lines only to culture and forego any genuine structural issues that are holding certain groups back.  I believe fixing the problem will require a comprehensive approach, and one that does not involve deconstructing one subculture for the benefit of another.  It doesn't have to be a zero-sum game.  

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If there were some social contract that said then we are done with this conversation, I’d be open to it. 

Ditto.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Capco said:

Well, I think that that part is obvious.  There is no irony in the anti-white sentiments.  

The idea of my mentioning Asians and Jews is how it doesn't comport with the idea that whites are at the top of the hierarchy in all fields.  

I think it's ironic that, in search of equality for people of color, CRT opens the door to discrimination against people of color.  

Yeah I assumed my bringing that up wasn't necessary.  All the things you're pointing out are reasons for the concern.  Virtually no one on the left has given a compelling reason for CRT or CRT based curriculum in schools.  Thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Capco said:

I think you nailed it.  The reason why those groups perform at a higher level is because of culture!  Jewish and East Asian culture both place a tremendous amount of focus on academic achievement.  Jews have been discriminated against for centuries for being more successful on average because of this and other cultural reasons.  

But we also have to be careful about the flip side of that coin.  Some people might chalk up the academic disparity along demographic lines only to culture and forego any genuine structural issues that are holding certain groups back.  I believe fixing the problem will require a comprehensive approach, and one that does not involve deconstructing one subculture for the benefit of another.  It doesn't have to be a zero-sum game.  

And of course the biggest cultural issue (IMP) holing blacks back is the lack of an intact family unit.  The fact that BLM is anti-nuclear family really has me scratching my head. 

57 minutes ago, Capco said:

Incredible oversimplification, tbh.  There's a history to it that has absolutely nothing to do with seeking reparations.  

Like, I can see why you might predict such an eventuality (i.e., reparations) and how CRT could impact that.  But to say it's intrinsic to CRT is conjecture and conspiracy.  

I think CRT has little or nothing to do with reparations.  I feel it is a noble theory that has merits however it's how it will be used to create a future social construct (if that's the right term)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Capco said:

You’re oversimplifying the concept of reparations. CRT may have a long history but so do many social philosophies. This time around it had one purpose: the fundamental transformation of America. Sound familiar? Transform to what you ask? The redistribution of wealth. 

26 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And of course the biggest cultural issue (IMO) holding blacks back is the lack of an intact family unit.  The fact that BLM is anti-nuclear family really has me scratching my head. 

I was thinking that too and I tend to agree.  There is almost a cultural aversion to the family unit.  Study after study after study shows how much an intact family unit has on the success of offspring.  

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’re oversimplifying the concept of reparations. CRT may have a long history but so do many social philosophies. This time around it had one purpose: the fundamental transformation of America. Sound familiar? Transform to what you ask? The redistribution of wealth. 

I'm not saying that connecting reparations to CRT at some level is right or wrong.  All I'm saying is that you're the one making these connections and jumping to these conclusions without any direct basis in fact. 

That makes it difficult to have a concrete discussion.  I'm not trying to be a jerk or abrasive.  There just isn't much to respond to.  

3 minutes ago, Capco said:

I was thinking that too and I tend to agree.  There is almost a cultural aversion to the family unit.  Study after study after study shows how much an intact family unit has on the success of offspring.  

I'm not saying that connecting reparations to CRT at some level is right or wrong.  All I'm saying is that you're the one making these connections and jumping to these conclusions without any direct basis in fact. 

That makes it difficult to have a concrete discussion.  I'm not trying to be a jerk or abrasive.  There just isn't much to respond to.  

It's refreshing to have an adult conversation regarding these things.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Capco said:

With the greatest of respect: You’re going to be boiled before you ever knew the water was getting hot. They’re two steps ahead of you and you don’t even know it. 

What do you think this about? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

With the greatest of respect: You’re going to be boiled before you ever knew the water was getting hot. They’re two steps ahead of you and you don’t even know it. 

What do you think this about? 

With all due respect, you sound like this guy when you refer to the all-encompassing, omnipresent boogeyman otherwise known as "they":

1024.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Capco said:

With all due respect, you sound like this guy when you refer to the all-encompassing, omnipresent boogeyman otherwise known as "they":

1024.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Nope, no boogeyman assumptions here. Just a guy who knows what’s really going on with all of this. And as usual the Right will wake up and say ‘when did that all happen’? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Capco said:

Good morning Bill.  

I think this is a great point.  Going by group, Asians and Jews perform above the academic norm for whites on average afaik.  If the system is inherently rigged for the  supremacy of whites of European ancestry, then CRT advocates might be forced to come up with reasons as to why Asians and Jews would be performing better than whites.  Reasons like cheating. 

In other words, rather ironically CRT can open the door to anti-Semitism and anti-Asian sentiment.  

I happen to have serious doubts about CRT because they toss to the side many things that I hold in high regard in search of an otherwise noble objective.  

I don’t know anything at all about CRT but I do know history. Educational levels are so much about culture. I grew up in a house full of books and I did well academically. That’s not a coincidence.  Jews were not allowed to own land in Europe and over several thousand years, across different countries turned to improving their human capital. Maybe discrimination actually helped them—when they were not getting massacred—in a way in the long run. African American history is different. They were not allowed anything up until relatively recently. But they are improving, but with a culture formed under oppressive circumstances I suppose it will take more generations to change. If CRT expla8ns the difference that way, I don’t see the harm. 

8 hours ago, Capco said:

So we shouldn't be teaching evolution and general relativity because they are theories?  

Hi, Capco! Good to see you here again!

Small clarification: critical race theory shouldn’t be lumped in with theories like evolution and general relativity. The latter are essentially natural science “facts” that always pass tests of scientific inquiry within very broad domains. CRT is more of a narration that doesn’t go through the same rigorous analyses as do other ideas from the social sciences.

Personally, I’m not a fan of formally teaching CRT for the reason above and also because it ends up being way too divisive, and thus counterproductive, in practice. It should be enough to simply remind children in civics class that the American law and order system is often not applied equally among different races (especially regarding the drug war!), and that we should all aspire to make it so when we become adults…beginning with NOT electing a guy who helped write the 1994 Crime Law…

From a political strategy point of view, topics like CRT distract us from the necessary war we need to wage against neoliberalism and American imperialism. The corporate oligarchic establishment loves culture war issues like these because they help prevent the working class on both political sides (whites on the right, minorities on the left) from unifying. A politically united working class, after all, threatens their power structures. Jeff Bezos loves seeing my fellow comrades argue over our proper use of gender pronouns as he continues evading tax payments, purchasing the Fourth Estate, and forcing his Amazon warehouse peons to subsist on food stamps.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Small clarification: critical race theory shouldn’t be lumped in with theories like evolution and general relativity. The latter are essentially natural science “facts” that always pass tests of scientific inquiry within very broad domains. CRT is more of a narration that doesn’t go through the same rigorous analyses as do other ideas from the social sciences.

Personally, I’m not a fan of formally teaching CRT for the reason above and also because it ends up being way too divisive, and thus counterproductive, in practice. It should be enough to simply remind children in civics class that the American law and order system is often not applied equally among different races (especially regarding the drug war!), and that we should all aspire to make it so when we become adults…beginning with NOT electing a guy who helped write the 1994 Crime Law…

From a political strategy point of view, topics like CRT distract us from the necessary war we need to wage against neoliberalism and American imperialism. The corporate oligarchic establishment loves culture war issues like these because they help prevent the working class on both political sides (whites on the right, minorities on the left) from unifying. A politically united working class, after all, threatens their power structures. Jeff Bezos loves seeing my fellow comrades argue over our proper use of gender pronouns as he continues evading tax payments, purchasing the Fourth Estate, and forcing his Amazon warehouse peons to subsist on food stamps.

Well said as always, comrade Kay!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Solid post

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I don’t know anything at all about CRT but I do know history. Educational levels are so much about culture. I grew up in a house full of books and I did well academically. That’s not a coincidence.  Jews were not allowed to own land in Europe and over several thousand years, across different countries turned to improving their human capital. Maybe discrimination actually helped them—when they were not getting massacred—in a way in the long run. African American history is different. They were not allowed anything up until relatively recently. But they are improving, but with a culture formed under oppressive circumstances I suppose it will take more generations to change. If CRT expla8ns the difference that way, I don’t see the harm. 

the problem is it doesn’t. The average black household was more successful in the 60s than now. CRT is a very loud over politicized RED HERRING attempted explanation. And worse, it just going to waste more time in the wrong vector.

kids are genetically wired to have a mom and dad. Now in today’s world, I don’t think it matters if that mom or dad is lgbtq, or both, but two parents running a household are a multiplier for success IRRESPECTIVE OF RACE!!  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2