Coach K retiring…

YoloinOhio

The guys and I were talking last night at the bar after our softball game about K retiring.  What do you think the ticket price on the secondary market for the last game of the regular season @ Cameron against the Heels is going to go for next March?  

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Coach K is one of the best that's ever done it 

Even on a bad day he's better than 95% of coaches. They're absolutely going to take a hit for a bit

Duke is absolutely going to take a step backwards. Does it mean they're going to be irrelevant? No .. but even Alabama took years to find her footing after Bear Bryant left

Coach K is Duke. The brand will not be the same 

I'm not saying they're going to be trash either. I'm just saying they're not going to be perennial top 10

They haven't been perennial top 10 in years with K.  I just don't understand what you are trying to say.  K is not leaving on a high.  Quite honestly, the last 5 years have been some of the worst coaching performances in CBB.

Coach K has made Duke, but he is not Duke.  They have become their own brand now.  The college bb brand will never be the same, that applies to Duke too, with or without K.

19 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

They haven't been perennial top 10 in years with K.  I just don't understand what you are trying to say.  K is not leaving on a high.  Quite honestly, the last 5 years have been some of the worst coaching performances in CBB.

Coach K has made Duke, but he is not Duke.  They have become their own brand now.  The college bb brand will never be the same, that applies to Duke too, with or without K.

I don't know how you're saying they're not perennially top 10 with Coach K

In the final AP poll they finished top 10..  11 times in the last 15 years.. 7 out of last 10... more than any program

4 elite 8 in the last 8 years

They're not winning national championships like they used to.. that doesn't mean they're not a top 10 team 

Which statistically they absolutely are

Edited by Buffalo716

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't know how you're saying they're not perennially top 10 with Coach K

In the final AP poll they finished top 10..  11 times in the last 15 years.. 7 out of last 10... more than any program

4 elite 8 in the last 8 years

They're not winning national championships like they used to.. that doesn't mean they're not a top 10 team 

Which statistically they absolutely are

I'm talking recent.

Since 2015 National Championship, they have been largely a disappointment.  There has been consistent good teams during the last 5 years, and Duke has not been one of them.

Gotta retire sometime.

For a guy like him though, the current state of affairs in college basketball probably gets less inspiring with each passing season.  You essentially work to capture lightning in a bottle for one year before all your freshman and sophomore superstars declare for the NBA Draft.  

It's something - since 1990 only Duke and Florida have won back to back championships.  Duke did it in 1991 and 1992.  Florida did it in 2006 and 2007.   

6 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm talking recent.

Since 2015 National Championship, they have been largely a disappointment.  There has been consistent good teams during the last 5 years, and Duke has not been one of them.

When you are recruiting largely one and done and two and done talent

Sometimes you have a few teams that don't gel for a couple years 

You have schools like Gonzaga and Villanova and Virginia which are upper classmen heavy , and they might not have the top 10 recruits that Duke has... But they have top 50 recruits

And they're seniors with experience

Talented Duke teams which are freshman and sophomore heavy sometimes just get outclassed on a day by an older savvier team

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.