The Bills are the most complete team in the NFL.

13 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

TB returns 22 starters who won em the Superbowl. And the Bucs and Billls have both treaded water this off-season. Bills lost to KC last season - TWICE. At this point at least these two teams have more complete rosters.

Clearly Beane is still not satisfied - why create additional cap room if you are satisfied with the roster?

I'm not satisfied either. There are good posts in this thread pointing out the weaknesses. Nonetheless, most complete is a relative term. If you have fewer weaknesses than other teams, you are more complete. I think Gunner basically has it right. Personally, I am hoping Ford somehow rehabs and blossoms at guard. We need interior toughness on OL. Not sure how one can expect big impact from rookie DL. Mainly, have to hope Epenesa and Oliver take a step up and you get something from the young guys. I am with those fellas who would invest in Steve Nelson. Wouldn't mind Ertz, I suppose, but I'm not sure how much he has left (and I'm sick of that conversation.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I would agree our OL is somewhat underwhelming. We've discussed their run blocking weakness constantly. And Josh does mask some occassional pass protection breakdowns. Until we beat the Chiefs we'll always be chasing them. But with this said I love our ownership, gm, hc and culture/process. These 4 areas have given the fans of Buffalo reason to be incredibly optimistic over the next decade. We will find a way to beat KC, get into a SB and finally win one. 

I agree with you. Beane and McDermott are very good at what they do. They have accomplished a lot in a short period of time. I also think they win a Super Bowl with Josh. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We have had this debate numerous times this offseason in different forms. The Bills have the fewest "holes" in the AFC. KC has more elite talent. 

this 

57 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Did you become a Hall of Fame poster for well thought out, analytical posts like this?

He did. You can become one as well -with 20,000 more excellent posts like this! Wait! ...nevermind..

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So last year this was simply not true, and just asserting it or wishing and hoping it's true doesn't make it so.

Let's look.

1. Offense.  Last year the Bills had the #2 scoring offense in the NFL.

All well and good, but while we had some success running the ball against specific teams in specific games, we did NOT have consistent success running the ball when we needed to against other teams (Titans, Colts, KC).  Bills 19th in the league for YPA rushing.

Improvements for this year: some lower-tier FA and three draft pick additions on OL.  Matt Breida, who played well for SF and not much for Miami, at RB

Verdict: A complete offense needs a better run game.  Top defenses throttle a one-dimensional game.  Uncertainty as to whether the improvements are enough.

2. Defense.  Last year the Bills had the # 16 defense.  One argument is they started out poor and improved as the season went on, and they most definitely came up big in some key moments.  Even so, I think it would be a stretch to argue that they became a top-10 defense.  Run defense: bottom-half of the league, tied for 24th.  1st downs: 17th 1st downs, 25th in 1st downs by rushing.  17th or 18th in the league for sacks, similarly mediocre in other statistics "affecting the QB"

Improvements for this year: no big moves.  Signed a developmental vet (Obada) and two draft pick additions on DL.  Questions about depth at CB and S.

Verdict: a complete D needs to be better at stopping the run and affecting the QB.  The Bills D right now is that vexing employee you have who can be absolutely brilliant at times, but at other times just doesn't get the routine stuff done consistently.  Uncertainty as to whether the improvements are enough.

My Overall Assessment: Last year the Bills were not the most complete team in the NFL, with notable lacks in the running game (offensively and defensively) and at getting pressure from the front-4.

A lot will depend upon injuries and returning players - if Milano can stay healthy and if Star returns and gives us a better 1T rotation, if our OL is healthier or new players make us better at run blocking, and if Breida returns to form and/or Singletary takes a step. 

Then there's the question of whether our acquisitions in FA/Draft make us better able to affect the opposing QB.

That's a lot of Ifs between the Bills and being the most complete team in the league.

I wish I could understand why true football fans who follow the Bills wont admit and acknowledge their running game goes through the ‘’4-legged’ , fast, strong, stiff-arm bashing, DL smashing, swivel-hipped monster named Allen? Take a closer look at his runs -whether by design or ad-libbed. The downfield blocking is nothing short of spectacular-and it doesn’t necessarily rely on OL. A signal is given that ‘the octopus is on the run!’ and these guys don’t even look back -they just wipe out the closest guy to them. It’s truly a thing of beauty that belies standard assumptions about the football rushing game. There’s no better player in the League than him on short yardage, yet he can make himself small to deftly evade a pass rusher. To not include this phenomena in team rushing stats is to completely miss the mark and blindly overlook the new game in town. 🤷‍♂️

THIS is the new model every team wants to emulate. 

P.S. Ertz sucks.

Edited by Chandler#81
added a Post Script
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I agree with you. Beane and McDermott are very good at what they do. They have accomplished a lot in a short period of time. I also think they win a Super Bowl with Josh. 

Agreed.  This is Andy Reid's 2nd coaching stint and Mahomes was a god send for him after struggling to win with Alex Smith.   Then the pieces fell in place.

This is the first HC and GM job for McDermott and Beane...they are getting there...

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We have had this debate numerous times this offseason in different forms. The Bills have the fewest "holes" in the AFC. KC has more elite talent. 

Yeah? Where is the hole in KC?  Please, enlighten usz

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah? Where is the hole in KC?  Please, enlighten usz

I think they still have holes at outside corner - Breeland has not been replaced (he isn't the best but had a career year in 2020) some assume L'Jarius Sneed is just going to move outside and dominate as he did in the slot but I need to see it before I go there. Their starting defensive end opposite Frank Clark is Taco Charlton cut by the Cowboys and Dolphins who both need pass rushers and played just 8% of the defensive snaps in KC last year. They are also very reliant on rookies stepping in straight away at center and linebacker and have a question mark still at right tackle. 

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree that the Bills are the most complete team in the NFL.  TE is certainly a weakness, but we were also weak at run blocking, RB, DL, and pass rush, just to name a few.  We're hoping Star's return helps the DL, and that Jerry Hughes doesn't hit the wall.  No immediate help at OL or RB, so we'll see what happens.  I still think the Bills go anywhere from 14-3 to 12-5 in the regular season, but we may not get over the hump this year.  Hope I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, DJB said:

Yes!!! Another hidden Ertz thread!!!

House will be proud.

I feel like an auctioneer, do we hear 50 pages, my good man Gugny says 51, do we hear 55, 55, 55, yes my good man 3/12 says 55, do we hear 60, 60, 60, yes the old curmudgeon Mr. get off my lawn Chandler says 60.

My god, trade for him or make this please end!  This is like the never ending Rodgers thread which followed the never ending Watson thread.  

Im officially Ertzed out.

Sold to Mr. Hapless for 61.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they still have holes at outside corner - Breeland has not been replaced (he isn't the best but had a career year in 2020) some assume L'Jarius Sneed is just going to move outside and dominate as he did in the slot but I need to see it before I go there. Their starting defensive end opposite Frank Clark is Taco Charlton cut by the Cowboys and Dolphins who both need pass rushers and played just 8% of the defensive snaps in KC last year. They are also very reliant on rookies stepping in straight away at center and linebacker and have a question mark still at right tackle. 

If KC’s message boards are anything like this one their fans are predicting an 8-9 season based upon that assessment.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I still think the Bills go anywhere from 14-3 to 12-5 in the regular season, but we may not get over the hump this year.  Hope I'm wrong.

This is where I am too. My hope is that they get the #1 seed and that KC (who do have a tough schedule) get the #3 and have to go on the road to #2 Cleveland. I think at the moment matchup wise Cleveland potentially represent the toughest test for KC head to head and the winner of that game coming to Buffalo even if it is KC will have been involved in a real battle the week before. That's our best shot of making the Superbowl IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

If you look at their roster from top to bottom the Bills are the most complete team in the NFL. The weakest position imo is the TE position but if the Bills do make a move for Ertz this position would be solidified as well. In addition I love the continuity of the core of roster and of the coaches. Barring injuries and regression I would think that more of the national pundits would have the Bills to be the team to beat. I suppose one could make a case for Tampa as well but them being in the NFC should definitely make the Bills the top team in the AFC at the very least.

The Bills still have weakness in their D-line. Until we know how well their draft picks pan out it is the glaring hole in the roster right now.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

House will be proud.

I feel like an auctioneer, do we hear 50 pages, my good man Gugny says 51, do we hear 55, 55, 55, yes my good man 3/12 says 55, do we hear 60, 60, 60, yes the old curmudgeon Mr. get off my lawn Chandler says 60.

My god, trade for him or make this please end!  This is like the never ending Rodgers thread which followed the never ending Watson thread.  

Im officially Ertzed out.

Sold to Mr. Hapless for 61.

NO FAIR!  😡 @Hapless Bills Fan was holding my hand down!!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not satisfied either. There are good posts in this thread pointing out the weaknesses. Nonetheless, most complete is a relative term. If you have fewer weaknesses than other teams, you are more complete. I think Gunner basically has it right. Personally, I am hoping Ford somehow rehabs and blossoms at guard. We need interior toughness on OL. Not sure how one can expect big impact from rookie DL. Mainly, have to hope Epenesa and Oliver take a step up and you get something from the young guys. I am with those fellas who would invest in Steve Nelson. Wouldn't mind Ertz, I suppose, but I'm not sure how much he has left (and I'm sick of that conversation.)

I agree and quite a few others do.......I wish someone would put him out of the equation and scoop him up.....Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We are solid but I wouldn't say complete. We can't run at will, we're weak at the point of attack on defense, and we lack a top end pass rusher. 

Noone runs "at will" in today's NFL.  Even the Titans.  The ability of Josh Allen as a passer runner and leader makes up for most of those deficiencies.  The defense will need to bump it up a couple notches this season.  If they do that, we are a serious contender to take it all.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is where I am too. My hope is that they get the #1 seed and that KC (who do have a tough schedule) get the #3 and have to go on the road to #2 Cleveland. I think at the moment matchup wise Cleveland potentially represent the toughest test for KC head to head and the winner of that game coming to Buffalo even if it is KC will have been involved in a real battle the week before. That's our best shot of making the Superbowl IMO. 

What do you think is the reason why KC's offense slowed down in the last 4-5 games except against us?

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Noone runs "at will" in today's NFL.  Even the Titans.  The ability of Josh Allen as a passer runner and leader makes up for most of those deficiencies.  The defense will need to bump it up a couple notches this season.  If they do that, we are a serious contender to take it all.

I agree. Run game offense really doesn't concern me. 

• Agree 1