Check out the highlights of Ohio State’s 2022 QB commit, #1 overall rated recruit Quinn Ewers (update: skipping senior season of HS and reclassifying to 2021 class)

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fields won the Elite 11 over Lawrence but I felt like Lawrence was a high school phenom 

Lawrence was. But scouting is all about what have you done for me today

By November of their senior years Fields was all the rage because he was the newer toy

Lawrence was throwing 35 touchdowns in 5A ball as a frosh and after the year given the 5*

Fields really stepped on scene heavy the summer going into his SR year.. so he got alot of publicity and hype that Lawrence had for years already that died a bit 

Lawrence could've been drafted out of HS.. Fields not so much 

• Like (+1) 1

Ewers obviously has some learning to do. Watching his play against Austin Westlake in the State Championship, he made some bad decisions in that game. The #1 QB should be able to overcome High School play, even against a dominant team like Westlake. Give him a year or two before you expect greatness. He's not Trevor Lawrence or even Kyler Murray.

9 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Ewers obviously has some learning to do. Watching his play against Austin Westlake in the State Championship, he made some bad decisions in that game. The #1 QB should be able to overcome High School play, even against a dominant team like Westlake. Give him a year or two before you expect greatness. He's not Trevor Lawrence or even Kyler Murray.

All of the recruiting analysts seem to disagree with you but I didn’t watch that game or analyze him myself. I do think he will have a tough time beating out any of the incumbents next year, even if one of the 3 transfers, which would be expected. 

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

All of the recruiting analysts seem to disagree with you but I didn’t watch that game or analyze him myself. I do think he will have a tough time beating out any of the incumbents next year, even if one of the 3 transfers, which would be expected. 

Which is a good thing. It's tough going from HS to college, playing as a true freshman. He is good, has a cannon arm, but you kind of need to let performance on the field do the talking. He has a learning curve, just like any other rising HS player. Speed increases at each level. He'll be playing against 11 guys now with similar skills to the player that picked him twice in the Championship.

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2021 at 5:59 PM, buffaloaggie said:

Trevor Lawrence couldn't single-handedly carry his team to a state championship his SR year 

His final HS game statline was like 16-29 for 146 yards   and the offense only put up 17 

As a huge favorite... 

Lawrence couldn't overcome that high School defense in his last game.. that's not an indictment on him 

Sometimes people have a bad day.. ewers on his bad day was over 300 yards 3tds with a few bad picks... Not like he was 14-30 170 yards , 1 td 3 picks  

The one interception was an Odell Beckham one-handed grab. Not your typical interception

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Trevor Lawrence couldn't single-handedly carry his team to a state championship his SR year 

His final HS game statline was like 16-29 for 146 yards   and the offense only put up 17 

As a huge favorite... 

Lawrence couldn't overcome that high School defense in his last game.. that's not an indictment on him 

Sometimes people have a bad day.. ewers on his bad day was over 300 yards 3tds with a few bad picks... Not like he was 14-30 170 yards , 1 td 3 picks  

The one interception was an Odell Beckham one-handed grab. Not your typical interception

Trevor Lawrence - Sophomore year State Champion, Junior year State Champion

Trevor Lawrence (Sr)15-28 142 yds 1TD 0 INT in that game. His Senior season, he threw 41 TDs and 1 INT. It wasn't mistakes on Lawrence's part that lost the game. His O-line let him down, and his WRs dropped 5 or 6 passes, 3 of them could have easily TDs. Yes, I lived in Georgia then and remember it well. Still, no picks that day.

Point is, Ewers needs to learn, and now he's apparently more worried about making money of off his NIL than he is about further developing his skills by skipping his HS Senior season. His attitude is leaning more towards Tate Martell rather than Justin Fields. Hope he gets his priorities straightened out.

4 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

Trevor Lawrence (Sr)15-28 142 yds 1TD 0 INT in that game. His Senior season, he threw 41 TDs and 1 INT. It wasn't mistakes on Lawrence's part that lost the game. His O-line let him down, and his WRs dropped 5 or 6 passes, 3 of them could have easily TDs. Yes, I lived in Georgia then and remember it well. Still, no picks that day.

Point is, Ewers needs to learn, and now he's apparently more worried about making money of off his NIL than he is about further developing his skills by skipping his HS Senior season. His attitude is leaning more towards Tate Martell rather than Justin Fields. Hope he gets his priorities straightened out.

I watched Trevor Lawrence in high School as a scout.. even if his o line let him down, he still has the athleticism to make things happen on his own which he didn't do.. he could have tucked and ran but he didn't

It's the only point that I'm making. Lawrence didn't evade pressure all night and make things happen. He could have tucked it more and used his athleticism to win

Ewers isn't the prospect Lawrence is , but even number one prospects have off games.. it was 100% an off game for Trevor Lawrence 

That's all it was for quinn ewers..

and to call him Tate Martell who committed to like four different colleges in high school, and is now on his third University , it's kind of an attack on him personally.. 

He's always been talked about as coming in the 21 class possibly and now that he can get paid why wouldn't you? Doesn't make him a douchebag , he's good enough to be at Ohio State right now 

And Ewers is in the toughest conference in Texas, Lawrence, no so much 

This is all devil's advocate just to make my point that one game doesn't matter. Lawrence was the best high school player I ever saw tho.. I said he could be drafted in the first round out of high school 

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

I actually think, money aside, he’s more likely to further develop his skills with the Ohio state coaches, learning the offense, getting into their S&C program, etc if he does leave early. Essentially it’s only 5 months earlier than he was going to be there as an early enrollee in Jan 2022. 

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually think, money aside, he’s more likely to further develop his skills with the Ohio state coaches, learning the offense, getting into their S&C program, etc if he does leave early. Essentially it’s only 5 months earlier than he was going to be there as an early enrollee in Jan 2022. 

Absolutely

Ewers will learn infinitely more and progress way faster at Ohio State than another year at Southlake Carroll

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely

Ewers will learn infinitely more and progress way faster at Ohio State than another year at Southlake Carroll

Certain kids can do this. Ohio state already has a freshman DE - Jack Sawyer- who skipped his senior season of HS football as well, he was a top 5 recruit overall and felt it was more important to start developing for college than to play another year. Admittedly he had already started for 3 years and his senior year was shortened due to covid so it wasn’t a normal situation. He still went attended class in HS in the fall but he trained for college football and then enrolled in January. 

I believe there was a CB at North Carolina who did this last year too - Tony Grimes? 

Edited by YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Certain kids can do this. Ohio state already has a freshman DE - Jack Sawyer- who skipped his senior season of HS football as well, he was a top 5 recruit overall and felt it was more important to start developing for college than to play another year. Admittedly he had already started for 3 years and his senior year was shortened due to covid so it wasn’t a normal situation. He still went attended class in HS in the fall but he trained for college football and then enrolled in January. 

I believe there was a CB at North Carolina who did this last year too - Tony Grimes? 

Happens decent amount. Happens more in basketball but kids reclassify or graduate early for football 

OSU has been cleaning up in recruitng.. I'm disappointed you act like I wouldn't know who Jack Sawyer is

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Happens decent amount. Happens more in basketball but kids reclassify or graduate early for football 

OSU has been cleaning up in recruitng.. I'm disappointed you act like I wouldn't know who Jack Sawyer is

I didn’t think you would tbh! He played HS ball 10 min from me and his coach played him at QB his junior year because their guy was ineligible and Sawyer was the best player they had, and he got hurt. No wonder he didn’t want to play another year with his ticket already punched to Ohio state. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t think you would tbh! He played HS ball 10 min from me and his coach played him at QB his junior year because their guy was ineligible and Sawyer was the best player they had, and he got hurt. No wonder he didn’t want to play another year with his ticket already punched to Ohio state. 

I was a regional scout for over a decade! Of course I know a 5* guy from Ohio!

And yea he was a decent QB! He made it work

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

@YoloinOhio 

It is crazy to think that a defensive player the caliber of Sawyer would be asked to quarterback his team as well

I feel like if he was in 6A ball in Texas, he's not playing both ways

They call him the “Third Bosa” … I’m not quite ready to do that simply because i need to see it in an actual game but he has the same profile  and already a polished pass rusher for his age 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

They call him the “Third Bosa” … I’m not quite ready to do that simply because i need to see it in an actual game but he has the same profile  and already a polished pass rusher for his age 

Yea I've read the comparisons  

The one thing with him is I'm not sure how much more bulk he can add .. he was known as a workout machine in high school.. already super chiseled at 240 

I think he's going to be a leaner pass rusher playing in the 250s like Jerry

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.