Was there a defining moment you remember being sold on McDermott’s process?

24 minutes ago, BTB said:

Bottom line...Josh’s play has a lot to do with the “process” looking good.  If the Bills had ended up with Rosen and more 6-10, 7-9 and 8-8 seasons, then how would the “process” look?

Ah, but the process includes making as many good decisions as one is able to, so the selection of Allen is part and parcel of said process. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I might have to say either the Thanksgiving win at Dallas or the win a few weeks later at Pittsburgh.  Those were just the types of games Buffalo seemed to lose in he past even during the few "better" years like 04 and 14.  Those two games just seemed to prove more than any others prior to last year that this was a coaching staff more committed to winning than others in the past.

5 hours ago, Buftex said:

Of course that is all true...but at the time, I really didn't think some of them were necessary...I didn't really understand the "process", all I saw was some of our best talent getting shipped out, and being replaced by second-tier, journeymen types.  I was of the belief that were closer to being a playoff team than we were to the bottom. I was convinced that Ryan was the biggest obstacle to breaking the drought, followed by a better QB. I thought Taylor was good and steady enough to be QB for a playoff team built around the run game, and a stout defense. Turns out he was. 

Of course it all worked out much better, and faster, than I believed it could. Glad I was wrong...glad it worked out the way it did...but just giving my thoughts on why it took me a little longer to come around to Beane, than it did McDermott. 

I think the issue was - they were also never going to compete for a super bowl without a QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BTB said:

Bottom line...Josh’s play has a lot to do with the “process” looking good.  If the Bills had ended up with Rosen and more 6-10, 7-9 and 8-8 seasons, then how would the “process” look?

They made the playoffs with Tyrod... The process looked pretty good accomplishing that.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buftex said:

I remember how much grief he took for that move. I wasn't a Tyrod-hater, but it was abundantly clear by that time, they weren't really going anywhere with him at QB.  The Peterman gambit, as disastrous as it turned out that week, showed that McDermott was willing to think outside the box.  Up to that point, I couldn't really read him. It was obvious from that move, as bad as it turned out, he wasn't somebody who was going to stand pat and settle for mediocre, and he wasn't afraid to take a chance.  We had been so conditioned, to that point, to that sort of "old school" approach by our head-coaches...you know, the guys who say "they have to earn their time in the lineup" when you knew damn well, they were just going to stick with the vets...

I pretty much liked McDermott from the outset.  It took me a little longer to warm up to Beane. Early on, I wasn't really sure who was responsible for what, even though McDermott, for all intents and purposes hired Beane.   At the time, I didn't feel like the roster that they inherited from Rex/Whaley needed a major overhaul...they just needed a QB, and to add some better talent at some positions.  I thought Ryan's teams were just massive underachievers, more than untalented.  

This was pretty much my take s well. I think McDermott took too much heat for trying Peterman when clearly Tyrod could not consistently move the team through the air.

I just watched that Atlanta game. The Bills played a disciplined game. What hit me was how bad some of the players, like Tolbert, were. And Zay Jones, who back then for some reason I thought had promise, was a liability. He just could not win any sort of contested catch and stood out as a guy without heart. The receivers on that team were just plain bad. 

Edited by Dr. K

17 hours ago, Buftex said:

Of course that is all true...but at the time, I really didn't think some of them were necessary...I didn't really understand the "process", all I saw was some of our best talent getting shipped out, and being replaced by second-tier, journeymen types.  I was of the belief that were closer to being a playoff team than we were to the bottom. I was convinced that Ryan was the biggest obstacle to breaking the drought, followed by a better QB. I thought Taylor was good and steady enough to be QB for a playoff team built around the run game, and a stout defense. Turns out he was. 

Of course it all worked out much better, and faster, than I believed it could. Glad I was wrong...glad it worked out the way it did...but just giving my thoughts on why it took me a little longer to come around to Beane, than it did McDermott. 

Again, what you say here was exactly what I thought back then. I hated Rex from day one and thought he was the problem with the team's performance. I hated McDermott shipping out what I thought were better players for a bunch of stiffs. I thought "the process" was woo-woo hype. 

I was wrong.  

20 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Year one, for me. Taking that team as far as he did was just shy of a miracle. 

Agreed.   You could tell pretty early on he wasnt a different sort of guy.   He was less talk more action, where as many of the coaches before him were all talk no action.

• Like (+1) 1

His first season showed a lot of promise but you knew the team was going to be retooled across the board so it was cool to see him take a team he didn't build to the playoffs. 

The 2018 season sold me. Week in and week out you'd hear the analyst weenies talk about how ready and amped up McDermott had the team and how they probably shouldn't have even won the 6 games that they did. The fact that he had his guys playing hard in meaningless games is a testament to a good coach who has a good connection with his players. 

2019 I remember thinking, "I guess the style of ball he wants to play is score just over 20 and play super tough defense." Then 2020 happened and showed me how wrong I was on that notion. 

So yeah, impressed in 2017 and really bought in throughout 2018. It's so nice to see where they are now. 

It was at St. John Fisher,  the second or third training camp practice under this new coach.  It got hot and things got lackluster out there.  The players were going through the motions.

McDermott blew his whistle and ran from position group to position group, directing everyone to the center of the field.  We couldn't hear what was said, but you could tell by McDermott's gesticulations that he was reading them the riot act.

The players then hustled back to their position groups with palpably improved purpose and focus.  Some of us in the crowd, who had regularly attended training camp during the relaxed Rex Ryan years, sensed that we had just witnessed the changing of the guard.

The most impressive thing for me is his willingness to embrace a pass first offense. Crucify me if you want but I’m still not sold on McD. This is still the same guy that started Peterman and Murphy. He is still the same guy that has seen his defense get shredded from time to time. He is still the same guy to be out coached by Andy Reid twice last year.  
All that said, one of the biggest plays in franchise history was made by Taron Johnson dropping back in a McD zone defense while rushing four guys.  His scheme produced one of the great wins in franchise history. 

• Like (+1) 2

Three moments as it built in legitimacy with him.

2017: Win in ATL. This was a game Buffalo forever last during the drought and he had the guys pull it out against a really good Falcons squad that was in the SB the previous year. It felt like the type of statement game that marked a new day.

2018: Jags. That game felt like a playoff game for two teams not going to the playoffs and I was impressed with how hard he had them playing for a team going nowhere.

2019: Jets opener. This to me defined the current era of the Bills being resilient and what he wants. They got some bad breaks early on and some teams would've mailed it in. Instead his belief to follow the process to the end paid dividends in the comeback. I wonder honestly if they would've had the same season if they lost. I think that game was incredibly important to setting the tone for being a winning playoff team year in year out.

13 hours ago, BTB said:

Josh Allen=The Process! :)