Was there a defining moment you remember being sold on McDermott’s process?

I was impressed with Sean his first year for sure but still not necessarily sold.  If I recall the division was weak that year and the team finally got some breaks in order to squeak into the playoffs.  Long overdue.

In reality the last game of 2018 against Miami is when I started to really believe in what he was going for.  It said a lot too me the team was still growing and trying hard until the bitter end.  Yes I know we’ve seen the Bills win numerous meaningless week 17 games before but that week felt different.  For one thing Josh had his best game of the season that day...  not enough to completely sell me on him but enough for me to feel comfortable with him going forward.  

There was a lot of debacles that year and growing up done as well.  But hey growing up typically ain’t easy and full of growing pains. 

Edited by Another Fan

Making the playoffs in his first year (9-7) with that roster was impressive. I think it was his second year in 2018 that sold me. They gutted the roster for salary cap purposes and to get younger, and many of the "experts" thought the Bills would be the worst team that year. He still managed to get 6 wins out of a roster that probably had no business winning 2 or 3 games. I was sold at that point that we had a good coach. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Making the playoffs in his first year (9-7) with that roster was impressive. I think it was his second year in 2018 that sold me. They gutted the roster for salary cap purposes and to get younger, and many of the "experts" thought the Bills would be the worst team that year. He still managed to get 6 wins out of a roster that probably had no business winning 2 or 3 games. I was sold at that point that we had a good coach. 

That year?  Many of those experts were speculating that we were one of the worst teams of all time (particularly after a player quit at halftime).  The discussion for THAT year was if we were better than Alabama.  So yeah, going 6-10 that year was impressive.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

That speaks VOLUMES no?  LOL!!!! 🤣🤣

It's pretty funny, if nothing else.

For what it's worth, I like Scott and his posting, even if he comes off as a negative-nancy sometimes. But I also like busting his chops about it just as much.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Between peterman and anderson there were 4 games that you could just chalk up as losses no matter who the opponent was. 

So they went 6-6 in Allen starts - One loss was the clay drop, the houston game was tight and peterman really blew it at the end, Jets game the defense failed after taking the lead.  So 3 games that probably could have gone eithr way that went against buffalo.

Game four of the 2017 season against the Falcons. 

Why?

First of all, that game put as at 3-1 with a roster that -- frankly -- had no business being 3-1. We were giving significant snaps to guys like Mike Tolbert, Brandon Tate, Malachi Dupre, Ramon Humber, Adolphus Washington, and Shareece Wright. 

McDermott had elevated THAT roster to a 3-1 record!

That third win came against a 3-0 Falcons team with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, in their house.

It was ABUNDANTLY clear watching McDermott's team that they were disciplined, well coached, played hard, and played as a TEAM that was more than the sum of its parts.

Watching Rex Ryan's circus and then watching McDermott's Bills was like night and day. I thought to myself, if this guy is coaching THIS roster to play this well and this disciplined and to win football games, just wait until he gets some actual talent to utilize. Furthermore, he was coaching a team through a full-on rebuild in a way that did not de-emphasize wins. At no point did they ever "tank" or disregard the idea of trying to win. It's a big reason that I think players and fans alike bought into McDermott's process. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 9

For me - it was how much the team responded to the Peterman incident.  Coach tried to spark the offense after an absolutely terrible performance the week before (Tyrod's line - 9/18 56 yards, 1 INT, 2 sacks for 6 yards loss - so 20 pass plays that resulted in 50 yards plus his scrambles).  

Got the team ready to play in KC, with Tyrod re-instated at QB, and won.  Team was 5-5 and looking like a team that could finish like 6-10 and got them to win 4 of the last 6 games.

• Like (+1) 3