Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

14 minutes ago, Magox said:

Most likely the majority of those funds is to lock up Josh.

I don’t think so… they don’t need cap space in 2021 to do that unless this is to roll over to next year. Seems like it would be early to have to create rollover though 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think so… they don’t need cap space in 2021 to do that unless this is to roll over to next year. Seems like it would be early to have to create rollover though 

If they extend Josh now, and keep his 5th year as-is, can't they spread some of his new contract bonus into this year to lessen the hits over the life of the new contract?

For example, if new contract is 5 years with a $60M bonus (just making up numbers), they can spread that bonus out over all 6 years so it's a $10M/yr hit and not a $12M/year. No?

28 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I feel like this moreso confirms that Diggs is going to get a restructured deal next season more than it does anything else.  

This money could be just for Greg and the just-in-case fund.  

I’m personally fine with our DB’s as they held up well last season.  Plus, our pass rush is supposed to be better, which makes them better.  

I’d also be more than fine with them getting Ertz

This isn’t true.  Bonuses are considered supplemental income and are taxed at a higher rate.  Some companies may not code it the right way, which is why you haven’t seen it.  

If you go to the IRS site, they break it down more.  

I used to get bonuses all the time and the tax rate was closer to 40-42%

More is with held but at the end of the year its still income.  So at the end of the year it is still taxed at the same rate as provided by the example.  You just dont get as much upfront.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If they extend Josh now, and keep his 5th year as-is, can't they spread some of his new contract bonus into this year to lessen the hits over the life of the new contract?

For example, if new contract is 5 years with a $60M bonus (just making up numbers), they can spread that bonus out over all 6 years so it's a $10M/yr hit and not a $12M/year. No?

Hmmm I don’t think so, he’s entering into the 4th year of a 4 year deal. If they  extend him now they can override the 5th year option in 2022 but I think 2021 is what it is. Could be wrong. 

6 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Well....I am torn between getting a player this year OR save it for next year to help with Allen's and Edmund's contracts.

this year, if you have the chance to win it all you take it, who knows what the situation will be next year.

24 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Do you mean that Diggs and Beasley compliment each other well or that they’re good complimentary pieces to another WR in an offense? 

Because if you’re telling me the WR who lead the NFL in catches and yards in the #2 ranked offense in the game is just a “complimentary piece” I’m going to have some questions…. 

the bills offensive system turned him into a complimentary piece. He averaged 12 YPC - 3rd lowest of his career, and about 65th in the NFL.

but that’s not meant to denigrate him in the least. He is an ELITE route runner, the best weapon in the NFL at the Z. The Bills did exactly what they should have with him - turn him into a monster under 20 yards, and clowning #1 and #2 corners in the midrange game. For someone like Josh Allen who loves to hold the ball that’s a real threat.

Basically Stefon Diggs is the best Z in the NFL. I only call it complementary because he enables offenses to grind first downs and convert 3rd downs, but they don’t necessarily enable explosive plays. When i looked it before, the Bills were around 10th when it came to explosive plays from the WR position.

And again I’m not saying that’s a bad thing - if given the choice between being a feast or famine offense (reliant on explosive plays, poor 3rd down conversion, high TD/Drive rates) or a grinding offense (chews up 1st downs, converts 3rd downs, high RZ efficiency), Id choose a grinding offense.

but someone like Julio, can be both focal point AND complementary, and unless we drastically change Diggs’ responsibility in this offense, you can’t say the same about him, because he’s not gonna get you those kind of explosive plays with his current role.

so basically I’m not saying Diggs isn’t good enough to be the focal point of the WRs and offense, but rather the Bills offense doesn’t ask him to

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Well, that's Hill not helping himself and showing that he's a moron more than anything. If you don't accept, it means you are intentionally hampering your team for no reason. If my work said, "here's your entire year's wages" I'd say yes too.

As long as i didn't get more taxes taken out.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

This may be right though. Star's cap # is $9.2M in dead weight if a post June 1 cut. 

There’s just no value in cutting Star. See what kind of shape he’s in when he gets here, and leave him on the bench until he gets in better shape. You don’t really lose anything with that, the way his contract is. 

41 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I feel like this moreso confirms that Diggs is going to get a restructured deal next season more than it does anything else.  

This money could be just for Greg and the just-in-case fund.  

I’m personally fine with our DB’s as they held up well last season.  Plus, our pass rush is supposed to be better, which makes them better.  

I’d also be more than fine with them getting Ertz

This isn’t true.  Bonuses are considered supplemental income and are taxed at a higher rate.  Some companies may not code it the right way, which is why you haven’t seen it.  

If you go to the IRS site, they break it down more.  

I used to get bonuses all the time and the tax rate was closer to 40-42%

The withholding is higher but not the actual tax once everything is reconciled at the time of the return being filed.  Income is income whether it comes from commissions, bonuses, or whatever.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, appoo said:

the bills offensive system turned him into a complimentary piece. He averaged 12 YPC - 3rd lowest of his career, and about 65th in the NFL.

but that’s not meant to denigrate him in the least. He is an ELITE route runner, the best weapon in the NFL at the Z. The Bills did exactly what they should have with him - turn him into a monster under 20 yards, and clowning #1 and #2 corners in the midrange game. For someone like Josh Allen who loves to hold the ball that’s a real threat.

Basically Stefon Diggs is the best Z in the NFL. I only call it complementary because he enables offenses to grind first downs and convert 3rd downs, but they don’t necessarily enable explosive plays. When i looked it before, the Bills were around 10th when it came to explosive plays from the WR position.

And again I’m not saying that’s a bad thing - if given the choice between being a feast or famine offense (reliant on explosive plays, poor 3rd down conversion, high TD/Drive rates) or a grinding offense (chews up 1st downs, converts 3rd downs, high RZ efficiency), Id choose a grinding offense.

but someone like Julio, can be both focal point AND complementary, and unless we drastically change Diggs’ responsibility in this offense, you can’t say the same about him, because he’s not gonna get you those kind of explosive plays with his current role.

so basically I’m not saying Diggs isn’t good enough to be the focal point of the WRs and offense, but rather the Bills offense doesn’t ask him to

🤨

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

There’s just no value in cutting Star. See what kind of shape he’s in when he gets here, and leave him on the bench until he gets in better shape. You don’t really lose anything with that, the way his contract is. 

This staff and FO don't play. We saw it with Dareus, Benjamin, Jones, Spain, it doesn't matter. If you aren't in the plans, or serve no purpose, then they will not be wasting a roster spot on you and have no issues working their way around the $$$ involved. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

This staff and FO don't play. We saw it with Dareus, Benjamin, Jones, Spain, it doesn't matter. If you aren't in the plans, or serve no purpose, then they will not be wasting a roster spot on you and have no issues working their way around the $$$ involved. 

But his entire 2021 salary is guaranteed and Bills are already up against cap in 2021.  It’s actually better for Bills to pay him to stay home than to cut him.  

Honestly, I think Ertz can impact this offense currently as much as Julio. Ertz being that safety valve for Josh will help keep the chains moving and eventually give Diggs/Sanders/Beasley more room to operate. Ertz will help the run game too. Although, I wouldn’t cry if they did acquire Julio

Edited by Solomon Grundy

Just now, H2o said:

McDermott seemed less than pleased in Star’s absence at his presser. If he thinks he’s dead weight on the team and will hurt more than help them due to attitude etc I could see them moving on in an addition by subtraction move. Of course I don’t know if any of that is the case 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hmmm I don’t think so, he’s entering into the 4th year of a 4 year deal. If they  extend him now they can override the 5th year option in 2022 but I think 2021 is what it is. Could be wrong. 

They wouldnt need to override the 5th year. Just tack the new contract onto the end. Much like the Eagles did with Wentz, and the Texans did with Watson. And like we did with Tre White.

Since they executed the 5th year option, he is technically on year 4 of a 5 year deal. Any extension would be added on after, unless they chose to override it. That 5th year is worth $23M, I dont think the average of his new contract will be any less, so might as well keep the 5th year in place and get an extra year out of it.

Really, my only question is if teams can spread bonuses from extensions into the existing contracts. Which I think they can do, but can't find any good evidence either way.

Edited by DrDawkinstein