Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You asked if it had anything to do with Allen extension. And I answered. Allen’s new contract when it is done is an extension. It will have no impact on his salary in 2021. It’s how the CBA works for second contracts of draft picks. So the answer to your question, freeing up salary cap space in 2021 has nothing to do with Allen’s extension.

Yes, this is about making a move and adding someone this year.

2 hours ago, teef said:

interesting.  can this have anything to do with a new josh contract?

I'm praying it does. 🙏 I just want him locked in for the next decade. I don't want any BS happening in the mean time like him being low-balled or another team reaching out to him. I'm a paranoid **** by nature. Just get er' done, Beanes! 

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I'm praying it does. 🙏 I just want him locked in for the next decade. I don't want any BS happening in the mean time like him being low-balled or another team reaching out to him. I'm a paranoid **** by nature. Just get er' done, Beanes! 

i don't think you'll see this.  this team has been in desperate need for a qb for a very long time, and i can't imagine there's any scenario where he isn't signed.  as ethan mentioned, this money may not be for that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Green bay has Adams, one of the best WRs in the league and Titans have AJ Brown. 

Yeah but that’s all they have. If Julio went to Green Bay, that would be a dangerous offense. Also Rodgers is still bitching about wanting  another WR. I’m sure if they trade for him and get him, then Rodgers will go from wanting out to wanting to stay put and being happy

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Julios best destination is either Green Bay or Tennessee. Both those teams are starving for a number 1 WR. 

Davante is probably the best WR in football and Brown is pretty darn good too.

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BillsShredder83 said:

Davante is probably the best WR in football and Brown is pretty darn good too.

Rodgers is still bitching about the WR position. If they traded for Julio then I guarantee that would shut Rodgers up and would go from wanting out of Green Bay to wanting to stay put. 

59 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Tax code for player checks if all bonus money is paid upfront will be based on nys tax code player checks are from the states where the game is re florida has no state income tax

What about the prevailing tax rate?  Maybe it's better to get it now before NYS leg raises taxes on ultra wealthy.  So maybe the Bills did him a bit of a favor in the long run here.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Rodgers is still bitching about the WR position. If they traded for Julio then I guarantee that would shut Rodgers up and would go from wanting out of Green Bay to wanting to stay put. 

I dont disagree with that, just "starving for a #1" was overkill. I do think GB should be heavily involved, but won't because they act spiteful with Rodgers. It's baffling 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I could be wrong but I think some of you guys that want either Ertz or Julio are going to be disappointed. This restructure is most likely to make room for Allen and Edmunds extensions. Don’t be surprised or disappointed if Beane doesn’t go for either Ertz or Julio in a trade.

I think it could be Ertz...it is one named (by Beane) position of some need, that they haven't really addressed in a big way.  Hollister could turn out to be decent (and so too could Knox), but neither has the track record of Ertz.  I feel like they are freeing up the money for something specific.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I could be wrong but I think some of you guys that want either Ertz or Julio are going to be disappointed. This restructure is most likely to make room for Allen and Edmunds extensions.

I don't understand this stuff very well, but why would moving cap hit our of 2021 into later years help in extending these two guys?   The extensions will primarily hit in those later years two.   I would think that if you're working on extending them, you'd want MORE room in the later years, rather than restructuring other guys so you have less room. 

It seems to me it must mean that there is an acquisition coming that they need cap room for this season.

• Like (+1) 3

Probably for a cornerback (Nelson) and tight end (ertz)

But Julio is tempting from a fan stand point

Are the bills in the fantasy football equivalent of when you make a wavier claim on someone just so your oppenent doesn't get him? In this case I'm referring to the bills grabbing Julio so that a team like the colts or ravens doesn't

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We save more if Addison is cut now being that its June 1?

Yes, but Addison's finances make it a bad move.  While you save more, the Bills still lose out on significant cap space.  Butler, on the other hand, has cap savings of around $4mill if traded.

IMO, this could be the move to unlock enough for Ertz and Nelson.  I would be ecstatic.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I could be wrong but I think some of you guys that want either Ertz or Julio are going to be disappointed. This restructure is most likely to make room for Allen and Edmunds extensions. Don’t be surprised or disappointed if Beane doesn’t go for either Ertz or Julio in a trade.

Agree with @Shaw66, Josh and Tremaine are on the books for this year so you dont need to free space THIS year for their contracts.  Overall, I don't expect Tremaine to get an extension till probably after his 5th season.  Really need to see sustained growth with him.  

I do agree this is more likely to be an uexpected move.  My dark horse is for a 1 Tech and now that Star doesnt cost money to cut they bring in some competition.

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't understand this stuff very well, but why would moving cap hit our of 2021 into later years help in extending these two guys?   The extensions will primarily hit in those later years two.   I would think that if you're working on extending them, you'd want MORE room in the later years, rather than restructuring other guys so you have less room. 

It seems to me it must mean that there is an acquisition coming that they need cap room for this season.

I agree that this is likely an acquisition move but a move like this could be an Allen extension. This would allow the team to spread the QB cap hit out over an additional year which could end up being a slight net positive

6 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Are the bills in the fantasy football equivalent of when you make a wavier claim on someone just so your oppenent doesn't get him? In this case I'm referring to the bills grabbing Julio so that a team like the colts or ravens doesn't

No, the bills have a cap that most fantasy football leagues dont have.  Particularly ones where you make that type of move.

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I agree that this is likely an acquisition move but a move like this could be an Allen extension. This would allow the team to spread the QB cap hit out over an additional year which could end up being a slight net positive

Are there any examples of that type of contract structuring happening.  Also would note were talking about moving up 7 mil.  That would be 1.4 mil per year savings if a 5 year deal.  Not even that much benefit imo.

Edited by YattaOkasan