Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

59 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

so it wasn't for Julio...

what's the next player/trade to take over my twitter feed?

Well Bears fans would be real unhappy if Packers traded for Mitchell Trubisky to handle QB duties until Love was ready.

Start that rumor.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Waiting stinks, seems like Eagles are playing hardball

Their leverage is that they can wait until cut down day to release Ertz for cap purposes.  The only problem with that is that don’t want him in the building where they’d be on the hook for his salary if he got injured.  So the likely endpoint for this is just prior to the start of training camps on July 27th.  

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Waiting stinks, seems like Eagles are playing hardball

Or the delay could be with Ertz/his agent and the Bills.  They may have negotiated a 4th or 5th for Ertz already dependent upon Ertz signing a contract with the Bills.

Determining a fair contract is a nightmare.  And if the Bills are trying to get more than one year, the terms are even more complicated.  Fair Market Value for Ertz is tough to figure, such a huge possible range.

On 6/7/2021 at 10:47 AM, Einstein's Dog said:

Or the delay could be with Ertz/his agent and the Bills.  They may have negotiated a 4th or 5th for Ertz already dependent upon Ertz signing a contract with the Bills.

Determining a fair contract is a nightmare.  And if the Bills are trying to get more than one year, the terms are even more complicated.  Fair Market Value for Ertz is tough to figure, such a huge possible range.

What if this isn't even Ertz?

This waiting is driving me crazy

On 6/7/2021 at 10:47 AM, Einstein's Dog said:

Another possibility is that the Bills have zero interest in Ertz because he blows.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Another possibility is that the Bills have zero interest in Ertz because he blows.

Zero interest is pretty much out.  But like JJ before him, the Bills FO probably has a set price range and draft capital and won't move much from it.

And don't be fooled whatever amount the Bills are thinking, it is the most the Bills have ever paid for a TE.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Zero interest is pretty much out.  But like JJ before him, the Bills FO probably has a set price range and draft capital and won't move much from it.

And don't be fooled whatever amount the Bills are thinking, it is the most the Bills have ever paid for a TE.

Why is zero interest out?  Because a bunch of reporters and fans are speculating?  One thing I’ve noticed about Beane is that he doesn’t typically target whiny crybabies who have not only been unproductive lately but have also been injury prone and detrimental to team chemistry.  But hey, there are exceptions to every rule so maybe.

• Eyeroll 2

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Why is zero interest out?  Because a bunch of reporters and fans are speculating?  One thing I’ve noticed about Beane is that he doesn’t typically target whiny crybabies who have not only been unproductive lately but have also been injury prone and detrimental to team chemistry.  But hey, there are exceptions to every rule so maybe.

Pretty far fetched to think the Bills haven't been checking Ertz out.  Not only multiple reports/leaks but Beane said we didn't have the elite type TE that required game planning.  Vegas odds put the Bills as the most likely landing spot.

Beane does his own due diligence and determines if there is a fit, this wouldn't be an exception - see S Diggs.

4 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Pretty far fetched to think the Bills haven't been checking Ertz out.  Not only multiple reports/leaks but Beane said we didn't have the elite type TE that required game planning.  Vegas odds put the Bills as the most likely landing spot.

Beane does his own due diligence and determines if there is a fit, this wouldn't be an exception - see S Diggs.

Vegas odds.  Lol.

It is understandable Beane would want an elite tight end.  If he wanted an elite car do you think he’d be hanging out at the Kia dealership?  Do you think he’d buy a used Kia that had a flat tire and bad brakes?  At least cars can’t have crap attitudes like Ertz.  At this point in his career he requires the same amount of game planning as the kid who runs onto to the field to pick up the tee after a kickoff.

Shirley you can’t be serious comparing Ertz to Diggs.  That’s a joke right?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Vegas odds.  Lol.

It is understandable Beane would want an elite tight end.  If he wanted an elite car do you think he’d be hanging out at the Kia dealership?  Do you think he’d buy a used Kia that had a flat tire and bad brakes?  At least cars can’t have crap attitudes like Ertz.  At this point in his career he requires the same amount of game planning as the kid who runs onto to the field to pick up the tee after a kickoff.

Cars can have crap attitudes. I can attest to that. BTW, ever read the book Christine or watched the movie?

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Vegas odds.  Lol.

For someone who disregards all evidence of the Bills interest in Ertz, it's ironic that you're so quick to buy into the theory that Ertz has a bad attitude.  What sources do you have for that?

Much like with JJ, this is not interest related, but price related.  Sounds like you wouldn't be on board for Beane to go north of $13M for Ertz.  Normally I'd ask what you would be willing to pay, but you don't seem rational on the subject.

And don't kid yourself, getting an upper tier TE, Ertz, is the biggest upgrade the Bills could do for the Offense (over RB, over JJones, biggest).

12 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What did the Bills pay for Clay?

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What did the Bills pay for Clay?

Average salary was around 7.5 mil from what I remember

FWIW I think the best move is to save the space and wait until training camp to use it.

We will have an injury eventually.

Edited by 716er

Still waiting to see what this cap space was cleared out for. But the longer it sits unused, the more it seems like it is for someone who is currently on another roster at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Looks like Clay got 5yrs for $38.5M. 

So I stand by my comment, got to pay Ertz over $8 - K Pitts is getting $8.5M and J Smith got over $12M.

The Pats overpaid for two TE's. I hope Beane doesn't even take their stupidity into account if/when we make a move for Ertz and sticks to his guns about what he's willing to pay. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 716er said:

Average salary was around 7.5 mil from what I remember

$10M signing, $10M roster bonus the following year, total $24.5M guaranteed.  Only $5M cap hit the first year, but $13.5M the second year.$38M overall

So I guess it depends upon how you look at the question “most the Bills have ever paid for a TE”