Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sure I remember there being a thing about them changing his positional designation to Tight End before final cut downs.

They might have done it after the first game but he was definitely listed as a FB for the first one.  I didn't check further than that.

Edited by Doc

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's about time we start another Ertz thread. 😃🙃

This has been the most drawn out, telegraphed trade I can ever remember. I'll just be glad to have it over and done with, sign Nelson or Sherman and call it a day.

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Hollister is supposedly looking good at OTAs so far, already seems to have a better connection with Allen than Knox. This won't be a popular opinion on here but if we do actually trade for Ertz, Knox isn't a lock to make the team.

Plenty of teams utilize 3 TEs.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

GB, I’m betting they keep JA, and Trubisky, and have a slot for a PS QB like Jake from State Fromm.  Webb is probably cut.  

As far as the $, it’s possible it was freed up for Ertz, but consider teams like to have $2-3 mil. This means they have truly free around $7 mil.  It could be for Ertz, another player or getting parsed into the Allen and Edmunds contracts.  I have no idea.

The comments above on Ertz is correct in that his numbers prior to last year were not far off Kelce’s career numbers.

A couple of comments:

1.  Hope they figure out a way to keep Webb, I like the guy.

2.  For Ertz I'm thinking they may try and move one of the DL that are not in Buff.  For instance someone mentioned that Butler would be a $4M reduction if traded.  Could be a way for the genius Beane to add Ertz and Nelson.  

3.  Adding Ertz not only brings in his skills.  It would add the hidden benefit of defensive attention and adjustment that should benefit others.  Ertz feasts on zones and that would be a real problem to the latest D used against the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

They might have done it after the first game but he was definitely listed as a FB for the first one.  I didn't check further than that.

Not sure where youre looking but this article indicates the switch happened before cut down day and before the first game on 13SEP. 

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/09/02/buffalo-bills-could-reggie-gilliam-make-the-roster-as-a-tight-end/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posters saying we shouldn't trade for Ertz because Hollister "looks good"

When Jay Reimersma is the greatest  Bills TE of all time its easy for most TE's to  "look good". 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

Posters saying we shouldn't trade for Ertz because Hollister "looks good"

When Jay Reimersma is the greatest  Bills TE of all time its easy for most TE's to  "look good". 

Correct me if I am wrong, but Hollister has 2 practices in May/June that reporters could see. How can he "look good" enough where anyone could make any kind of judgement about how he will fare this year? Offseason be crazy

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Not sure where youre looking but this article indicates the switch happened before cut down day and before the first game on 13SEP. 

https://buffalowdown.com/2020/09/02/buffalo-bills-could-reggie-gilliam-make-the-roster-as-a-tight-end/

It's from the opening day gamebook, which is the official record.  I copied the link but it would let me paste it here.

In any case, it's semantics.  The Bills kept 4 TEs.

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes but it’s been many years since he reported anything 

Do you happen to remember what he broke?

He said:

FWIW, Buffalo Fanatics is saying

image.thumb.png.219dfc84e9232ec43536f65122f44b15.png

Dunno what "lot of Buzz" means to them.  I know they're plugged in with a bunch of players but players don't necessarily know what the FO is doing.  And a lot of people have been speculating Ertz Ertz Ertz for months.

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They actually kept 4 with Gilliam as the 4th, he was listed as a Tight End and lined up very little at full back. He was really on the team as the 4th tight end and a core special teamer. But their history does suggest they keep 4 players in that combination of Tight End and Full Back roles and have done so even when the talent level at those spots has been low. I'd be tempted to go with 3 but I expect them to go with 4.

They kept 4 TE's in 2020........and statistically their run game was better using 12 personnel and their pass game wasn't diminished by using 2 TE's(there was a lot of statistical data posted about it early in the prior Ertz thread).

Being able to threaten the seam is a valuable aspect of their passing game that the Bills have been notably deficient in.........without it the safeties are able to pay more attention to the sidelines,  which makes it harder for a team with modest deep speed on the outsides to complete field stretching passes.

It would be great if an Ertz acquisition was in unison with a deep threat WR.........but I do think a quality, reliable, veteran,  athletic TE option like Ertz would give the boundary receivers a bit more breathing room on deeper routes over the course of a season.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you happen to remember what he broke?

He said:

FWIW, Buffalo Fanatics is saying

image.thumb.png.219dfc84e9232ec43536f65122f44b15.png

Dunno what "lot of Buzz" means to them.  I know they're plugged in with a bunch of players but players don't necessarily know what the FO is doing.  And a lot of people have been speculating Ertz Ertz Ertz for months.

I don’t remember. I think it might have been the Shaq Lawson injury at TC but tbh it was so long ago I’m not sure 

Edited by YoloinOhio

The melodrama around this Ertz trade has been really annoying and,  frankly embarrassing to the professionals involved who... if this were the routine with every freakin transaction,  could not reasonably operate in such an environment and keep their cool/ sanity... The leaks have to be on the Philly side.  We just haven't seen this kind of BS from Beane's shop. I know as a fan I should be glad I've been getting a scoop on this for three months,  but it's actually really not a satisfying experience,  lol

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why would Philly pay any of Ertz’s salary?  They only have $2m in cap space.

His current cap hit is already factored in to their cap space. If they retain say $8 million of his $13 million cap hit, they would still get $5 million back in cap space.

In normal trade conditions they wouldn't have to retain any part of his salary, but since Ertz is basically refusing to stay with the team they have no leverage. They can either eat some of his salary to make sure they get a draft pick back for him, or they can release him for nothing and still get hit with $8 million in dead cap. Beane is a smart GM and knows he has the leverage.

• Like (+1) 1