Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d be surprised if he weighs more than 250lbs right now.  He can’t play at that weight.  Probably why he hasn’t been in Buffalo.  

so skip Ertz ?  Bills have secretly converted Star L to TE

finally some one listened to me

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Probably converting to DE

close lol

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hollister is supposedly looking good at OTAs so far, already seems to have a better connection with Allen than Knox. This won't be a popular opinion on here but if we do actually trade for Ertz, Knox isn't a lock to make the team.

24 minutes ago, DJB said:

I'm always suspicious of these little accounts. 

Feel like they dart throw...hope it happens and tell everyone they have sources. 

Then when it doesn't they just fade away because nobody will remember anyways. 

Lasal has been around for awhile fwiw 

I think some folks on here are underestimating Ertz. Has he had some injury trouble? Yep. QB trouble? You bet. But he came into the league the same year as Kelce and is almost the same age and has comparable stats. No one is suggesting Kelce is too old or washed. I’m not suggesting he’s Kelce good or that stats tell the whole story, but we’ve had a dearth of talent at the TE position for forever and I’d love to add his production to this offense. Especially, if it doesn’t require us to give up much. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hollister is supposedly looking good at OTAs so far, already seems to have a better connection with Allen than Knox. This won't be a popular opinion on here but if we do actually trade for Ertz, Knox isn't a lock to make the team.

Maybe, but who do you keep over Knox?  Have Sweeney, Gilliam or Becker shown enough to keep over him?  Or do they keep the UDFA Morris?

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Maybe, but who do you keep over Knox?  Have Sweeney, Gilliam or Becker shown enough to keep over him?  Or do they keep the UDFA Morris?

I think they like Gilliam as the TE/h-back hybrid. If Ertz and Hollister are here I don't know where Knox fits in. If anything I'm guessing they'd just trade him.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think they like Gilliam as the TE/h-back hybrid. If Ertz and Hollister are here I don't know where Knox fits in. If anything I'm guessing they'd just trade him.

Last year they kept 3 TEs and Gilliam as a FB.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

Ah wow I completely forgot about Lee Smith. Yeah if they keep 3 TEs Knox is safe, I still see him as 3rd on the depth chart though if we get Ertz. I'm optimistic about Hollister.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure how credible but 

His bio says he’s a Giants beat writer 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The second tweet (Lasal) is far more believable than the first McGuigan), IMO. 

5 hours ago, Doc said:

They actually kept 4 with Gilliam as the 4th, he was listed as a Tight End and lined up very little at full back. He was really on the team as the 4th tight end and a core special teamer. But their history does suggest they keep 4 players in that combination of Tight End and Full Back roles and have done so even when the talent level at those spots has been low. I'd be tempted to go with 3 but I expect them to go with 4.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They actually kept 4 with Gilliam as the 4th, he was listed as a Tight End and lined up very little at full back. He was really on the team as the 4th tight end and a core special teamer. But their history does suggest they keep 4 players in that combination of Tight End and Full Back roles and have done so even when the talent level at those spots has been low. I'd be tempted to go with 3 but I expect them to go with 4.

It'll be interesting how things line up this year don't know if we'll keep 3 QBs on the main roster.

17 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It'll be interesting how things line up this year don't know if we'll keep 3 QBs on the main roster.

And without wishing to turn yet another thread into a vaccines minefield I think vaccines will factor into that decision. If Josh and Trubisky are both vaccinated I see no reason to carry a third Quarterback. If one of them isn't I would expect the Bills to carry a "quarantine" Quarterback again similar to last year because you can suddenly lose your QB room in one fell swoop. 

GB, I’m betting they keep JA, and Trubisky, and have a slot for a PS QB like Jake from State Fromm.  Webb is probably cut.  I understand the vaccine comment, but it’s going to keep coming up.  They really made a mistake discussing it whether it’s Josh’s research answer, or the silliness of Poyer’s wife, or Beasely.  The last two can have a private opinion, but they draw attention to a topic vs. just decide what you want or don’t want to do.

Its certainly not going to be difficult to figure out as more press is allowed at some of the practices as they.l see who has to wear a mask, and who doesn’t.  The Bills will want to stay in compliance with the league as they are paying attention.

As far as the $, it’s possible it was freed up for Ertz, but consider teams like to have $2-3 mil. for emergencies going into the year.  Well they had $3mil.  They still haven’t finished all contracts for rookies so that’s another $1mil.  This means they have truly free around $7 mil.  It could be for Ertz, another player or getting parsed into the Allen and Edmunds contracts.  I have no idea.

The comments above on Ertz is correct in that his numbers prior to last year were not far off Kelce’s career numbers.  He’s not any older or been hurt for several years.  Whether they decide to take him or not is their call.  Someone mentioned we only had 3 TE’s last year which is not true as Sweeney went out for multiple reasons in season, and they did have Kroft, Smith, Sweeney, Knox, and Gilliam as TE/H.  Right now we have Knox, Hollister, Sweeney, and Gilliam.  If we pick up Ertz, then we’ll drop most likely either Sweeney or Gilliam.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Ah wow I completely forgot about Lee Smith. Yeah if they keep 3 TEs Knox is safe, I still see him as 3rd on the depth chart though if we get Ertz. I'm optimistic about Hollister.

It will be interesting to see the depth chart regardless.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, they kept 4 TEs, but they listed Gilliam as a FB, at least for the season opener (as per the gamebook).  The point being Knox still likely makes the top-4 spots.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, they kept 4 TEs, but they listed Gilliam as a FB, at least for the season opener (as per the gamebook).  The point being Knox still likely makes the top-4 spots.

I am sure I remember there being a thing about them changing his positional designation to Tight End before final cut downs.

• Like (+1) 1