Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

What about the prevailing tax rate?  Maybe it's better to get it now before NYS leg raises taxes on ultra wealthy.  So maybe the Bills did him a bit of a favor in the long run here.  

The tax rate for all pros is actually less than the 45percent for 7 figures people and nys person income tax I believe is the 2nd highest to CA in the country 

36 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Personally I see better ways to spend the money. But at the same time - covering Diggs and a healthy Jones? With Beasley, Davis and Sanders...

and Davis and McKenzie and that new RB. I am sure Moss look improved in all areas after a proper offseason

and Devin will improve his game. Both surely are working on the passing game as well.

we might already be loaded at catching options.

12 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I get that such a situation can look bad, but it’s not bad from a cap perspective as the two year hit is the same.  You might be pointing at a team using the extra space to overextend itself and that would definitely create problems.  The potential other issue I saw on the Steelers years ago.  They’ve been restructuring a lot of players like this for years.  Usually it’s worked out fine, but they have had players underperform (due to getting paid and phoning it in, getting off the juice, getting old, etc.) whom they couldn’t cut right away.

In general as long as a team is responsible it’s good to kick cap down to future years.  One benefit is that future cap hits are discounted by the percentage of the increase in cap.  Obviously 2020 threw a wrench in this, but for example if the cap rose a steady 5% per year then signing bonus hits would be discounted by 5% every year.  A $4M SB on a 4 year deal would show $1M each season, but due to the 5% annual cap increase they would be equivalent to $1M, $950k, $902.5k and $857.4K.  So you can see why teams love to utilize this to their advantage. 

yup- only gets you in trouble when you do it with a guy that doesn’t work out to sign another flop. 

but signing two bad players is a problem regardless.

restructures make the player happy and add flexibility for the GM. It’s win win, generally speaking 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

Actually, I thought you might have been claiming solid knowledge on Diggs' reasons/motivation for agreeing to the extension*. That or you were just being a cynic who likes to introduce some dark clouds into the bit of sunshine this news brought.

But I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Since you didn't claim to have any special friendship,  or business association with Diggs, how would you have any idea what he considered or his motivations? Obviously helping the team make a nice signing this year helps the team. Why might that not be a factor in Diggs decision?

*It was mentioned some restructures MIGHT not require a players consent. Even if that were the case, I doubt the Biils would just impose it without dealing with Diggs first. 

It could have been a factor. At the end of the day, though, I was just pushing back against the narrative that he was making a sacrifice for the team. He didn't make a sacrifice, I don't expect him to, but I'm not going to go out of my way to praise him for essentially accepting most of his yearly salary all at once rather than in weekly installments.

The fact that they are making cap room is exciting, I don't think I was taking away from that at all.

14 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I know but I think of Tyreek Hill who said "once Im signed, Im signed" and that he wouldnt restructure 

Nice to not have that problem 

Wait till those Feet slow down he might look at it different

I cannot see adding another big $$$ receiver especially an old one that plays more than 11 games a year in domes or warm weather.

The Bills are loaded at WR.

CB2 and TE or a QB killer DE are what they need right now.

11 hours ago, BillsDude said:

Is anyone following Pegula's plane? Please update, so I can determine our next Bill. Thanks.

Bills mafia close to the airports  in ATL & Philly will need hourly updates on this thread, 

thank you 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, teef said:

interesting.  can this have anything to do with a new josh contract?

Best guess so far.

I'd expect a few cheap contracts a million or two on a CB or two maybe, a TE maybe. Money for signing the one or two draftees we haven't signed yet, and then hopefully signing Josh and Tremaine late in the season if things go well, and keeping an injury replacement fund.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1