Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

If Diggs had a say in the matter, then it is absolutely good for the team to clear some cap for this year. The bill still comes due, but this isn't the best time for the Bills to pay that bill. If the Bills can now sign a CB/TE or re-up Josh, how can that not be good for the team?

You misunderstood what I said.

33 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Good insight?  It's an anti-Ertz article, doing a contrarian take to get clicks (got mine).  Started poorly pretty much from the start with "The Bills as a team presumably in 'We can win a Super bowl and should try to do that no matter the cost".  What?  Whose presumption is that?  That's not how the Bills have operated at all.

They cherry pick the poor years of Ertz, instead of using career averages.  They then use the horrendous recent years and think/imply Ertz will be used in the same way  at Buffalo.  Philly had terrible luck/talent/injuries at WR and Ertz out of necessity had his role changed.

This would not be an awkward fit for the Bills.  I don't know, did this guy write the same thing about Diggs.

I got good insight from it. I think it’s just some of you guys don’t want to hear it. You don’t want to hear the negativity and the reality of it all. All you see is, Ertz will get us to the Super Bowl, he’s the missing piece etc. when in reality our secondary needs the most work not TE. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The boring version is that this is just to make sure we have some wiggle room this season in case we need someone come week 3 due to injury, which is really what I think it is.

Interesting perspective, I didn’t look at this way. Like I said, I think some people on this board are getting there hopes up for something that’s most likely not going to happen. I just don’t see us trading for either Ertz or Jones. That’s just my opinion 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I got good insight from it. I think it’s just some of you guys don’t want to hear it. You don’t want to hear the negativity and the reality of it all. All you see is, Ertz will get us to the Super Bowl, he’s the missing piece etc. when in reality our secondary needs the most work not TE. 

I agree with you '98.  Giving up a draft pick and his cap hit would not be worth it IMO.

If he is cut and wants to sign for 1 year <$5M that's a different story.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Well....I am torn between getting a player this year OR save it for next year to help with Allen's and Edmund's contracts.

No need to be torn the cap is skyrocketing within a few years, plenty of money to go around...potentially will be up over $100 million in 5 years

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree with you '98.  Giving up a draft pick and his cap hit would not be worth it IMO.

If he is cut and wants to sign for 1 year <$5M that's a different story.

Exactly, if Philly can’t find a trade partner then they’re only options are either keeping him for the season or cutting him loose completely. If they cut him loose then sure go make an offer and see if he’ll accept it. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills clear $7.8M in cap room and they haven't traded for Ertz yet?  I'm done with this team!

Lol I hope that’s sarcasm. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

to be fair the Chiefs DBs in that game got to play with a different set of rules than the rest of the NFL.

Also the Bills WRs resembled the cast of the Walking Dead after a battle 

Yeah and I got the receipts. They tried the same thing vs Tampa and got their hand caught in the cookie jar 

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

True, in that I want Ertz.  Doesn't mean the article isn't flawed. 

The idea that Ertz would take away snaps from Beas or Diggs is ridiculous.  Just because Ertz played there in Philly, doesn't mean he would do that in Buffalo.  He's taking snaps away from Knox.

Another mark they use against Ertz is his declining man to man percentages.  Even if you believe them, what team employs a man to man scheme against Buffalo these days?  It was suicide last year.  It's a plus to Buffalo if Ertz was tearing apart zones.

You trade for Ertz because you do not want Ertz hitting the open market.  The Bills will lose out in a bidding war.  In a trade you get the contract negotiation done before the deal is made.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I believe I’m the one who said Star would show up a shredded 315.

Ill take my prize now 😂

After he actually shows young lad....

8 hours ago, Beerball said:

He lost nothing here. You do understand that?

Beane has a plan. 👨‍🔬

McBean might have been a bit sarcastic and speaking in a Minnesota  type accent as well ^^

sorry still reading about this very good news for everyone involved  :)

In no order:

Ertz (trade not FA)

Julio Jones (trade not FA)

Sheldon Richardson

Steven Nelson
Brian Poole

Melvin Ingram

Richard Sherman

Justin Houston

KJ Wright

Olivier Vernon

Le'Veon Bell

Malik Hooker

Darqueze Dennard

Tre Boston

Kawann Short

Jurrell Casey

Geno Atkins

Todd Gurley

Kwon Alexander

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

In no order:

Ertz (trade not FA)

Julio Jones (trade not FA)

Sheldon Richardson

Steven Nelson
Brian Poole

Melvin Ingram

Richard Sherman

Justin Houston

KJ Wright

Olivier Vernon

Le'Veon Bell

Malik Hooker

Darqueze Dennard

Tre Boston

Kawann Short

Jurrell Casey

Geno Atkins

Todd Gurley

Kwon Alexander

I know nothing, but i see zero reason to waste capital on Jones.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Beerball said:

I know nothing, but i see zero reason to waste capital on Jones.

Personally I see better ways to spend the money. But at the same time - covering Diggs and a healthy Jones? With Beasley, Davis and Sanders...

10 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Well....I am torn between getting a player this year OR save it for next year to help with Allen's and Edmund's contracts.

Gotta be for Josh’s extension.  Beane said it would be priority after draft.

2 hours ago, Boxcar said:

You misunderstood what I said.

Actually, I thought you might have been claiming solid knowledge on Diggs' reasons/motivation for agreeing to the extension*. That or you were just being a cynic who likes to introduce some dark clouds into the bit of sunshine this news brought.

But I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Since you didn't claim to have any special friendship,  or business association with Diggs, how would you have any idea what he considered or his motivations? Obviously helping the team make a nice signing this year helps the team. Why might that not be a factor in Diggs decision?

*It was mentioned some restructures MIGHT not require a players consent. Even if that were the case, I doubt the Biils would just impose it without dealing with Diggs first. 

• Like (+1) 3