Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

Just now, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Because "aging" doesn't matter if you only have him for one year, and obviously people are banking on the production drop being from offensive dysfunction in Philly.

Whether or not you agree is a different matter.

I can see how one can make the argument about Philly’s offense being dysfunctional and Wentz etc. But several can make the argument that his production dropped a huge amount last year and that he’s injury prone. But We’ll see what happens

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they would prefer to override the 5th year because otherwise they take that entire 5th yr option cap hit in 2022 and the extension picks up in the 6th yr. If they extend him beforehand they can spread it out (similar to Mahomes)

Yolo, technically Mahomes is playing on his 5th year option.  THEN starting in 2022 is his 10 year contract.

KC didn't take the whole 5th year option hit because they restructured.

The unique deal about Mahomes contract is that it didn't have a big signing bonus.

A lot of his guarantees are tied into roster bonuses and salary guarantees.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

Edited by ColoradoBills

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That is your payroll system withholding that money because they use an aggregate method. You get it back when you file your taxes. Even if the bonus is considered supplemental income, the tax rate there is only 22% (or 25%?) in the end.

People always get confused with this. They think the money is lost forever and seem to forget about filing taxes at the end of the year when it is all evened out. I would expect all NFL paychecks are taxed at the highest tax rate on every paycheck. So they dont even have to worry about more being taken out of this check or that one. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

People always get confused with this. They think the money is lost forever and seem to forget about filing taxes at the end of the year when it is all evened out. I would expect all NFL paychecks are taxed at the highest tax rate on every paycheck. So they dont even have to worry about more being taken out of this check or that one. 

I was actually surprised a while back when I learned players are W2ed and not 1099ed. But that probably saves a lot of dumb players from big trouble every April.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I can see how one can make the argument about Philly’s offense being dysfunctional and Wentz etc. But several can make the argument that his production dropped a huge amount last year and that he’s injury prone. But We’ll see what happens

Can he catch passes that hit him in the hands? If so, he's an upgrade over Knox.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't know. He still looks sharp to me. I know Allen and Davis got him. I just love the fit. We play so much cover 3, that's what he lives on. 

I think he looked done last year. It would have to be a very cheap deal for me to consider it.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, appoo said:

to be fair the Chiefs DBs in that game got to play with a different set of rules than the rest of the NFL.

Also the Bills WRs resembled the cast of the Walking Dead after a battle 

What does that have to do with the Bills DBs in game?  We gave every target 5 yards of room in the first half.  We tried to play more man and play aggressively in the second half and we got torched even worse.  People act like because we play a lot of zone, that we don’t need good corners.  That’s nonsense.  The scheme can make up for some deficiencies, but if we can’t win with scheme, we can’t make it up in other ways because our corners can’t be trusted in man.  If we play a lot of man on 3rd down....we should have another corner that can cover well in man. 

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was actually surprised a while back when I learned players are W2ed and not 1099ed. But that probably saves a lot of dumb players from big trouble every April.

Can he catch passes that hit him in the hands? If so, he's an upgrade over Knox.

But can he run routes and create separation from defenders and also run block when we run the ball?? That’s real question not if he can just catch

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

If it's a signing I hope it's CB2. I'm sorry unless ertz comes for cheap I don't think he brings that much to the table. Honestly I think speed out of the backfield was much more of a need than TE production and I think we quietly took care of that with brieda. So why spend way more money on what was less of a need?

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What does that have to do with the Bills DBs in game?  We gave every target 5 yards of room in the first half.  We tried to play more man and play aggressively in the second half and we got torched even worse.  People act like because we play a lot of zone, that we don’t need good corners.  That’s nonsense.  The scheme can make up for some deficiencies, but if we can’t win with scheme, we can’t make it up in other ways because our corners can’t be trusted in man.  If we play a lot of man on 3rd down....we should have another corner that can cover well in man. 

ah my bad I misinterpreted your post. Agree with the problem you identify, but think our prescription is different. When Mahomes is given time, I don’t know how any NFL defense copes with the versatility and explosiveness of KCs weapons, given Mahomes arm talent. At that point, you’re just picking how you want to die.

Ita gonna have to be pressure. Either manufactured through the blitz or from the front 4

• Agree 3

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you give Pat Mahomes all day to stand there, he will pick any DBs in the league apart.  I guarantee it.

Seriously - who would hold up in coverage against Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill for the kind of time Mahomes got from us?

I'm not trying to say we don't need an upgrade at DB or at the very least, quality depth because I'm on record as saying we do.

But  IMO the big Achilles heel for our D vs KC was DL.

You are obviously not wrong about Mahomes but I disagree. I think the biggest issues in the championship game were 1. Coaching 2. Coverage. I don't know if a pass rush would have helped. The Chiefs had guys running wide open from the snap on what seemed like every play. WIDE open, guys just running free all over the place. 

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you give Pat Mahomes all day to stand there, he will pick any DBs in the league apart.  I guarantee it.

Seriously - who would hold up in coverage against Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill for the kind of time Mahomes got from us?

I'm not trying to say we don't need an upgrade at DB or at the very least, quality depth because I'm on record as saying we do.

But  IMO the big Achilles heel for our D vs KC was DL.

I agree that the pass rush was awful and was part of the reason.  Our DBs weren’t even close to their WRs and TEs.  They weren’t wide open just because of the pass rush.  The way I see it, which could be off base, our coaches are hamstrung into playing select coverage because of our cb2.  He has to have extra help, which opens up other areas.  Tremaine has the biggest coverage zone I’ve ever seen.  While Tremaines instincts may not be top notch yet, the area he is accounting for is a tough cover for any lb.  Part of that is because Hyde is usually shaded closer to Wallace than I think a safety would normally be.  

like you said, we need an upgrade at Cb.  Pass rush was the biggest problem..... and having a limited cb2 made the problem ever worse.  While I hope our Rousseau, Basham and Obada can make our pass rush a strength, I’m not sold that it’ll be enough for 2021

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-zach-ertz-trade-bills/amp this is a good insight on the good and the bad of an Ertz trade

Good insight?  It's an anti-Ertz article, doing a contrarian take to get clicks (got mine).  Started poorly pretty much from the start with "The Bills as a team presumably in 'We can win a Super bowl and should try to do that no matter the cost".  What?  Whose presumption is that?  That's not how the Bills have operated at all.

They cherry pick the poor years of Ertz, instead of using career averages.  They then use the horrendous recent years and think/imply Ertz will be used in the same way  at Buffalo.  Philly had terrible luck/talent/injuries at WR and Ertz out of necessity had his role changed.

This would not be an awkward fit for the Bills.  I don't know, did this guy write the same thing about Diggs.

10 minutes ago, appoo said:

ah my bad I misinterpreted your post. Agree with the problem you identify, but think our prescription is different. When Mahomes is given time, I don’t know how any NFL defense copes with the versatility and explosiveness of KCs weapons, given Mahomes arm talent. At that point, you’re just picking how you want to die.

Ita gonna have to be pressure. Either manufactured through the blitz or from the front 4

I agree, a top notch pass rush would fix it....

I just don’t think our offseason results have given us a top notch pass rush.  Rousseau, Basham and Obada are nice adds, they just don’t stand out to be as huge difference makers for this season.  A season in which we can win the SB with an improved D

6 hours ago, Process said:

There is no difference in tax rate for a salary vs a bonus

Athletes pay state income taxes to the states where they play their games.  When schedule was 16 games, Diggs and every other Bills player would pay NY state income taxes for 8 home games out of 16 total games = half their salary.

If structured properly, signing bonuses are taxed by the player's state of residence, not where the athlete plays games.  I  don't know which state Diggs claims as his residence, but converting salary to a signing bonus gives the player the opportunity to have the bonus money (1) taxed by a lower tax state if the player maintains his permanent residence in a state with lower income tax rates than NY, or (2) taxed by no state if the player resides in FL, NV or a few others.

From https://awmcap.com/blog/how-your-mlb-signing-bonus-is-taxed

"The first critical piece of information you must understand is how your signing bonus will be taxed.

What constitutes a true “signing” bonus has often been a matter of disagreement between taxpayers and taxing authorities.  Taxing authorities routinely challenge taxpayer “signing bonus” assertions, often prevailing under the ruling that the bonus relates to all provisions in the contract, not just the act of signing.  If not a “signing bonus,” the income is apportioned as part of regular wages. “Signing” bonuses are not subject to state apportionment if they meet all of the following conditions:

the bonus is not conditional on playing any games for the team;

is payable separately from any other compensation;

and is not refundable.

A true signing bonus is not apportioned as part of wages and is generally taxed to the athlete’s state of residence, which in many cases results in a more favorable outcome."

• Like (+1) 1