Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

This has to be to sign a newly cut player (or a trade for Ertz) and not for a Josh Extension.

Starting to think its a combination of these.

Ertz agent knows that nobody is trading for that contract.   He has a wink deal with a couple teams for after Ertz gets cut.

If we are one of those teams, then this is a "Show Me The Money" move.   Otherwise it didnt have to happen today.  But McBeane cant just say 'trust me, I'll have the money when the time comes.'

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Nope - I get a bonus, AKA Lump Sum payout, each year - sometimes 2x a year if lucky.....each time Unkle Same "helps" himself to 48% of that bonus, AKA Lump Sum payout.  My standard rate of pay each month - yeah I get paid monthly is taxed apropos of my tax bracket (forget the % right now).  This is why I say bonus, AKA Lump Sum is most likely taxed at the higher rate of 48%.  Now I do not make millions and millions a year so I am guessing you have/had knowledge of that bracket I am not privy too.  Based on your latest reply that doesn't seem to be the case however.

And this year 3 games in FL.  BUT - the Fed tax rate is what the Fed Tax rate is.  A different state doesn't change that.  State taxes will be ZERO here in FL whilst they will be what is it up too in NYS now 8%?

I think this is the point some others have been missing. I imagine the bonus is ALL NYS taxable.  Since he'll make a lower salary, the non state taxable amount he would have made in three games in Florida is now reduced.  If that's all true, how does it Not impact total taxes (state and federal)?

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I feel like this moreso confirms that Diggs is going to get a restructured deal next season more than it does anything else.  

This money could be just for Greg and the just-in-case fund.  

I’m personally fine with our DB’s as they held up well last season.  Plus, our pass rush is supposed to be better, which makes them better.  

I’d also be more than fine with them getting Ertz

This isn’t true.  Bonuses are considered supplemental income and are taxed at a higher rate.  Some companies may not code it the right way, which is why you haven’t seen it.  

If you go to the IRS site, they break it down more.  

I used to get bonuses all the time and the tax rate was closer to 40-42%

They didn’t hold up well vs KC.  They got obliterated 

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

But his entire 2021 salary is guaranteed and Bills are already up against cap in 2021.  It’s actually better for Bills to pay him to stay home than to cut him.  

They don't care about the $$$. The cap can be manipulated, as we just saw again today. If's he's dead weight they will cut him loose. 

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

to be fair the Chiefs DBs in that game got to play with a different set of rules than the rest of the NFL.

Also the Bills WRs resembled the cast of the Walking Dead after a battle 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Honestly, I think Ertz can impact this offense currently as much as Julio. Ertz being that safety valve for Josh will help keep the chains moving and eventually give Diggs/Sanders/Beasley more room to operate. Ertz will help the run game too. Although, I wouldn’t cry if they did acquire Julio

Why is everyone so infatuated with an aging TE who’s coming off the worst season of his career combined with injury issues and a hefty contract?? 

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Nope - I get a bonus, AKA Lump Sum payout, each year - sometimes 2x a year if lucky.....each time Unkle Same "helps" himself to 48% of that bonus, AKA Lump Sum payout.  My standard rate of pay each month - yeah I get paid monthly is taxed apropos of my tax bracket (forget the % right now).  This is why I say bonus, AKA Lump Sum is most likely taxed at the higher rate of 48%.  Now I do not make millions and millions a year so I am guessing you have/had knowledge of that bracket I am not privy too.  Based on your latest reply that doesn't seem to be the case however.

And this year 3 games in FL.  BUT - the Fed tax rate is what the Fed Tax rate is.  A different state doesn't change that.  State taxes will be ZERO here in FL whilst they will be what is it up too in NYS now 8%?

That is your payroll system withholding that money because they use an aggregate method. You get it back when you file your taxes. Even if the bonus is considered supplemental income, the tax rate there is only 22% (or 25%?) in the end.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If you give Pat Mahomes all day to stand there, he will pick any DBs in the league apart.  I guarantee it.

Seriously - who would hold up in coverage against Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill for the kind of time Mahomes got from us?

I'm not trying to say we don't need an upgrade at DB or at the very least, quality depth because I'm on record as saying we do.

But  IMO the big Achilles heel for our D vs KC was DL.

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

to be fair the Chiefs DBs in that game got to play with a different set of rules than the rest of the NFL.

Also the Bills WRs resembled the cast of the Walking Dead after a battle 

That's the playoffs, been that way forever and across most sports. McDermott's team of Gentlemen need to figure that out. I bet they have.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Julio is not happening. They don't have the cap space and they are not giving up a first round pick for a 32 year old WR. 

To me, the Julio talk is frustrating, it's too pie-in-the-sky for my taste.  It doesn't fit with any kind of team planning dynamic.

I'm mostly worried that when some posters have their irrational Julio fantasy crushed they will be angry and unleash a buzzkill to my pure euphoria of an Ertz signing.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, appoo said:

There’s just no value in cutting Star. See what kind of shape he’s in when he gets here, and leave him on the bench until he gets in better shape. You don’t really lose anything with that, the way his contract is. 

Agree don't cut him yet.  I do want competition there.  Then maybe they can convince Star that he should return some of the money and just retire. 

Also all the Lolz for the poster saying that Diggs (who lead the league in targets) was just a complimentary piece in this offense.  He got thrown to more than Devin or Moss got touches.  

Edited by YattaOkasan

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They wouldnt need to override the 5th year. Just tack the new contract onto the end. Much like the Eagles did with Wentz, and the Texans did with Watson. And like we did with Tre White.

Since they executed the 5th year option, he is technically on year 4 of a 5 year deal. Any extension would be added on after, unless they chose to override it. That 5th year is worth $23M, I dont think the average of his new contract will be any less, so might as well keep the 5th year in place and get an extra year out of it.

Really, my only question is if teams can spread bonuses from extensions into the existing contracts. Which I think they can do, but can't find any good evidence either way.

I think they would prefer to override the 5th year because otherwise they take that entire 5th yr option cap hit in 2022 and the extension picks up in the 6th yr. If they extend him beforehand they can spread it out (similar to Mahomes)

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Why is everyone so infatuated with an aging TE who’s coming off the worst season of his career combined with injury issues and a hefty contract?? 

Because "aging" doesn't matter if you only have him for one year, and obviously people are banking on the production drop being from offensive dysfunction in Philly.

Whether or not you agree is a different matter.