Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

Just now, ganesh said:

Is Nelson that good a player.  I mean he got creamed by Josh.

Yeah, he is. That's hardly a reflective sample size. Josh has and will continue to make many DBs look foolish going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

They just gave him his entire salary in one go. He didn't sacrifice anything.

Not to say Diggs is selfish or anything like that, but in this instance it is actually beneficial to the player.

I'm not sure this is 100% true. Players get taxed based off where the game is, so taking the whole salary in NY might cost quite a bit. Especially since they are guaranteed a game in Florida ever year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

My argument on Green Bay was Rogers constant bitching about the WR position and that if they got Julio then that would shut Aaron up and he would most likely want to stay. Also who besides AJ brown do the Titans have on their WR corps?? Also it would give them good insight if Tannehill can get you to the next level. They overran Henry and it showed in the playoffs that he was worn out. 

I agree that they don't have much outside of Brown. I forgot they lost Corey Davis to free agency. They would definitely benefit from Julio Jones as most teams would, but he's still a luxury for them and not an absolute necessity. Who knows who will step up? Kind of like Gabriel Davis w/ the Bills coming out of nowhere. Regardless, you can make the case that Jones could put them over the edge as a true Super Bowl threat too. This is my opinion of course and yours is just as good as mine.

I've never really been a fan of Aaron Rodgers' personality. If anything he should be complaining about defense, not offense. I can see exactly why they drafted Jordan Love as insurance. Tom Brady never complained about his receivers, he just made it happen w/ what he had. It's actually kind of a slap in the face to his teammates. 90% of the NFL would kill to have a #1 like Adams. But just like the Titans, the Pack would also dominate w/ Julio Jones and Adams as a 1A & 1B. It's a not an absolute need for them no matter how much Rodgers complains. It's going to cost them a lot. We'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, Process said:

You are probably thinking of withholding

Nope - I get a bonus, AKA Lump Sum payout, each year - sometimes 2x a year if lucky.....each time Unkle Same "helps" himself to 48% of that bonus, AKA Lump Sum payout.  My standard rate of pay each month - yeah I get paid monthly is taxed apropos of my tax bracket (forget the % right now).  This is why I say bonus, AKA Lump Sum is most likely taxed at the higher rate of 48%.  Now I do not make millions and millions a year so I am guessing you have/had knowledge of that bracket I am not privy too.  Based on your latest reply that doesn't seem to be the case however.

13 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm not sure this is 100% true. Players get taxed based off where the game is, so taking the whole salary in NY might cost quite a bit. Especially since they are guaranteed a game in Florida ever year. 

And this year 3 games in FL.  BUT - the Fed tax rate is what the Fed Tax rate is.  A different state doesn't change that.  State taxes will be ZERO here in FL whilst they will be what is it up too in NYS now 8%?

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

They just gave him his entire salary in one go. He didn't sacrifice anything.

Not to say Diggs is selfish or anything like that, but in this instance it is actually beneficial to the player.

Technically this could backfire with a lesser, selfish player too. It won't happen with Diggs, he's too hungry, but someone else now could miss games and lose next to no money each week. 

Why worry about $58k game checks ($990k over 17 games) when you already got the other millions up front? Again, I have no belief Diggs would feign injury or something. 

14 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Nope - I get a bonus, AKA Lump Sum payout, each year - sometimes 2x a year if lucky.....each time Unkle Same "helps" himself to 48% of that bonus, AKA Lump Sum payout.  My standard rate of pay each month - yeah I get paid monthly is taxed apropos of my tax bracket (forget the % right now).  This is why I say bonus, AKA Lump Sum is most likely taxed at the higher rate of 48%.  Now I do not make millions and millions a year so I am guessing you have/had knowledge of that bracket I am not privy too.  Based on your latest reply that doesn't seem to be the case however.

And this year 3 games in FL.  BUT - the Fed tax rate is what the Fed Tax rate is.  A different state doesn't change that.  State taxes will be ZERO here in FL whilst they will be what is it up too in NYS now 8%?

Lmao. This is not how taxes work. 

Salary and bonuses are not taxed differently, they are both wages, there is no difference. There is a difference in how much is withheld, or how much uncle Sam helps himself too from the payment that it made to you, as you would say.

If you have a salary of 20K and receive an 80K bonus, you will pay the same amount of tax as if you had a 80K salary and 20k bonus. 

Same goes for Stefon Diggs. 

Withholding is not tax.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If Diggs has a good financial advisor he can take that lump sum and beat the state income tax on the returns from the investment. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Salary and bonuses are not taxed differently, they are both wages, there is no difference. There is a difference in how much is withheld, or how much uncle Sam helps himself too from the payment that it made to you, as you would say.

If you have a salary of 20K and receive an 80K bonus, you will pay the same amount of tax as if you had a 80K salary and 20k bonus. 

Withholding is not tax.

I do stand corrected.....that does make sense.  All I do is hand a pile of papers to my tax guy and he does it....I just see the withholding each and every bonus check and freak......thanks for clearing that up for me.....I feel MUCH better.

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 1

I feel like this moreso confirms that Diggs is going to get a restructured deal next season more than it does anything else.  

This money could be just for Greg and the just-in-case fund.  

I’m personally fine with our DB’s as they held up well last season.  Plus, our pass rush is supposed to be better, which makes them better.  

I’d also be more than fine with them getting Ertz

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Withholding is not tax.

This isn’t true.  Bonuses are considered supplemental income and are taxed at a higher rate.  Some companies may not code it the right way, which is why you haven’t seen it.  

If you go to the IRS site, they break it down more.  

I used to get bonuses all the time and the tax rate was closer to 40-42%

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Diggs and Beasley are fantastic complementary pieces

Do you mean that Diggs and Beasley compliment each other well or that they’re good complimentary pieces to another WR in an offense? 

Because if you’re telling me the WR who lead the NFL in catches and yards in the #2 ranked offense in the game is just a “complimentary piece” I’m going to have some questions…. 

Edited by JGMcD2

4 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I do stand corrected.....that does make sense.  All I do is hand a pile of papers to my tax guy and he does it....I just see the withholding each and every bonus check and freak......thanks for clearing that up for me.....I feel MUCH better.

Google “why do bonuses get taxed more”.  It’ll take you to the irs site that breaks it down 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Right, it all gets worked out when you file your return. That's when tax is calculated on your income and if too much was withheld you get a refund, too little and you owe.

The withholding on bonuses is wonky. 

• Thank you (+1) 1