Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Are there any examples of that type of contract structuring happening.

My understanding is it would really be like the diggs restructure, where the bills would convert a portion to a signing bonus and be able to spread it out over the remaining years he would be under contract 

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I’m not disagreeing, but is there any downside for him in doing this?

This benefits him too because he’s get his whole salary right now, minus the min.  

Unless I’m missing something?

It’s possible it has some negative tax consequences, but it could be positive too.  Salary is divided into weekly checks taxed at the rate of the state the game is played in.  

I’m not sure how signing bonus is taxed.  Diggs may claim permanent residence in FL, no state income tax.  OTOH if it is taxed all at NYS rates because employer is in NYS, that would be higher than spreading it out over games in different states.

Overall it’s probably a good financial move for Diggs but just mildly.  The money is in his pocket now, so no chance of the NFI clause.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I could be wrong but I think some of you guys that want either Ertz or Julio are going to be disappointed. This restructure is most likely to make room for Allen and Edmunds extensions. Don’t be surprised or disappointed if Beane doesn’t go for either Ertz or Julio in a trade.

He lost a lot of steps last year in San Fran. I don’t know how much of an improvement he would be Vs who we already have on our roster. 

Julios best destination is either Green Bay or Tennessee. Both those teams are starving for a number 1 WR. 

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I could be wrong but I think some of you guys that want either Ertz or Julio are going to be disappointed. This restructure is most likely to make room for Allen and Edmunds extensions. Don’t be surprised or disappointed if Beane doesn’t go for either Ertz or Julio in a trade.

He lost a lot of steps last year in San Fran. I don’t know how much of an improvement he would be Vs who we already have on our roster. 

Julios best destination is either Green Bay or Tennessee. Both those teams are starving for a number 1 WR. 

I agree that Sherman lost maybe half a step, but he's still a formidable corner. Down the road as he ages, I wonder if he'll convert to safety. I think he'd make a good one as he's a great ZONE player, ball-hawk, and physical.

What I don't agree w/ is your last paragraph. The Packers are pretty set at #1 receiver w/ Devante Adams who some would argue is the best in the league. Diggs had slightly more yards/receptions, but Adams had double the TD's.

Titans are more than set at #1 WR w/ AJ Brown. The only reason he doesn't put up even bigger #'s is due to the offense going through Derrick Henry. Put him on the emerging Chargers or Bengals and I see him putting up massive #'s.

Sure, Julio Jones would improve these teams because he's freaking Julio Jones, but the teams you listed aren't "starving" for a #1 guy. They're actually pretty set. 

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I agree that Sherman lost maybe half a step, but he's still a formidable corner. Down the road as he ages, I wonder if he'll convert to safety. I think he'd make a good one as he's a great ZONE player, ball-hawk, and physical.

What I don't agree w/ is your last paragraph. The Packers are pretty set at #1 receiver w/ Devante Adams who some would argue is the best in the league. Diggs had slightly more yards/receptions, but Adams had double the TD's.

Titans are more than set at #1 WR w/ AJ Brown. The only reason he doesn't put up even bigger #'s is due to the offense going through Derrick Henry. Put him on the emerging Chargers or Bengals and I see him putting up massive #'s.

Sure, Julio Jones would improve these teams because he's freaking Julio Jones, but the teams you listed aren't "starving" for a #1 guy. They're actually pretty set. 

My argument on Green Bay was Rogers constant bitching about the WR position and that if they got Julio then that would shut Aaron up and he would most likely want to stay. Also who besides AJ brown do the Titans have on their WR corps?? Also it would give them good insight if Tannehill can get you to the next level. They overran Henry and it showed in the playoffs that he was worn out. 

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He gave up 4 more TDs in 5 games in 2020 than he did in 15 games in 2019.

I don't know. He still looks sharp to me. I know Allen and Davis got him. I just love the fit. We play so much cover 3, that's what he lives on. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

19 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I agree that this is likely an acquisition move but a move like this could be an Allen extension. This would allow the team to spread the QB cap hit out over an additional year which could end up being a slight net positive

I see. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Process said:

There is no difference in tax rate for a salary vs a bonus

If you say so - I know at my peon rate there is a HUGE difference between a lump sum bonus and a spread out salary.  But hey you know better than I.....

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Yeah but that’s all they have. If Julio went to Green Bay, that would be a dangerous offense. Also Rodgers is still bitching about wanting  another WR. I’m sure if they trade for him and get him, then Rodgers will go from wanting out to wanting to stay put and being happy

I agree that they need other weapons but you said they were starving for a no 1 wr. Adams and Brown are both 1s 

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

14 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

If you say so - I know at my peon rate there is a HUGE difference between a lump sum bonus and a spread out salary.  But hey you know better than I.....

You are probably thinking of withholding

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I mean he didn't HAVE to agree to restructure his deal. How is that not good for the team?

It wasn't FOR the good of the team, necessarily. Diggs benefits from this. Of course this helps the team.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You asked if it had anything to do with Allen extension. And I answered. Allen’s new contract when it is done is an extension. It will have no impact on his salary in 2021. It’s how the CBA works for second contracts of draft picks. So the answer to your question, freeing up salary cap space in 2021 has nothing to do with Allen’s extension.

Although I agree - I don’t think it has anything to do with an Allen extension - freeing up Cap space in 2021 can roll into 2022 - giving additional space next year as part of the extension.

It also frees up space that can roll into next year and then additional restructuring can get even more next year and this might just be part 1.

This isn’t for Allen and Edmunds - those 22 hits and this actually makes it slightly harder.

my guess? Flexibility for the trade deadline. Bills don’t necessarily NEED to add a player but we know Bean is an active in season shopper, and 8M in cap space empowers him quite a bit 

8 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

It wasn't FOR the good of the team, necessarily. Diggs benefits from this. Of course this helps the team.

hes a bit underpaid but he probably did this knowing we’ll extend him after this season. Those 18M hits the next 2 years aren’t great. 

it’s always better to have money up front, I guess. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

To be clear, adding Julio would be a massive upgrade to this team. Diggs might be our #1, but the X WR - a traditional #1 is some combo of 33 year old Emmanuel Sanders and Gabe Davis. 

Diggs and Beasley are fantastic complementary pieces, but you add a legit star X or legit star at TE, that takes this group to entirely new frontier - and quite possibly unstoppable given Allen’s arm talent.

Imagine his deep shots with someone with the arm radius of Julio or Ertz? 

But Julio still isn’t possible without cutting 1-2 players 

4 hours ago, H2o said:

?????

3Tbb.gif

If that were to somehow happen, barring injuries, get your Super Bowl plans together.

3 hours ago, Boxcar said:

I don't get why so many think this is for Julio. Ertz and Nelson are more important for the current team.

Depends on what you're going for.  The offense is near unstoppable with Julio Jones.

Neither Ertz or Nelson is going to have that kind of impact. 

Edited by Chicken Boo

3 hours ago, Boxcar said:

People are interpreting the restructuring as Diggs doing something for the good of the team, which isn't really true.

If Diggs had a say in the matter, then it is absolutely good for the team to clear some cap for this year. The bill still comes due, but this isn't the best time for the Bills to pay that bill. If the Bills can now sign a CB/TE or re-up Josh, how can that not be good for the team?

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, appoo said:

To be clear, adding Julio would be a massive upgrade to this team. Diggs might be our #1, but the X WR - a traditional #1 is some combo of 33 year old Emmanuel Sanders and Gabe Davis. 

Diggs and Beasley are fantastic complementary pieces, but you add a legit star X or legit star at TE, that takes this group to entirely new frontier - and quite possibly unstoppable given Allen’s arm talent.

Imagine his deep shots with someone with the arm radius of Julio or Ertz? 

But Julio still isn’t possible without cutting 1-2 players 

Julio is not happening. They don't have the cap space and they are not giving up a first round pick for a 32 year old WR. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This has to be to sign a newly cut player (or a trade for Ertz) and not for a Josh Extension. This move raises Diggs' cap hit for '22 which is the year that Allen's 5th year option and/or new contract money would take effect. I believe we get one starter out of the June cuts and extend Diggs next season to continuously keep his big cap hits on the horizon.

Edited by Allen2Diggs