Bills restructure Diggs contract; create 7.8. Mill in cap space

21 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Love that Diggs agreed to do this.

Way to put the team first

I’m not disagreeing, but is there any downside for him in doing this?

This benefits him too because he’s get his whole salary right now, minus the min.  

Unless I’m missing something?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

People are interpreting the restructuring as Diggs doing something for the good of the team, which isn't really true.

That is correct.  But it means that Diggs won’t be getting a more lucrative contract this offseason.  Some people thought he might be looking for a bump because of his production last season.  Unless it’s part of the restructure that hasn’t leaked out yet, then that just got kicked until after this season at the earliest.  Give the man credit for accepting his current pay - which is very good but not top WR money - and not demanding that he be paid commensurate with his production last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

That is correct.  But it means that Diggs won’t be getting a more lucrative contract this offseason.  Some people thought he might be looking for a bump because of his production last season.  Unless it’s part of the restructure that hasn’t leaked out yet, then that just got kicked until after this season at the earliest.  Give the man credit for accepting his current pay - which is very good but not top WR money - and not demanding that he be paid commensurate with his production last season. 

I've been saying the whole time, just give him some guaranteed money and he'll be happy for a little longer. Easy peasy. Glad they got it done. Cant wait to see what comes of this.

15 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

I may be wrong, but I believe signing bonuses would be taxed at a higher rate rather than salary? Either way - restructuring is always a player doing the team a favor in my eyes. This is huge!

Either way it’s still all income that falls within the same calendar year - except the last couple games and that’s still in a year where he’d be in the same tax bracket.  

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t believe any of his 2021 salary was guaranteed.  So this definitely is something Diggs wouldn’t have said no to.  

I take this back.  His 2021 salary was fully guaranteed on March 21.  This restructure is almost all Diggs helping the team out.  Only benefit to Diggs is he gets is his 2021 salary right now instead of weekly checks during the season. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

It wouldn’t make any sense to trade for him. We’re literally stacked at WR and he has a bloated contract too boot also he hasn’t been able to stay healthy.

This needs to stop.

Prior to last season he missed 4 games in the last 6 years. 

People get hurt sometimes it happens.

He is one of the top 10 WRs in the NFL.

Acquire him if you can.

Edited by CountDorkula
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I take this back.  His 2021 salary was fully guaranteed on March 21.  This restructure is almost all Diggs helping the team out.  Only benefit to Diggs is he gets is his 2021 salary right now instead of weekly checks during the season. 

Considering you can invest a lot of that money, it's definitely a big benefit.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That's a pretty big benefit, lol...

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I know but I think of Tyreek Hill who said "once Im signed, Im signed" and that he wouldnt restructure 

Nice to not have that problem 

FWIW I suspect it's an automatic restructure.  That is, I believe the Bills have the right to convert the money from roster bonus money to signing bonus without the consent of the player.  I don't have the contract, but that's my understanding. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

They just gave him his entire salary in one go. He didn't sacrifice anything.

Not to say Diggs is selfish or anything like that, but in this instance it is actually beneficial to the player.

23 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

People are interpreting the restructuring as Diggs doing something for the good of the team, which isn't really true.

Serious question...does accelerating his up front payment have tax implications for Diggs?  I mean, if there is literally nothing but a benefit to Diggs to do this it seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal.