PFF: Dak over Josh Allen, cites Allen’s “arm arrogance” as a point of regression

58 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

yeah I didn’t find what he said all that outrageous - I just found that term he used silly. It’s going to have a negative connotation to a lot of people, no matter his underlying points. And of course, anytime PFF pops up around here people see blood. (I know the guy was just a guest and actually works for Draft Network.)

He did an interview with Tim graham that I linked up thread. He regrets using that term (though it wasn’t ‘his’ term) as he didn’t realize it would cause such an issue 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

“Arm arrogance”

That throw to Beasley up top is one of the best throws I’ve ever seen.  I remember watching the play develop and thought Allen was just throwing it out of bounds.  I rewinded it just to see it again.

That throws sticks out to me along with the dart over the middle, splitting the safety’s against Denver to Kumerow.  

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

“Arm arrogance”

The second play still bugs me.  There was no one behind Gabe.  Why would he not just break straight down field for an ease lob and walk in touchdown?

I think I will take the guy winning every year and going to the playoffs. If Dallas wasn’t the hype team they are every year the media would be killing them for there Record the last few years. 

On 5/31/2021 at 8:19 PM, Forward Progress said:

In PFF-Land, turnover worthy throws are more important than interceptions. 

Perhaps those turnover worthy throws aren't turnovers precisely because of arm arrogance...the ball gets there so fast they aren't ready for it.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

The second play still bugs me.  There was no one behind Gabe.  Why would he not just break straight down field for an ease lob and walk in touchdown?

I was thinking something along the same lines. It wasn't a perfect throw. Josh could have bent him a little to the right, and he would have been in for a TD.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He did an interview with Tim graham that I linked up thread. He regrets using that term (though it wasn’t ‘his’ term) as he didn’t realize it would cause such an issue 

yeah i saw that on Graham’s twitter as well; I listened. i think Graham stated in his intro basically the same thing i said - it’s a dumb characterization and poorly worded and was destined to be misinterpreted. To me, Solak knows his stuff and knows better and put it that way, in those terms, to get clicks. Which is fine, but it doesn’t boost this guy’s profile for me. 

I like Dak more than most. I think he is a bona fide top 10 Quarterback and if Dallas can't win with Dak (and actually they have already won a couple of divisions and a playoff game in Dak's 4 non-injury seasons) then the problem is with Dallas. 

However, Josh Allen is just in a totally different tier to him talent wise. Dak is a Quarterback with whom you are a perennial division contender and playoff contender. Josh is a guy who makes you a perennial Superbowl contender.

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, I thought he had some decent points though I don’t agree with the result. Didnt think it was that outrageous. 

He’s an eagles fan or covers the eagles or both. Joe Marino had him on a few months ago to break down what happened with wentz. Solak actually really likes josh Allen. I don’t think his points were crazy. I don’t predict regression but we will see 

He's definitely an Eagles fan. He's a fan of all the Philly teams (and also a big fan of college softball lol). His main gig at this point is with The Draft Network and doing a lot of film breakdowns/particularly focusing on QBs. He doesn't even work for PFF which makes the title of this thread kinda funny.

But yeah, not surprising at all that the clip of him is being torn apart by Bills fans. I would take Allen over Dak at this point but I think for Solak it mostly boils down to just wanting to see Allen replicate the success again this year which is fair IMO.

As someone else mentioned, the "arm arrogance" phrase ruffles people's feathers, but I think he's basically just saying Allen is too aggressive sometimes, which is true. I think we pretty much all agree that the upside to that aggression is worth the downside either way, but there are other QBs out there that can produce roughly the same high-end results that Allen does while limiting the negative plays more than he does.

Edited by DCOrange

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

Probably because that's not the route. If he modifies it and Gabe doesn't adjust the jackals are all laughing at him missing a wide open receiver. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I like Dak more than most. I think he is a bona fide top 10 Quarterback and if Dallas can't win with Dak (and actually they have already won a couple of divisions and a playoff game in Dak's 4 non-injury seasons) then the problem is with Dallas. 

However, Josh Allen is just in a totally different tier to him talent wise. Dak is a Quarterback with whom you are a perennial division contender and playoff contender. Josh is a guy who makes you a perennial Superbowl contender.

This. Dak is a solid, upper half of the league QB and you can surely win with him. He'll put up some gaudy numbers at times. The three things I always hear from Cowboys fans about Dak though are his deep ball inconsistencies, missing wide open receivers with off target passes too often, and the fact that he really doesn't come up big in clutch moments. If they have that ground game going to compliment his solid play otherwise then they are a top tier offense. Josh though? Josh is on a whole other level than Dak. We just started to truly see that in 2020 and the arrow is trending upward. 

13 minutes ago, H2o said:

This. Dak is a solid, upper half of the league QB and you can surely win with him. He'll put up some gaudy numbers at times. The three things I always hear from Cowboys fans about Dak though are his deep ball inconsistencies, missing wide open receivers with off target passes too often, and the fact that he really doesn't come up big in clutch moments. If they have that ground game going to compliment his solid play otherwise then they are a top tier offense. Josh though? Josh is on a whole other level than Dak. We just started to truly see that in 2020 and the arrow is trending upward. 

I agree on the deep ball inaccuracy and the occasional inexplicable misses. I disagree he doesn't come up clutch. In 2019 the two players who consistently failed to come up clutch for Dallas were Zeke and Cooper. I think there were three games where Dak made throws for touchdowns first downs in game winning field goal range and one of those two dropped them. The Rams game still stand out as it is imprinted on my mind. Dak always comes out and takes the blame and says he could have thrown a better ball etc but what I saw those clutch failures were mainly on others.