Bills could clear a lot more salary cap space beginning Tuesday

15 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

CB, it does because they structured this 10 year deal with this in mind, and my suspicion is Mahomes was fine with it.  He’ll barring a catastrophic injury see all $450 mil., and help his team keep tons of talent to be in the hunt every year for the SB for awhile.  These guys were also smart enough to know there would be a new group of tv deals so the chiefs can absorb these restructures.  It was a little evil genius.

This is a little off topic, but I read a friend on this board suggest this morning the hometown discount thing for Allen.  I don’t ever see that happening in anyway.  Why?  He’d help the team a lot more to do a similar 8-10 year deal where Josh gets $43-44 mil./yr., but because so long they can go back to the well of Allen for years and when his cap hit balloons who cares because the cap will go up eventually from $250-350 mil. by the end of this CBA.

That would truly be the most unselfish thing Allen could do is make that $40+ contract, but that long that they can play with the deal for years.  If he is pushing strong 8 years from no, they can extend and do it again.  Brady had various versions of this where he still did well, but he kept helping the team get talent.  When they stopped helping that problem he quietly had a two year plan to get out, and didn’t whine like Rodgers.

Brady was able to afford such team friendly deals because he was making tens of millions of dollars in publicity deals as the league's golden boy, having a rich supermodel wife, and probably getting money under the table from Kraft.  Not to mention league leading merch sales and other revenue streams.

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

CB, it does because they structured this 10 year deal with this in mind, and my suspicion is Mahomes was fine with it.  He’ll barring a catastrophic injury see all $450 mil., and help his team keep tons of talent to be in the hunt every year for the SB for awhile.  These guys were also smart enough to know there would be a new group of tv deals so the chiefs can absorb these restructures.  It was a little evil genius.

This is a little off topic, but I read a friend on this board suggest this morning the hometown discount thing for Allen.  I don’t ever see that happening in anyway.  Why?  He’d help the team a lot more to do a similar 8-10 year deal where Josh gets $43-44 mil./yr., but because so long they can go back to the well of Allen for years and when his cap hit balloons who cares because the cap will go up eventually from $250-350 mil. by the end of this CBA.

That would truly be the most unselfish thing Allen could do is make that $40+ contract, but that long that they can play with the deal for years.  If he is pushing strong 8 years from no, they can extend and do it again.  Brady had various versions of this where he still did well, but he kept helping the team get talent.  When they stopped helping that problem he quietly had a two year plan to get out, and didn’t whine like Rodgers.

We can all see that Allen wants to win  , he wants that SB ring and prove all his doubters wrong  ,  it wouldn’t surprise me that Allen would be willing to structure his contract in a way that would help the team being able to keep more talent , 

i could be wrong of course, 

as far as Rogers goes f@&$ him 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is not the prime reason for their cap space.  Mahomes has a $7.4M cap hit this year.  That was due to him restructuring his contract

already in March of this year to clear $17.3M in cap in 2021.  He has a $35.8M cap hit next year followed by $40M+ for years after that.

The KC Chiefs have not had a true hit to his contract yet!  So any talk about them doing what they have done has nothing to do with

"Franchise Deal".

Ganesh’s point stands though.  The way to remain competitive with a franchise QB on a fair market contract is to:

- draft effectively

- be fiscally responsible with veterans

- find value with free agents

Beane appears to be starting the cap responsibility process with the DE position.  That makes sense because recently it has had the highest priced FAs (franchise QBs which rarely hit FA excepted).  I’ll leave the debate on the prospects chosen for other times.

There are certainly some bad contracts on the books, but realistically it’ll take until next offseason (at least) to clear them.  Drafting well and finding some deals in the FA market would certainly go a long way toward keeping the Bills window open. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Putin said:

We can all see that Allen wants to win  , he wants that SB ring and prove all his doubters wrong  ,  it wouldn’t surprise me that Allen would be willing to structure his contract in a way that would help the team being able to keep more talent , 

i could be wrong of course, 

as far as Rogers goes f@&$ him 

Exactly.  KC is all in this year for a repeat SB win.  I think that it's the wrong time for the Beane and the Bills to get into an "arms race" with

them this year.  However next year seems to me the proper time to add a few pieces to make the push.

IMO (and I hope Beane's too). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Brady was able to afford such team friendly deals because he was making tens of millions of dollars in publicity deals as the league's golden boy, having a rich supermodel wife, and probably getting money under the table from Kraft.  Not to mention league leading merch sales and other revenue streams.

All true Raid which kind cements why when Allen hasn’t hit all of those other hurdles of large endorsements although he will, and so on helps, his wife shouldn’t matter as we all choose our partners, and everything you just said, infers why would Allen ever give a break on a contract.  The benefit is the willingness to do a long term contract.  That is the nicest, most reasonable thing Allen could do to help the team and preserve his multi-generational wealth.

CB, you’re points on Mahomes even further cements his long term help to his team as you referenced around $30 mil., but his 10 year avg. is $45 ml., so again back ended as the cap balloons.  Allen can do the same.  Why not?  His agent would tell him if you do a four year deal, the cap goes up and we can do another, and maybe another.  Doing a long high deal gives him success for a very long time and we have flexibility in the cap to keep a really good team together.

That’s my point.  The longer Allen helps us out with a longer contract, he still gets his $, and the team has flexibility.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Ganesh’s point stands though.  The way to remain competitive with a franchise QB on a fair market contract is to:

- draft effectively

- be fiscally responsible with veterans

- find value with free agents

Beane appears to be starting the cap responsibility process with the DE position.  That makes sense because recently it has had the highest priced FAs (franchise QBs which rarely hit FA excepted).  I’ll leave the debate on the prospects chosen for other times.

There are certainly some bad contracts on the books, but realistically it’ll take until next offseason (at least) to clear them.  Drafting well and finding some deals in the FA market would certainly go a long way toward keeping the Bills window open. 

For sure and Brandon has said those exact words.  Once again, let's see how KC handles all of this AFTER they start paying for their

Franchise QB.

KC has had a huge advantage over the league paying (in cap hits) $24M for 5 full years of QB play for Mahomes.

Bills on the other hand have had $21.3M in cap hit with only 4 years of Allen.

I say all of this only to explain to myself ( and other if they want to see it this way ) that the Chiefs are ahead of the game currently.

They had a Division winning team when Mahomes got drafted (the Bills didn't).

Next year the Bills can really close the gap or hopefully jump over them.

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

That’s my point.  The longer Allen helps us out with a longer contract, he still gets his $, and the team has flexibility.

Totally agree with the caveat that I think a 10 year contract is way too long and carries too much risk.

I'm hoping for a 6 year contract with Allen.  Nothing more than 7.

A 4 year contract takes away what we are talking about and 5 is just "meh" with me.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't pay a lot of attention to capology and all of these opportunities.  It makes my head hurt.   But I have a few comments. 

First, I didn't realize the Bills had so many opportunities to generate cap space.  Dawkins, Poyer, Hughes are significant names.

Second, in terms of acquisitions, I continue to trust Beane when he says free agency is to fill holes, not to acquire talent.  Very hard to imagine he'd spend major cap space to sign a Bosa when Beane's just spent two picks on the edge.  Beane has made his bet on talent on the edge.   By the way, I find I keep wondering what's going to happen with Hughes.  It's a crowded room, and the Bills have Epenesa and the two rookies, Hughes is nearing the end and he offers an opportunity to create cap room.  The Patriots' way was to let talent go too early rather than keep it too long, and I'm guessing that's how McBeane think, too.  As much as I think McDermott likes Jerry, he may be at risk. 

Finally, I know it's been discussed, but I think the biggest contract issue (including the biggest contract) is whether Allen will decide to take a leadership role and give the Bills a discount.  If Allen takes less than the last dollar, and takes it in a way that is clear and understandable to the other players, it gives Beane an opportunity to work on Edmunds in the same way, and on others, too.  So, in my mind, the best cap news of the summer could be Allen inking a team-friendly deal.  

I love the last paragraph. Brady always took a discount because it was important to him that he could win. Of course it doesn't hurt having a famous model as his wife. Also all the advertising deals. But if Allen had that same mentality, it would be of great benefit to the team.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Exactly.  KC is all in this year for a repeat SB win.  I think that it's the wrong time for the Beane and the Bills to get into an "arms race" with

them this year.  However next year seems to me the proper time to add a few pieces to make the push.

IMO (and I hope Beane's too). 

I was going to respond by saying as long as Allen keeps playing like did and even improving a little bit on his decision making , there’s no reason we can’t go and win the SB this year . But I think our coaching/game plan needs to get better on both sides of the ball , I hope and prey that when we face KC in week 5 we go after them swinging no more playing scared and being pushed around and literally being slapped in the face , and if we lose in a fight so be it at least will keep our chins up 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

I was going to respond by saying as long as Allen keeps playing like did and even improving a little bit on his decision making , there’s no reason we can’t go and win the SB this year . But I think our coaching/game plan needs to get better on both sides of the ball , I hope and prey that when we face KC in week 5 we go after them swinging no more playing scared and being pushed around and literally being slapped in the face , and if we lose in a fight so be it at least will keep our chins up 

The whole NFL will be watching that game to see what happens.

I also think the majority of the NFL fans will be wanting a Bills win.

This board will be crazy that week.  I can't wait!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

And as I keep saying, "windows" are for teams without the foundation for continued success.  We can afford to invest for the future, rather than having to gamble and go "all in" spending our life savings on a stack of lottery tickets in one shot.

Give me a decade of solid success over a year or two of "dream team" any day of the week.  This mindset of having to desperately grasp at temporary success will apparently take some time to wean off of after decades of mediocrity. 

Name a modern era football team with a decade of success minus the Pats who had the best QB in the history of the NFL continually on a discount salary....I’ll wait.  The Chiefs, Saints, and Bucs have been all in the last 2-4 years and are still not in bad shape moving forward.  Kicking the can down the road when there is a projected massive increase to the cap is not a bad idea when you have your franchise QB on a rookie deal and heading into his prime years soon.  

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Of the subject, but - I agree about the whole league watching, at least assuming neither team has had a meltdown.  

And it goes back to that thread about would you trade Allen for Mahomes.  Some of us, including me, said that until someone else emerges to compete with them, Mahomes and Allen look like the premier QBs of the coming era.   Everyone will be interested in that game because of the team matchup AND the QB matchup.  It will be like the Pats vs. Colts matchups back in the middle of the drought.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Of the subject, but - I agree about the whole league watching, at least assuming neither team has had a meltdown.  

And it goes back to that thread about would you trade Allen for Mahomes.  Some of us, including me, said that until someone else emerges to compete with them, Mahomes and Allen look like the premier QBs of the coming era.   Everyone will be interested in that game because of the team matchup AND the QB matchup.  It will be like the Pats vs. Colts matchups back in the middle of the drought.  

We can only hope!!!

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

My blood pressure is sky high just thinking about that game I can’t even imagine what it will be like at the kickoff , I will be dipping Xanax into blue cheese during the game 🤣

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

My blood pressure is sky high just thinking about that game I can’t even imagine what it will be like at the kickoff , I will be dipping Xanax into blue cheese during the game 🤣

My only decision that day will be to either watch the game at home alone or go to the local "mom and pop" owned sports bar I frequent.

That place will easily be 75%+ patrons wanting the Bills to win.

I am in Colorado!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

And as I keep saying, "windows" are for teams without the foundation for continued success.  We can afford to invest for the future, rather than having to gamble and go "all in" spending our life savings on a stack of lottery tickets in one shot.

Give me a decade of solid success over a year or two of "dream team" any day of the week.  This mindset of having to desperately grasp at temporary success will apparently take some time to wean off of after decades of mediocrity. 

Give me and the fine city of Buffalo a Super Bowl trophy, let's get the Lombardi and then go from there.

Sure, you have to think about the future but you have a team to win a Super Bowl. You don't think how can our team stay competitive. If that's the plan, the odds of winning a Super Bowl are slim.

If Ertz can still play you sign him. He is another primo weapon for Allen and we need them to win a Super Zbowl.

And BTW, the more dangerous weapons you have, the more you can spread the wear and tear over an arduous ~ 20 game season. And BTW, I expect more touches for our running backs to remove some wear & tear from our WRs. I say this because it is very important we hit the second season with our weapons healthy (not like last year.)

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

My only decision that day will be to either watch the game at home alone or go to the local "mom and pop" owned sports bar I frequent.

I am in Colorado!

I will definitely be watching that game alone  will have to send my wife and kids somewhere for at least 6-7 hours  , 3 hours of game time and 3-4 hours of clean up and furniture repairs !!! 
Go Bills baby !!!

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I am in Colorado!

I’m in Texas ( working the oilfields ) you can only imagine how many stars/stickers  everyone has on their hard hats,  after we smacked the cowgirls on thanksgiving the next day I was walking around with my chest up going HOW BOUT THEM BILLS BABY!!! 
That was a GREAT day !!! 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I am in Colorado!

I'm in Connecticut.   I really haven't focused on the schedule much.   

I have a friend who is not a Bills fan but who goes to one Bills road game with me every year.   It's been great.  Pre-pandemic, we had gone to games for 10 straight years.   Some big losses - absolutely crushed in Green Bay, Fitz throws a couple of big INTs against the Giants, and some big wins - overtime against the Bears, Tyrod beats the Titans, Bills take over the stadium in Atlanta.  

So the other day I bought two tickets to the Chiefs game on StubHub.  I hadn't really thought about it until then.   We're going to be sitting in the stadium while the whole country is watching.   It will be nuts.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

But the team is still taking a big hit next year.  Makes no sense to release Star this year.  After this year, doubt he is on the team without a massive pay cut.

I agree it makes no financial sense, but they have shown they will part ways with anyone who is not buying into the process.  That's the point I was trying to make--if he is in the doghouse with McBeane, then I think they'd certainly part ways, and now it's no longer a negative cap hit.