Bills could clear a lot more salary cap space beginning Tuesday

15 minutes ago, TPS said:

I guess we'll find out how they feel about Star too?  While releasing him doesn't save much money ($500K), it's no longer a negative value. 

We’ll see.  No ones even seen him so I have no idea what he looks like in practice.  We’ll find out, but because there is no financial benefit for cutting, he can compete with the other guys and I do trust McD would cut him if there were a better option on the field.

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’ll see.  No ones even seen him so I have no idea what he looks like in practice.  We’ll find out, but because there is no financial benefit for cutting, he can compete with the other guys and I do trust McD would cut him if there were a better option on the field.

If he is cut then it is not a savings for someone will need to take his place unless it is one of the many DEs signed.

IMO the talk about cutting is from people who never liked the signing in first place and has no substance.

I still think a 5-2-4 alignment would be best for a lot of downs.  An offense lineman would have to handle Star one-on-one and this would give opportunities for other linemen to beat their opposition causing pressure.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, TPS said:

I guess we'll find out how they feel about Star too?  While releasing him doesn't save much money ($500K), it's no longer a negative value. 

Cutting him makes no sense right now, especially for the money we’d save

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hide the floor mats.

Slipping on floor mats is one of my favorite inside jokes from the dark years. Just so ridiculously Billsy. Poor Kolb. I’ve read he’s got it bad. Wish him the best even though the mats thing is funny.

The Buffalo Bills, eternally in a search for a franchise QB, signs a shiny new free agent QB and as he’s running out to greet the fans and media he raised his arm to wave only to slip on some slippery rubber mat left out in the middle of the field. Leg broken career over game over bills.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I still think a 5-2-4 alignment would be best for a lot of downs.  An offense lineman would have to handle Star one-on-one and this would give opportunities for other linemen to beat their opposition causing pressure.

I'm not a great Xs and Os guy, but I can't imagine going 5-2-4 in the modern game.   That's effectively committing five identified players to the pass rush (yes, you can drop a DE in coverage, but that isn't very effective).   Much better to go 4-2-5, which gives you quality pass protectors in the back seven and you can blitz a linebacker, corner or safety if you want to rush five. 

McDermott always has said that he wants to generate pressure with his front four.   I don't see him compromising by going to a front five.  He wants push in the middle from a one-tech guy, and he wants this three-tech and his edge guys to win their one-on-one battles.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It will be interesting to see what happens come June 1st. I guess we'll have to wait and see this week about all the speculation up to this point, but it would be nice to upgrade some roster spots, or at the very least....add some more depth. That's the thing about the NFL....It keeps you on your toes, even in the off season! 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Is this another Ertz thread?

Why yes I am glad you brought this up. BIG TRADE Zack needs to get the shot then fly to Buffalo. With this new shot McD will smile and be happy. Thanks for asking

:thumbsup:

Edited by HOUSE

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

And as I keep saying, "windows" are for teams without the foundation for continued success.  We can afford to invest for the future, rather than having to gamble and go "all in" spending our life savings on a stack of lottery tickets in one shot.

Give me a decade of solid success over a year or two of "dream team" any day of the week.  This mindset of having to desperately grasp at temporary success will apparently take some time to wean off of after decades of mediocrity. 

The super bowl window with your franchise QB on his rookie deal is a UNIQUE window of opportunity.  This is a place where you can gamble and get the difference maker if he is out there and it will still not hurt the team long term.  Winning championships becomes harder when you pay for your franchise QB and your draft picks are not hitting it. 

In a recent Locked ON Bills show,  one of the points raised eyebrows is that the chiefs with a franchise QB deal are still about 10M lower in net salary cap space than the buffalo bills; this is for both 2021 and 2022 season...   Peeling the envelope, he provided the primary reason for the chiefs being in this comfortable situtaion is their draft picks  from Rd 2 through 4 being very successful in the past few years. 

We are still waiting for Ford, Singletary and Knox to come through; we have hope for Epenesa and  Moss...But that is a key difference....These players not developing fast enough means we are covering them with veterans such as Addision,  paying for Feliciano etc while waiting for home grown talent to grow.   We need our 2nd and 3rd rounders to come through this yeara.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If he is cut then it is not a savings for someone will need to take his place unless it is one of the many DEs signed.

IMO the talk about cutting is from people who never liked the signing in first place and has no substance.

I don’t see it either as there has to be someone better than him, as there is no other motivation.  He’d have to be consistently outplayed in camp.

4 minutes ago, ganesh said:

In a recent Locked ON Bills show,  one of the points raised eyebrows is that the chiefs with a franchise QB deal are still about 10M lower in net salary cap space than the buffalo bills; this is for both 2021 and 2022 season...   Peeling the envelope, he provided the primary reason for the chiefs being in this comfortable situtaion is their draft picks  from Rd 2 through 4 being very successful in the past few years. 

That is not the prime reason for their cap space.  Mahomes has a $7.4M cap hit this year.  That was due to him restructuring his contract

already in March of this year to clear $17.3M in cap in 2021.  He has a $35.8M cap hit next year followed by $40M+ for years after that.

The KC Chiefs have not had a true hit to his contract yet!  So any talk about them doing what they have done has nothing to do with

"Franchise Deal".

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Slipping on floor mats is one of my favorite inside jokes from the dark years. Just so ridiculously Billsy. Poor Kolb. I’ve read he’s got it bad. Wish him the best even though the mats thing is funny.

The Buffalo Bills, eternally in a search for a franchise QB, signs a shiny new free agent QB and as he’s running out to greet the fans and media he raised his arm to wave only to slip on some slippery rubber mat left out in the middle of the field. Leg broken career over game over bills.

Tom, doesn’t even this story seem like an SNL skit.  If he was more popular, it probably would’ve made it there.

Remember all the Gerry Ford slip and falls.  Before my time, but saw all the funny footage (no pun intended, well a little).

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Is this another Ertz thread?

No it’s about being stuck with a expensive below average fat asss who should be replaced but his contract has Bean by the 🏀 🏀 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is not the prime reason for their cap space.  Mahomes has a $7.4M cap hit this year.  That was due to him restructuring his contract

already in March of this year to clear $17.3M in cap in 2021.  He has a $35.8M cap hit next year followed by $40M+ for years after that.

The KC Chiefs have not had a true hit to his contract yet!  So any talk about them doing what they have done has nothing to do with

"Franchise Deal".

CB, it does because they structured this 10 year deal with this in mind, and my suspicion is Mahomes was fine with it.  He’ll barring a catastrophic injury see all $450 mil., and help his team keep tons of talent to be in the hunt every year for the SB for awhile.  These guys were also smart enough to know there would be a new group of tv deals so the chiefs can absorb these restructures.  It was a little evil genius.

This is a little off topic, but I read a friend on this board suggest this morning the hometown discount thing for Allen.  I don’t ever see that happening in anyway.  Why?  He’d help the team a lot more to do a similar 8-10 year deal where Josh gets $43-44 mil./yr., but because so long they can go back to the well of Allen for years and when his cap hit balloons who cares because the cap will go up eventually from $250-350 mil. by the end of this CBA.

That would truly be the most unselfish thing Allen could do is make that $40+ contract, but that long that they can play with the deal for years.  If he is pushing strong 8 years from no, they can extend and do it again.  Brady had various versions of this where he still did well, but he kept helping the team get talent.  When they stopped helping that problem he quietly had a two year plan to get out, and didn’t whine like Rodgers.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

CB, it does because they structured this 10 year deal with this in mind, and my suspicion is Mahomes was fine with it.  He’ll barring a catastrophic injury see all $450 mil., and help his team keep tons of talent to be in the hunt every year for the SB for awhile.  These guys were also smart enough to know there would be a new group of tv deals so the chiefs can absorb these restructures.  It was a little evil genius.

This is a little off topic, but I read a friend on this board suggest this morning the hometown discount thing for Allen.  I don’t ever see that happening in anyway.  Why?  He’d help the team a lot more to do a similar 8-10 year deal where Josh gets $43-44 mil./yr., but because so long they can go back to the well of Allen for years and when his cap hit balloons who cares because the cap will go up eventually from $250-350 mil. by the end of this CBA.

That would truly be the most unselfish thing Allen could do is make that $40+ contract, but that long that they can play with the deal for years.  If he is pushing strong 8 years from no, they can extend and do it again.  Brady had various versions of this where he still did well, but he kept helping the team get talent.  When they stopped helping that problem he quietly had a two year plan to get out, and didn’t whine like Rodgers.

His recent "restructure" only pushed money out 5 years (that's the max that is allowed).  The 10 year deal had nothing to do with it.

He is playing on his 5th year option this year.  Beane and the Bills could do the exact same thing next year IF they chose to do so with Allen.

My point was to explain that the writer who is saying they have this "extra cap" WHILE paying a "Franchise QB Deal" at the same time

is false.  That bill plus the restructure starts coming due next year.

• Like (+1) 2