Bills could clear a lot more salary cap space beginning Tuesday

image.png.eeedf3ce5210f6ee3515c8cf516025b9.png

When the post-June 1 designations kick in across the league, look for some noteworthy trades, releases and contract adjustments.

Wide receiver Julio Jones may not make sense for the Buffalo Bills this year. But cornerback Steven Nelson might.

Whatever happens with these players and a whole lot more probably won't go down until at least Tuesday, when the NFL allows teams to spread a certain amount of salary cap hits of released or traded players over two years instead of accelerating everything onto the current season.

The post-June 1 designation also applies to contract extensions and adjustments.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/bills-could-clear-a-lot-more-salary-cap-space-beginning-tuesday

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"Could" is one thing....but is it responsible, does it actually make sense is something else?  All that money they could free up can also be used next off season.  I would not be surprised if they free up some cash but with the roster where it is they dont need to go hog wild.  I mean if you could get someone of the quality of a Bosa sure but that wont be possible.  I definitively see them adding a corner, not sure about Ertz, I guess if the price is right.

Edited by mattynh
  • Agree 1

Matty, you had to bring up House’s favorite topic in Ertz.

I agree I wouldn’t try and overspend at this point.  I understand the argument we are close, so go for it, but the opposite is more important.  As you said Matt, we’re not going to get a Bosa, or even be able to afford him with all likelihood.

I don’t know what CB would be available and it’s important to get the most out of you’re cheap labor (rookie contracts, ie. Dane).

I can actually see us releasing some they don’t expect to help the team and will free up cap space for some expensive contracts coming in Allen and Edmunds.

Just now, HOUSE said:

LOL, EJ Gaines is still out there, unsigned :w00t:

It’s because he slipped on a banana peel.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

Matty, you had to bring up House’s favorite topic in Ertz.

I agree I wouldn’t try and overspend at this point.  I understand the argument we are close, so go for it, but the opposite is more important.  As you said Matt, we’re not going to get a Bosa, or even be able to afford him with all likelihood.

I don’t know what CB would be available and it’s important to get the most out of you’re cheap labor (rookie contracts, ie. Dane).

I can actually see us releasing some they don’t expect to help the team and will free up cap space for some expensive contracts coming in Allen and Edmunds.

It’s because he slipped on a banana peel.

Here We Go Eye Roll GIF

• Haha (+1) 10

34 minutes ago, mattynh said:

"Could" is one thing....but is it responsible, does it actually make sense is something else?  All that money they could free up can also be used next off season.  I would not be surprised if they free up some cash but with the roster where it is they dont need to go hog wild.  I mean if you could get someone of the quality of a Bosa sure but that wont be possible.  I definitively see them adding a corner, not sure about Ertz, I guess if the price is right.

IIt depends.  We are currently in the SB window with your franchise QB on a rookie contract.  You have to pull the trigger if it makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, ganesh said:

IIt depends.  We are currently in the SB window with your franchise QB on a rookie contract.  You have to pull the trigger if it makes sense. 

I don’t think anyone is expecting them to add several big names from here. Honestly it’s a 1 to maaaaaaybe 2 guys that could make a difference being added part of the offseason. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Well, he took the op out for 2020 so he should be well healed by now :rolleyes:

Do you think he can make it to Buffalo without injuring him self ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

And as I keep saying, "windows" are for teams without the foundation for continued success.  We can afford to invest for the future, rather than having to gamble and go "all in" spending our life savings on a stack of lottery tickets in one shot.

Give me a decade of solid success over a year or two of "dream team" any day of the week.  This mindset of having to desperately grasp at temporary success will apparently take some time to wean off of after decades of mediocrity. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I get the SB window thing but we are also in a 15 year window thing with a franchise QB, coach and GM.  They should try and get better, but at some point it gets irresponsibly IMO.    I think we have the roster, the team has to perform.  There are some areas that can be upgraded sure, what team is not in that position.   There are lots of examples of teams going all in and coming up empty.   TE and a difference making DL are the biggest needs in my opinion.  Ertz is a rental if that was to happen and there are no difference making DL's available.   It's time for Oliver to make a leap forward.....that is what this organization is about...player development. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, TPS said:

I guess we'll find out how they feel about Star too?  While releasing him doesn't save much money ($500K), it's no longer a negative value. 

But the team is still taking a big hit next year.  Makes no sense to release Star this year.  After this year, doubt he is on the team without a massive pay cut.

• Agree 2

I don't pay a lot of attention to capology and all of these opportunities.  It makes my head hurt.   But I have a few comments. 

First, I didn't realize the Bills had so many opportunities to generate cap space.  Dawkins, Poyer, Hughes are significant names.

Second, in terms of acquisitions, I continue to trust Beane when he says free agency is to fill holes, not to acquire talent.  Very hard to imagine he'd spend major cap space to sign a Bosa when Beane's just spent two picks on the edge.  Beane has made his bet on talent on the edge.   By the way, I find I keep wondering what's going to happen with Hughes.  It's a crowded room, and the Bills have Epenesa and the two rookies, Hughes is nearing the end and he offers an opportunity to create cap room.  The Patriots' way was to let talent go too early rather than keep it too long, and I'm guessing that's how McBeane think, too.  As much as I think McDermott likes Jerry, he may be at risk. 

Finally, I know it's been discussed, but I think the biggest contract issue (including the biggest contract) is whether Allen will decide to take a leadership role and give the Bills a discount.  If Allen takes less than the last dollar, and takes it in a way that is clear and understandable to the other players, it gives Beane an opportunity to work on Edmunds in the same way, and on others, too.  So, in my mind, the best cap news of the summer could be Allen inking a team-friendly deal.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1