Ryan Mallett still playing football (The Spring League)

13 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

how old is this league?   It lists Fred Jackson as a marquee player.  

Also, os it on tv?  

It’s website is awful. 

They play Thursday night, Friday night and 2 on Saturdays. All the games are on FS1 except one Saturday afternoon game on Fox. All the games are played at Rice University stadium in Houston.

I think players actually have to pay a fee to join. It's meant to be a league of last resort for players who think they can still catch on in the NFL or CFL. A few players do get the call.

That's why it was funny to hear Ryan Mallett"s name. Most players give it a year before joining the real world. But players also get hurt badly as one did Saturday. Joined the team that day and tore his knee up.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

15 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I was a fan of this guy until I heard him talk 

Same here. Mallett had one of the best arms I have ever seen. When he played at Arkansas, I saw him throw a 50 yard post pattern on a straight line with almost no air under it. He did it flat footed, standing still. 

Mallett was said to have many issues, to include behavioral problems and drug use. His failure as a player was not due to a lack of talent.

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They play Thursday night, Friday night and 2 on Saturdays. All the games are on FS1 except one Saturday afternoon game on Fox. All the games are played at Rice University stadium in Houston.

I think players actually have to pay a fee to join. It's meant to be a league of last resort for players who think they can still catch on in the NFL or CFL. A few players do get the call.

That's why it was funny to hear Ryan Mallett"s name. Most players give it a year before joining the real world. But players also get hurt badly as one did Saturday. Joined the team that day and tore his knee up.

Players without NFL need to pay.  It is basically the same as players who pay special coaches or camps.

They play games in two locations currently - Houston and Indianapolis. 

Houston is known for it is where there championship game is and only one open to public. 

The reason is to cut down on expenses - transportation, lodging, equipment setup, etc.

Some players believe the reason why they do not make it in league is due to poor coaching/scheme (justifiable) and being used as camp bodies with little chance to demonstrate skills.

• PromoTheRobot changed the title to Ryan Mallett still playing football (The Spring League)
On 5/30/2021 at 12:05 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

Forget Mallett, where's JP Losman?  

Being a successful coach, thank you very much.

21 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

A guy from my HS played at Arkansas the same time as Mallett.  Told me he was a major coke head.

Well, as long as it’s fourth hand information, you may as well toss it out there.

• Haha (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow, I can remember the angst and anguish when the Bills failed to draft him

Meh.

I've always been a "take the next best QB in round 1" every year and you will ultimately come out ahead proponent.......but I was quite down on Mallet by that point.

When you don't have a franchise QB.........you miss every shot you don't take though.

Had the Bills taken an outrageous reach and selected Mallet rather than Dareus or Aaron Williams etc...would they have been much worse off?    

Nope.

Even all of the future HOF'ers taken early in that draft likely wouldn't have moved the needle much without a franchise QB.    I think we'd come to accept that as truth after watching Buddy Nix put the cart before the horse on draft day but maybe now that we have a franchise QB we may lose sight of that.

Had someone here on TSW the other day point out that Paxton Lynch was the next QB taken after the Bills pick in 2016.........questioning my theory........without noting the fact that that by 2018 the only player left from the Bills entire 2016 draft class was Shaq........and he-gone after 2019.   Both teams had bad first round picks.....the Broncos drafted later in each round and came out of that draft with All Pro safety Justin Simmons........the Bills got nothing to show for their draft.

Point being.........the tendency is to look back and be like "wow, I can't believe somebody wanted to draft that QB.....WHAT a waste of a pick" and then totally ignore the fact that the actual choice made didn't have much impact on the fortunes of the franchise either.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

I liked the way Mallett only looked 20 plus yards downfield and completely ignored the short passing game. He was kind of a poor man’s Josh Allen (Allen as a rookie). 

Allenesque in arm strength and locking on to the long ball, perhaps.  But other than that, I saw no Josh Allen in him. Mallet had a million dollar arm and a ten cent head. I couldn't believe all the Bills fans that wanted to get him AFTER he had already displayed that he was unable to play the position (at any reasonable level) in the NFL.  And unlike some of the failed Bills QBs, Mallett started with the Pats*, so it's hard to say coaching ruined him.

• Agree 1

On 5/30/2021 at 9:27 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Same here. Mallett had one of the best arms I have ever seen. When he played at Arkansas, I saw him throw a 50 yard post pattern on a straight line with almost no air under it. He did it flat footed, standing still. 

Mallett was said to have many issues, to include behavioral problems and drug use. His failure as a player was not due to a lack of talent.

He did have rare arm strength.

Also important to note that there weren't "as many" players with high end arm talent entering the league then as we see now.

You can see a marked improvement in the talent entering the league at QB in the 6-8 years after the 2010 rules changes.......and subsequent growth in QB contracts.

It's become physically and mentally easier to play the position.......the TD/int ratio's are absurd nowadays....... and I think more players and their families are deciding to keep top young athletes at QB when in the past they might have played a less dangerous sport to get their scholarship and/or potential pro career.     If a guy like Josh Allen chooses baseball instead of chasing that franchise QB dream he may have never made it past the college or low minors level as a pro. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Allenesque in arm strength and locking on to the long ball, perhaps.  But other than that, I saw no Josh Allen in him. Mallet had a million dollar arm and a ten cent head. I couldn't believe all the Bills fans that wanted to get him AFTER he had already displayed that he was unable to play the position (at any reasonable level) in the NFL.  And unlike some of the failed Bills QBs, Mallett started with the Pats*, so it's hard to say coaching ruined him.

A weak Jeff George without the personality.

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Also important to note that there weren't "as many" players with high end arm talent entering the league then as we see now.

You can see a marked improvement in the talent entering the league at QB in the 6-8 years after the 2010 rules changes.......and subsequent growth in QB contracts.

It's become physically and mentally easier to play the position.......the TD/int ratio's are absurd nowadays....... and I think more players and their families are deciding to keep top young athletes at QB when in the past they might have played a less dangerous sport to get their scholarship and/or potential pro career. 

One of my favorite discussions to have about football is the evolution of the game at the NFL level over the last 2 decades.  There are enough variables in play that it's difficult to narrow it down to one reason above all others.  

• Like (+1) 2