Ranking NFL 2021 'Triplets'

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-nfl-2021-triplets-part-ii-from-the-middle-raiders-to-the-top-packers/

7. Buffalo Bills (7.0)

QB: Josh Allen RB: Zack Moss WR: Stefon Diggs

This is quite a jump for the Bills, who ranked 23rd heading into last season. That'll happen when you have maybe the most improved player in the NFL, and that player is your quarterback. Allen was a considerably below-average player during his first two NFL seasons. Last year, he was a legitimate MVP candidate. With the whole offensive line coming back, offensive coordinator Brian Daboll somehow not getting a head coaching job anywhere, and the receiving corps still intact (with Emmanuel Sanders replacing John Brown), he should remain productive this year. Diggs is absurdly good, and damn near impossible to cover. The Bills don't utilize their backs all that often, but it's not difficult to see them being ranked higher if people had more confidence in Moss or Devin Singletary.

I would not have considered Allen "below average" 2nd year.  He had highs and he had lows which is why we made playoffs against Texans.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

In this case it is ESPN (Exclusive Suck P😡s Nuts) who is firing the "talent" to try to save money so I assume writer is some intern.

No this is cbs sports from your link. Espn is associated with ABC and Disney. Agreed ESPN sucks though too!

1 minute ago, Bferra13 said:

No this is cbs sports from your link. Espn is associated with ABC and Disney. Agreed ESPN sucks though too!

You are right. I was looking at multiple articles at a time.  I think all of the sports networks are resorting to lower paid staff these days and what makes it worse is many of the editors are gone.

Just going off the raw numbers for the season Allen was definitely below average. Both for passer rating and QBR. And that is about all we have to go off of. Of course Allen like usual, improved greatly from the first half of the season to the second half. I would venture a guess that just taking his second half splits he was essentially around league average for the second half. 

But 2019, the big picture was that Allen was greatly improved over his rookie year which is what you are looking for in your young QB. Allen could have taken a similar sized jump from 2019 to 2020 and we would have been pleased with the progress and his trajectory. But of course Allen took a jump so massive the league had never really seen it before.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

How do these guys get a paycheck writing this junk? This guy is referring to Josh like he was Bortles his first two seasons. 

They get one by having people like the OP link articles for everyone to click on.

This article is stupid since the Bills Triplets is actually a QB and 2 WR.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

How do these guys get a paycheck writing this junk? This guy is referring to Josh like he was Bortles his first two seasons. 

The best way is to write out a fraudulent company check to yourself then forge the signature.

You need to cash the check fast though

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-nfl-2021-triplets-part-ii-from-the-middle-raiders-to-the-top-packers/

7. Buffalo Bills (7.0)

I would not have considered Allen "below average" 2nd year.  He had highs and he had lows which is why we made playoffs against Texans.

Dude...much as most of us love Josh, his stats  were awful his 2nd year. Improved his comp% to 58.8 and was still absolutely last among starting  QBs. Check his QB ratings and other stats,and yes,he was below average. His running ability was a dangerous weapon but as a passer,  he was bad.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Singletary is still above Moss on the depth chart, I'd wager. But it's more like 1A and 1B.

The last 3 games they were both healthy for Moss got more carries. I think by the end of last season he was the #1. Obviously the injury factors in and their run block issues might have made them think Moss's style was a better fit.

• Agree 3

I thought it was fair given the mediocre running back game play juxtaposed with the #3 QB (Mahomes and Rodgers ranked higher) and #1 WR.

Besides it’s just one of these silly ranking lists like power rankings, etc.  it’s just fluff stuff while we are waiting for real football.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

7. Buffalo Bills (7.0)

10 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

This has baffled me for a while now. Allen had 3500 total yds and 29 total td to just 13 to’s in 2019 while going 10-5, yet the narrative is he was junk in year 2 and nobody saw the leap coming in 20. It’s literally as though people saw a comp % of 58 and they totally short circuited. Couldn’t think straight… I’ve never seen one certain number make people keep saying such stupid things about a player and totally disregard everything else they do well. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

They get one by having people like the OP link articles for everyone to click on.

This article is stupid since the Bills Triplets is actually a QB and 2 WR.

"we're once again counting down the NFL's best QB-RB-WR/TE trios

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Just going off the raw numbers for the season Allen was definitely below average. Both for passer rating and QBR. And that is about all we have to go off of. Of course Allen like usual, improved greatly from the first half of the season to the second half. I would venture a guess that just taking his second half splits he was essentially around league average for the second half. 

But 2019, the big picture was that Allen was greatly improved over his rookie year which is what you are looking for in your young QB. Allen could have taken a similar sized jump from 2019 to 2020 and we would have been pleased with the progress and his trajectory. But of course Allen took a jump so massive the league had never really seen it before.  

This is true, and people are balking at Bortles, but while we mostly knew we had a better QB than Bortles at the end of two seasons, the numbers are comparable. Bortles had a solid Season 2, at least statswise.

However, as you suggest, if you look at Allen's season as other than overall stats, you see a QB who improved over the course of the season. From Game 5 on and through the playoff game, he had 17 TDs to 3 iNTs (plus 6 rushing TDs and a receiving TD). I'd contend that's at least a bit above avg. If you were a fan and/or you watched him every game, you'd realize he was essentially working on his short game in year 2--an aspect where he improved by an almost unfathomable amount. 

After 2019, I felt fairly confident that we had something special at QB and that while there was still a slight chance he could go the Bortles/Mariota route and teams could figure out how to defend, that felt more like tamping down expectations. It was his capacity for learning that won me over quickly after we drafted him and that sets him apart from those pretenders.