Vikings writer won't let go of the Diggs bone

Diggs will be the #1 WR in Buffalo, something he wasn't in Minny.  That right there is a huge difference between the 2 situations.  As for the money, he'll get paid eventually.  Poof, there goes the article.

3 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

Read the comments section about this article. Viking fans don't agree with it either. Very objective about it. A few saying this writer should move on, get over it and be happy with the draft pick they made. Agreeing with TBD this is a click bait piece. Liking Viking fans a bit more today.

And they really should.  The Vikings were able to get one of the most promising WR in the class in the bottom-third of the 1st round, to pair with a mature veteran QB in Cousins and a run-heavy offense.  Jefferson was the most productive of the 1st round WR last year and should be high quality cheap labor for them for the next 3 years.

The Bills needed something different with Diggs and they also got it - a wily veteran route runner who could be the go-to guy for a young QB to take that next step, who could also inspire the room and make the other WR better.  It comes at the cost of higher salary, but that's a cost worth paying for what he contributed.

It really should go down as a trade that worked well for each side, and be tucked in and put to bed as such.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Vikings fans won’t let it go either. Every Diggs article has the comment section full of sour grapes Vikings fans. 

I don’t get why they’re so upset, they got Jefferson out of the deal. Seems to me we both won in the deal, not sure why they won’t let this go. 

They are pissed that their FO traded away a guy who now leads the league in receptions and yards, helped win his new team their division, and ended the season one game from the Super bowl, then they look at their own teams rankings..., the reality is that their FO and HC did not use their talent correctly, that and signed Cousins to a expensive long contract, and he is in actuality not in the top QB discussion. Their fans watched what could have been crumble away, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Vikings fans who can't let it go are just pissed that Diggs was right to have wanted to be made the #1 WR, because this is what he was capable of doing.  They no doubt wanted him to do poorly in Buffalo.  Because they should be happy with Justin Jefferson, who is good and will be cheap for the next 2 years.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Diggs will be the #1 WR in Buffalo, something he wasn't in Minny.  That right there is a huge difference between the 2 situations.  As for the money, he'll get paid eventually.  Poof, there goes the article.

Diggs was actually the #1 target for the Vikings in 2019 (in part because Thielen missed games); Jefferson was the #1 target last season.  So Diggs could have been the #1 WR for the Vikes except that he and Cousins reportedly just weren't "in sync".  

The main thing is that the Vikings offense is very close to 50/50 pass run (49% pass in 2019 under Stefanski; 52% pass in 2020).  I didn't watch many Vikes games, but judging by his Y/R of 15.9, Jefferson was used primarily as a deep-ball guy (as Diggs was in 2019, 17.9 Y/R).

I thought part of Diggs beef was that he wanted to be involved in a more complete passing game and not just become "pigeonholed" as a deep ball guy.

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I loved the comment from some tool saying "diva Diggs, will do anything for attention".

Like, um, dude, he literally didn't do anything.  The #1 WR in the league and Allen's most trusted target doesn't need to attend a voluntary session.

I think Diggs may feel the training he goes through in FL (House of Athlete and Receiver Factory) may be better for him at this time than OTAs.  There's also a benefit for the team in that this way the young guys get more reps and the coaches get more chance to work with them.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Diggs was actually the #1 target for the Vikings in 2019 (in part because Thielen missed games); Jefferson was the #1 target last season.  So Diggs could have been the #1 WR for the Vikes except that he and Cousins reportedly just weren't "in sync".  

The main thing is that the Vikings offense is very close to 50/50 pass run (49% pass in 2019 under Stefanski; 52% pass in 2020).  I didn't watch many Vikes games, but judging by his Y/R of 15.9, Jefferson was used primarily as a deep-ball guy (as Diggs was in 2019, 17.9 Y/R).

I thought part of Diggs beef was that he wanted to be involved in a more complete passing game and not just become "pigeonholed" as a deep ball guy.

I’m just going by the premise put forth by the author.

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I loved the comment from some tool saying "diva Diggs, will do anything for attention".

Like, um, dude, he literally didn't do anything.  The #1 WR in the league and Allen's most trusted target doesn't need to attend a voluntary session.

And he is coming off an injury…

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Vikings fans who can't let it go are just pissed that Diggs was right to have wanted to be made the #1 WR, because this is what he was capable of doing.  They no doubt wanted him to do poorly in Buffalo.  Because they should be happy with Justin Jefferson, who is good and will be cheap for the next 2 years.

The OP is correct in his headline that one specific Vikings writer won’t let the Diggs thing go, but if you go to popular Vikings boards like this one you’ll see no one talking about him.  So it’s not the fans, it’s that one dude.  Also regarding Cousins, most know what they have in him though he has his fanbois that will defend him to the end.  I think we’ve all seen that movie here so no surprise. 

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The OP is correct in his headline that one specific Vikings writer won’t let the Diggs thing go, but if you go to popular Vikings boards like this one you’ll see no one talking about him.  So it’s not the fans, it’s that one dude.  Also regarding Cousins, most know what they have in him though he has his fanbois that will defend him to the end.  I think we’ve all seen that movie here so no surprise. 

Yup. That’s why I qualified it with “who can’t let it go.”  I’m sure the majority have let it go.

Edited by Doc

18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because things went sour in Minneapolis this writer is convinced it's inevitable in Buffalo.

The Viking Age: Should the Buffalo Bills be concerned about Stefon Diggs?.
https://thevikingage.com/2021/05/28/buffalo-bills-concerned-stefon-diggs-minnesota-vikings/

is his name Sour Grapes? 🍇 

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because things went sour in Minneapolis this writer is convinced it's inevitable in Buffalo.

https://thevikingage.com/2021/05/28/buffalo-bills-concerned-stefon-diggs-minnesota-vikings/

Some valid points including wanting way more money

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As if we haven’t don’t the same (both fans and media) for every talented player out the door?

frankly, there’s a good chance diggs will act up at some point. Won’t be the end of the world.