What is the worst play in Bills history?

4 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Haven't read through the entire thread, but these would be at the top of my list:

- Inability to tackle Stephen Baker (or was it Ingram?) on third down in Super Bowl XXV.

- Music City Miracle

- Ronnie Harmon's drop

- Thurman's fumble to start second half of the SB against the Cowboys

- Dawson Knox whiffed block that cost us the Texans playoff game

These are good.

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

To me, that is just a miss.  

The Losman fumble and McKelvin fumble were just pure stupidity....it shouldn't have happened.

So if you guys were listening to Dibiasi today on OBL, it’s not the worst play like Wide Right, or Music City debacle.  He stopped that talk fast.  He was asking what was the most BONEHEADED move one of our players or players of other teams did to screw up a game.

My first thought was the moronic Leodis move when finally beats the Cheats to run it out vs., just sitting on the dang ball and we win.  The second someone just brought up I forgot was Tuel time with that horrible interception against the Chiefs when we had the game done and throw it away or to Stevie.

Those were horrific boneheaded moves.  Just to help for conversation for those not listening for parts today.  Bad outcomes are obvious stated in the beginning, or poor Everett almost dieting on our field and thank god for our medical professionals with the ice cooling techniques to the spine that literally saved his life.  That wasn’t these guys topic.  It was absolutely horrific decisions that cost us or another team a game.  You can’t really say Norwood’s kick was a horrific decision.  He wasn’t good at 47 or farther and did his best.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

A couple of years ago, someone let a kickoff roll into the endzone and didn't bother to pick it up and take a knee. Instead, the opposing team (Jets, I think?) fell on it for a TD.

The officials really botched that call.

They misinterpreted the rule.

If a players MEANS to down the ball, he doesnt have to actually down it.  Thats the correct interpretation.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was a good discussion on WGR and boy, we've had a lot.

To me, it's the JP Losman fumble against the Jets.  

BTW...preseason counts too.  I forgot who the back up QB was but who got sacked and threw the ball backwards.

The Stevie Johnson drop against the Steelers where Fitz threw the most perfect pass I've ever seen. Then he went on Twitter and blamed God. The game wasn't really that important standings wise, they were already out of the playoffs, but Kyle Williams had one of his best games as a Bill all for nothing.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Greg S said:

The Bills missed a FG late in the 4th quarter against Miami in the 1979 opener. They lost the game 9-7. That kick would have ended the streak.

Tom Dempsey, missed it by half a foot.

• Haha (+1) 2

Threads like this make me cringe thinking about all those lost opportunities, now I need a drink 🥃 

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

A much overlooked play: a wide open Andre Reed dropping a pass on 3rd down a little past midfield late in the first half against the Giants in the Super Bowl

At the time we were up, 12 to 3. If he holds on, we, minimally run out the clock or maximally score more points

instead the Giants, get the ball and score late in the first half

If he makes the catch, no one on TBDwould know what "wide right" means

That was a gut wrencher. Went tailgating with a group of around 8 HS buddies right before school started,. Ruben Gant catches a pass late in the game to set up Tom Dempsey for the winning chip shot FG in the rain. Fans ready to go crazy and he missed it.

Pretty sure he takes it in for a score if he catches that. Nobody behind him.

Lots of funny (and sad) memories in this thread.

Can’t remember who it was against but Robert Royal not getting two feet in bounds on a TD in the back of the end zone was a brutal play. Would have won the game. It was like he tried to only get one foot in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

So if you guys were listening to Dibiasi today on OBL, it’s not the worst play like Wide Right, or Music City debacle.  He stopped that talk fast.  He was asking what was the most BONEHEADED move one of our players or players of other teams did to screw up a game.

My first thought was the moronic Leodis move when finally beats the Cheats to run it out vs., just sitting on the dang ball and we win.  The second someone just brought up I forgot was Tuel time with that horrible interception against the Chiefs when we had the game done and throw it away or to Stevie.

Those were horrific boneheaded moves.  Just to help for conversation for those not listening for parts today.  Bad outcomes are obvious stated in the beginning, or poor Everett almost dieting on our field and thank god for our medical professionals with the ice cooling techniques to the spine that literally saved his life.  That wasn’t these guys topic.  It was absolutely horrific decisions that cost us or another team a game.  You can’t really say Norwood’s kick was a horrific decision.  He wasn’t good at 47 or farther and did his best.

I didn’t listen to OBL, I listened to Howard and Jeremy.  So I guess this was a discussion the whole day lol.  We’ve had so many that that it takes a whole day.

• Haha (+1) 1

Most won’t remember this one, but it was back in the 70’s during our losing streak to the Fish.  We finally had them, we were leading near the end of the game, we’re psyched that the string would be cut.  And Don Nottingham runs right up the gut to score, with not one Bill coming close to touching him.  Never forgot that.

28 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Most won’t remember this one, but it was back in the 70’s during our losing streak to the Fish.  We finally had them, we were leading near the end of the game, we’re psyched that the string would be cut.  And Don Nottingham runs right up the gut to score, with not one Bill coming close to touching him.  Never forgot that.

I believe the play right before that was a mercury morris 'fumble' that was ruled down by contact, Pat Toomay took a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Then Nottingham ran it in.  Does that sound right to you?

19 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I believe the play right before that was a mercury morris 'fumble' that was ruled down by contact, Pat Toomay took a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Then Nottingham ran it in.  Does that sound right to you?

Sounds about right.

Wide Right 

Illegal Forward Pass

Give It to Them

Leodis  fumble on KR - gave the game away to NE 

Stevie's miserable drop against Steelers

Losman fumble against the Favre Jets 

4th and 3  1st down by the Steelers backup QB

Not defending the 3rd and 19 against Houston in the playoffs

Most miserable -  Seeing Kelly being carted off the field after the concussion on his final play in the NFL

7 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Haven't read through the entire thread, but these would be at the top of my list:

- Inability to tackle Stephen Baker (or was it Ingram?) on third down in Super Bowl XXV.

- Music City Miracle

- Ronnie Harmon's drop

- Thurman's fumble to start second half of the SB against the Cowboys

- Dawson Knox whiffed block that cost us the Texans playoff game

Bingo.

So many plays in that Super Bowl...Lofton not scoring a TD on the long pass from Kelly early in the game (Bills settled for a FG), Reed dropping a critical 3rd down pass over the middle with the Bills ahead and driving after the safety, Thurman getting barely tripped up from behind on the final drive when he could have gone for big yards, etc.......

5 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

A much overlooked play: a wide open Andre Reed dropping a pass on 3rd down a little past midfield late in the first half against the Giants in the Super Bowl

At the time we were up, 12 to 3. If he holds on, we, minimally run out the clock or maximally score more points

instead the Giants, get the ball and score late in the first half

If he makes the catch, no one on TBDwould know what "wide right" means

That was a gut wrencher. Went tailgating with a group of around 8 HS buddies right before school started,. Ruben Gant catches a pass late in the game to set up Tom Dempsey for the winning chip shot FG in the rain. Fans ready to go crazy and he missed it.

Yep, I didn't see this posted and put it up there myself as well. Very underrated in the annals of bad Bills plays. A conversion there would probably have led to points and quite possibly a different outcome. Ugh.