What is the worst play in Bills history?

43 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

as for more modern era bad plays.

the bills have 3 mentions in this list.  Ranking the NFL's 10 Worst Plays in the Last Decade

Bills Decide to Not Touch Kickoff, Give Up Touchdown

Stevie Johnson drops potential game-winner, appears to blame God: Not only did the Buffalo Bills wide receiver commit one of the most egregious drops in NFL history when he was wide open and couldn't haul in what would have been a game-winner in overtime against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2010, but he doubled down by taking to Twitter and seemingly pinning it on God. (He did follow up with somewhat of an explanation.)

Josh Allen's dangerous lateral in the 2019 playoffs: After picking up a first down on a scramble late in a recent postseason tilt with the Houston Texans, the Bills quarterback made a baffling decision on the fly by inexplicably trying to lateral as he was being tackled. He was saved by tight end Dawson Knox, who batted the ball out of bounds, and Buffalo still drove for a game-tying field goal. Still, it was one of those moments that caused the nation to jump and scream collectively.

texans game was tough but knowing now how JA and the team bounced back, it was a good lesson to learn going forward.

The Johnson play happened to a winless team. It doesn't qualify.

There are a lot to choose from, but I have to go with the second Thurman Thomas fumble in the final Bills-Cowboys Super Bowl. The Bills are up 13-6 at half time, and get the ball to start the second half. They have two straight running plays for 13 yards and the Bills' line is MOVING the Cowboys' d-line off of the ball. I'm starting to feel like it might actually happen. And then: handoff to Thurman, Kent Hull gets beaten TERRIBLY by Leon Lett, and then Lett forces a fumble that rolls into the middle of the scrimmage line pile. OK, not the end of the world -- fumbles that land in the middle of the rushing-game dogpile get jumped on by one team or the other and the play ends. Not this time. Safety James Washington somehow picks it up in the midst of a sea of giant bodies and ACTUALLY RUNS FOR A TD FROM THE 46 YARD-LINE. After that the Bills, who were tied 13-13 now, played like a team that was down 30-3. That was the most disheartening play in Bills history because they could have won that one with a better bounce.

(@Irv -- This one definitely deserves a spot on the podium.)

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

I know that this is a Bills bad play thread, but no play in Bills history is as comical as this Miami fiasco, IMO. I watch this play every once in a while for entertainment.

Edited by vincec
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I still think about Bryce Brown fumbling out of the endzone for some reason 

Yea against KC. That game was the difference between Marrone breaking the drought or not. That said maybe if he had he never quits (because the Pegulas give him his extension) and we don't have McDermott now. 

The Reggie Bush end around week 16 of 2016 as well for minus yardage comes to mind. 

The Stevie Johnson drop wide open in the EZ vs the Steelers.  McKelvins fumble return against the Pat's when he just needed to go down. And the MNF onside kick against Dallas. 

I don't consider wide right to be worst play, or Music City Miracle as one was a long kick for Norwood on grass, and the other we were robbed by a forward lateral. The other 3 just poor awareness and execution by our own players to blow the game.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea against KC. That game was the difference between Marrone breaking the drought or not. That said maybe if he had he never quits (because the Pegulas give him his extension) and we don't have McDermott now. 

The Reggie Bush end around week 16 of 2016 as well for minus yardage comes to mind. 

Unimportant plays by unimportant players on unimportant teams. Aim higher!

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Unimportant plays by unimportant players on unimportant teams. Aim higher!

To some extent........I agree.........but you gotta' remember @GunnerBill never actually experienced those Bills "winning" seasons.

The thing that gets me about that Bryce Brown play is that it was one of several pivotal games the Bills lost to Andy Reid and the Chiefs that may have been the difference between the Bills or Chiefs making the playoffs in both the Marrone and Rex regimes.

Even BEFORE the Bills idiotically/fatefully traded that 1st round pick to KC they had years earlier lost a bidding war with KC for Alex Smith........the Chiefs were the Bills second biggest opponent obstacle to success for many years before handing them Mahomes.

Those Marrone and Rex games had gravity that is still felt today...........if Andy Reid loses those games to Marrone and Rex he probably does not last long enough to get a chance to draft and develop Mahomes.    People forget that the KC fans and media were tiring of Reid's lack of playoff success..........imagine if he hadn't even been making the playoffs. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Haven't read through the entire thread, but these would be at the top of my list:

- Inability to tackle Stephen Baker (or was it Ingram?) on third down in Super Bowl XXV.

- Music City Miracle

- Ronnie Harmon's drop

- Thurman's fumble to start second half of the SB against the Cowboys

Though not a play, I'd add Thurman not being able to locate his helmet against the Redskins.

A much overlooked play: a wide open Andre Reed dropping a pass on 3rd down a little past midfield late in the first half against the Giants in the Super Bowl

At the time we were up, 12 to 3. If he holds on, we, minimally run out the clock or maximally score more points

instead the Giants, get the ball and score late in the first half

If he makes the catch, no one on TBDwould know what "wide right" means

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

The Bills missed a FG late in the 4th quarter against Miami in the 1979 opener. They lost the game 9-7. That kick would have ended the streak.

That was a gut wrencher. Went tailgating with a group of around 8 HS buddies right before school started,. Ruben Gant catches a pass late in the game to set up Tom Dempsey for the winning chip shot FG in the rain. Fans ready to go crazy and he missed it.

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, transient said:

Worst play in Bills history? C'mon, this is soooo "so bad that it's good" that it might be one of the best plays in Bills history ever! It's certainly entertaining. :lol:

that was who the OP was asking about, I don't think it should/would of been worst in history. it was entertaining for sure, I remember the play live on tv. hilarious, gifs everywhere. 'bout like the attention thigpen got bouncing the ball off his face. 🤣

most are claiming wide right and when you look back, it was heart wrenching but it was grass and scotty was not good on grass as far as distance so it was asking a lot with a lot on the line. it hurt.

my worst. miracle city debacle. still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Thurman Thomas fumble in Super Bowl 28 to start the 2nd half where the Cowboys recovered for the touchdown.  That whole game went to the crapper right after that where the Bills were reasonably in control before that.  All the demons of the past Super Bowls came right out and strangled the team that 2nd half.  

I mean 🤮🤮🤮

Besides wide right which never should've been a 47 yarder. If I recall correctly we had time for another play or two to get closer. Norwood was brutal that year on anything longer than 40 yards.

To throw another play in, from last year at that, the hail mary against the cards where we had both our starting safeties and all pro CB all surrounding Hopkins and not one of these guys attempts to knock the ball down.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Lonnie Johnson getting completely blown up on the fake punt has to get some kind of honorable mention.  Guess we need to define worst play, but this was up there with the dumbest.  

No, that is one of the greatest plays in Bills history!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3