What is the worst play in Bills history?

Just now, dneveu said:

The end result of the play is 100 yards the other way and 10-10. It means nothing either way, the team was bad that year.  Just a game i was at and a memorably bad play.  

Yeah, if you're talking about just worst, gut-wrenching play, without regard to whether anyone screwed up, you're right.  I was there, too.  Would have been 17-3 against whom - the Chiefs?  I think they were undefeated at the time.  

I was also in the stadium for the Ravens playoff game this year.  It's not exactly the same play - Lamar Jackson blew it - but Taron Johnson's pick six was the total opposite in terms of emotional impact.   It gave the Bills the lead that a Tuel touchdown pass would have given the Bills against the Chiefs.  I guess things even out. 

53 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was a good discussion on WGR and boy, we've had a lot.

To me, it's the JP Losman fumble against the Jets.  

BTW...preseason counts too.  I forgot who the back up QB was but who got sacked and threw the ball backwards.

Holy cow did Peters blow his block on the DE...

32 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

For whatever reason, I always think about Trent running out of bounds on 4th down, short of the 1st, against the Packers late in the game to turn it over and essentially end any chance of a comeback.

Thankfully enough, this led to the emergence of Fitzmagic.

I do remember that... Trentative would never, ever push the ball downfield. 4th and 15 with 10 ticks on the clock and he would dump it off 5 yards to get smothered - and you just knew he was going to do that. Game over.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was a good discussion on WGR and boy, we've had a lot.

BTW...preseason counts too.  I forgot who the back up QB was but who got sacked and threw the ball backwards.

Didn’t we try some wacky halfback pass from close to the opponent’s EZ? Probably the Gailey years.

Haven't read through the entire thread, but these would be at the top of my list:

- Inability to tackle Stephen Baker (or was it Ingram?) on third down in Super Bowl XXV.

- Music City Miracle

- Ronnie Harmon's drop

- Thurman's fumble to start second half of the SB against the Cowboys

- Dawson Knox whiffed block that cost us the Texans playoff game

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Haven't read through the entire thread, but these would be at the top of my list:

- Inability to tackle Stephen Baker (or was it Ingram?) on third down in Super Bowl XXV.

- Music City Miracle

- Ronnie Harmon's drop

- Thurman's fumble to start second half of the SB against the Cowboys

- Dawson Knox whiffed block that cost us the Texans playoff game

Good call.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BTB said:

Even if you are too young to remember it, there is no other answer except for “wide right”.  😞

So stop trying to come up with a unique answer that no one else has mentioned. 

It was a 47 yard field goal. They go in maybe 60% of the time...missing one isn’t that bad a play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

A couple of years ago, someone let a kickoff roll into the endzone and didn't bother to pick it up and take a knee. Instead, the opposing team (Jets, I think?) fell on it for a TD.

Great one!  I forgot that one. One of the dumbest plays I've ever seen. 

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is it for me, hands down.  I know I have posted this before, but I remember watching this at the Bills bar I have been going to for years. I am not always super over the top demonstrative, especially with bad plays. But when JP fumbled that ball, I felt this surge or rage, and I slammed my beer down on the table and just let out a long "F******CK!!!!!!".  It is so not me...I was so angry.

I have, seriously, only missed one Bills game in 41 seasons.  I have seen a lot of bad plays, there has been a lot of frustration....but this one really sent me over the edge...for a day or so, for the first time in my cognizant Bills fan life, I was seriously considering not watching any more Bills games, at least for the rest of that season.  Of course, I was back for the last 2 or 3 games that season...but I that idea never entered my mind before that.

I hated Dick Jauron as our head-coach so much (and I know he wasn't necessarily the worst), and this play just encapsulated the frustration I had been feeling for two seasons under Jauron.  And we got off to a pretty great start that season...but Jaurons' teams just took the fun out of football for me...they were boring, cautious, and just played not to lose... the one time that would have actually been acceptable, they  just handed a game over to the other team...they had it won.  

Was it JP's fault, was it Turk Schonert? Or was it dead-eyes Dick Jauron? I didn't care anymore!  This was really the dog-days of the drought.

Edited by Buftex
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Not the worst in history, but as someone else mentioned above, that Leodis McKelvin kickoff return fumble against the Pats**** really stands out for me.

The McKelvin kickoff return fumble gets extra credit because when McKelvin was interviewed about the play after the game, he said he would definitely bring the ball out of the end zone if he had it to do over again.  Incredibly poor situational awareness.  Down the ball in the end zone, kneel on it a few times at the 20, and win the game against a divisional opponent that has owned you for years.

• Agree 1

as for more modern era bad plays.

the bills have 3 mentions in this list.  Ranking the NFL's 10 Worst Plays in the Last Decade

Bills Decide to Not Touch Kickoff, Give Up Touchdown

Stevie Johnson drops potential game-winner, appears to blame God: Not only did the Buffalo Bills wide receiver commit one of the most egregious drops in NFL history when he was wide open and couldn't haul in what would have been a game-winner in overtime against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2010, but he doubled down by taking to Twitter and seemingly pinning it on God. (He did follow up with somewhat of an explanation.)

Josh Allen's dangerous lateral in the 2019 playoffs: After picking up a first down on a scramble late in a recent postseason tilt with the Houston Texans, the Bills quarterback made a baffling decision on the fly by inexplicably trying to lateral as he was being tackled. He was saved by tight end Dawson Knox, who batted the ball out of bounds, and Buffalo still drove for a game-tying field goal. Still, it was one of those moments that caused the nation to jump and scream collectively.

texans game was tough but knowing now how JA and the team bounced back, it was a good lesson to learn going forward.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

It was a 47 yard field goal. They go in maybe 60% of the time...missing one isn’t that bad a play.

Not sure what the odds of making the kick have to do with the question.  It was a kick to win the SB, and it sailed wide right.  

Worst play in Bills history?  IMO...absolutely.