Have you gotten your tax refund back?

Royale with Cheese

11 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Sooo after months of checking the IRS app on a near daily basis, this morning I finally got my refund approved. It’s a little less than what I was expecting but I should get it by the 28th of July…

Good for you. I'm still waiting. I just emailed my congressman to complain about the delay. I have been patient. Enough is enough. 

• Sad 1

On 5/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

That is Teef's info.  I also have his shoe size and allergies.

I think so.  I don't remember being born but my first memories were in Virginia.

That sounds pretty sketchy there Raul..,

😂

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still have not received my tax refund. Last week, I mailed my congressional office material relating to my case. Today I got back an email from the congressional office stating that they are opening up a case file for me. They have notified the IRS's office that handles complaints emanating from congressional offices. The congressional office told me that it usually takes two to three weeks for the IRS to respond to them and to the taxpayer. 

What has aggravated me more than anything is that my financial situation has been consistent for the past number of years. There is nothing about this year's return that should have caused additional scrutiny. Over the past number of years my tax returns were processed in two weeks or less. I have an H&R Block CPA who is very competent.  She has done it for the last half dozen years so she is familiar with my financial situation.  My tax return was e-filed this year in February. The IRS's performance is beyond being inadequate This is outrageous.  

On 7/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, Brennan Huff said:

Why are you lyao?

It belongs to @JohnC?  :)

I kid, good luck getting it worked out!

I am currently sitting in the third and final week of our rental house in the NC mountains that just happened to be covered to within $100 by our refunds. We had planned the trip, then got the tax news that it was basically “free”. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I still have not received my tax refund. Last week, I mailed my congressional office material relating to my case. Today I got back an email from the congressional office stating that they are opening up a case file for me. They have notified the IRS's office that handles complaints emanating from congressional offices. The congressional office told me that it usually takes two to three weeks for the IRS to respond to them and to the taxpayer. 

What has aggravated me more than anything is that my financial situation has been consistent for the past number of years. There is nothing about this year's return that should have caused additional scrutiny. Over the past number of years my tax returns were processed in two weeks or less. I have an H&R Block CPA who is very competent.  She has done it for the last half dozen years so she is familiar with my financial situation.  My tax return was e-filed this year in February. The IRS's performance is beyond being inadequate This is outrageous.  

So many people are working from home John. Many of them fired their child care workers and are getting paid to watch their kids. 

Welcome to the new age. :( 

11 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

So many people are working from home John. Many of them fired their child care workers and are getting paid to watch their kids. 

Welcome to the new age. :( 

For the past ten years or so the IRS has been targeted as a political whipping boy. The agency hasn't received adequate enough funding to properly do its job. So with the pandemic and remote working laid on top of an archaic IT system the system collapsed. It's going to take years to rebuild this rickety agency to the point where it can handle its responsibilities. 

As I stated in previous postings what has agitated more than anything else is that I received a letter from the IRS requesting more information. The problem is that it didn't indicate what information was needed. I gave the letter to my tax preparer and asked her what information do they want? She said she couldn't determine it from that letter. She then called the IRS and asked them what additional information do you want? The IRS went into the file and read the document requesting more information. The IRS representative said I don't know.  

What makes this saga so exasperating is that my financial situation has been the same for the past number of years. Never a problem. There is nothing to distinguish this year's tax return from the past number of years. Usually I get my return within two weeks. I'm hoping that with the congressional office's involvement I will get movement on this case. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm hoping that with the congressional office's involvement I will get movement on this case. 

I recently retired from the federal govt. It took more than 4 months to get a pension check. I asked my congressman to step in. He never answered me, but did send me a letter several months later telling me all that he is doing for the community. You would have  been proud of my response.

I am retired from the city and the feds. I can speak more freely these days lol!

Good luck Brother!

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Sundancer said:

My FIL is an accountant. Says he wants to throw the phone through a wall for people calling about this. 

That's like a Domino's employee getting pissed off when someone calls to order a pizza.

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's like a Domino's employee getting pissed off when someone calls to order a pizza.

Not really.

It would be like a Domino's employee getting pissed off when a customer calls saying the door dasher never delivered their food.

Domino's did their job, the neglect is on another company.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I filed my taxes in early Feb. I still have not had my taxes processed. In filing a complaint to my congressman's office I was told that the IRS should be notifying in 2 to 3 weeks. That was a month ago. They didn't respond. It's futile even attempting to call the IRS. I seethe. 

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

I filed my taxes in early Feb. I still have not had my taxes processed. In filing a complaint to my congressman's office I was told that the IRS should be notifying in 2 to 3 weeks. That was a month ago. They didn't respond. It's futile even attempting to call the IRS. I seethe. 

The IRS is one of the worst run organizations in the this country.

I personally do my taxes throughout the year and mess with my deductions to make sure my takes are pretty much right on so I don't need to pay or get a lot of money back.  Usually get it within 100 dollars or so.  I think people forget that most are just getting back what they overpaid, just don't overpay.

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The IRS is one of the worst run organizations in the this country.

I personally do my taxes throughout the year and mess with my deductions to make sure my takes are pretty much right on so I don't need to pay or get a lot of money back.  Usually get it within 100 dollars or so.  I think people forget that most are just getting back what they overpaid, just don't overpay.

I'm in a different situation than you are. Much of my revenues comes from dividends and capital gains from stocks. It is difficult to project what the market returns will be each year. It's safer to project a high return in order to avoid owing. 

There is a reason why the IRS is in a shambles and can't function well. For the past ten years or so this agency for political reasons has been gutted. Their computer systems are archaic, their equipment such as copiers and faxes are inadequate and most importantly their staffing has withered. This agency is simply underfunded. And that was the intent.

There were funds added to the infrastructure bill that would have addressed the agency needs. One party insisted that those targeted funds be cut out of the bill that was likely to pass and moved on to another bill that is less likely to pass. This was planned destruction. And the outcome shouldn't be a surprise.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.