Have you gotten your tax refund back?

Royale with Cheese

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

575-44-5950

Bank account: 908474330

Routing: 0049784432

575? I did work for IRS on training system and first three digits indicate where you were born.

575 is someplace very far north in Minnesota or maybe it is Wisconsin.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

575? I did work for IRS on training system and first three digits indicate where you were born.

575 is someplace very far north in Minnesota or maybe it is Wisconsin.

Well, mine starts with a 1 so I take it that Buffalo is #1 then. Wooooo hooooo.....

I haven't gotten my 2019 return yet. Granted it was all my fault (sarcasm) because I apparently neglected to check the box that said married and filing jointly, which has been the case since 1992. Not only that but both names, SS#s, signatures and everything else were on the returns.

I was expecting about 2K back, yet in December I received a letter from the IRS telling me I owed them $ 175.00 so I wrote them a ck for that as well. This error has also cost my wife and I half of whatever stimulus cks we were supposed to receive. After a few phone calls, I sent them a copy of my return with the correct box checked as they requested, back in January, haven't heard a thing from them.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Nova Scotia.

Mine is 051 which is Chicago.  Never knew why my father was living in Chicago.

There was some rule about assignment for first triple number of foreign born children of US citizens but I do not remember what it was.

I know if you get your citizenship via naturalization it is assigned to you of the immigration office you are naturalized.

It is interesting that naturalized citizens have to pass a test that many native born citizens could not pass.

I owe. No.  Last few years the first time in 30+ years I had to owe.  Fed playing games withholding.  Not withholding enough from wife, even know she claims 0 through year and we file 4 at end of year.  Crazy.  I can imagine those tactics get people in tax jeopardy.  Not sure what's going on.  I just withhold the $150 every two weeks.  /smdh

But... Now Illinois, yes... Just got a fat refund.  Took a few weeks after I get in with Fed deadline.  Go figure.

27 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There was some rule about assignment for first triple number of foreign born children of US citizens but I do not remember what it was.

I know if you get your citizenship via naturalization it is assigned to you of the immigration office you are naturalized.

It is interesting that naturalized citizens have to pass a test that many native born citizens could not pass.

Mine begins with "0".  I was before the mandatory 1973.  My father DAV, so we had ours in 1960s.  

I THINK 1973 is when they started going low-high, east-west.  People born out here are 3s.  Yet,  old timer at work's father was a 0 born in Illinois.  Again, I think the 1973 is the mandatory year.  Wife if older than me, her's starts with 1.  But she got after 1973.  A guy from Puerto Rico 🇵🇷 I work with his starts with a 5.

My 0 stands out like a sore thumb in a sea of 3s here....

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I was completely BS’ing you.  I was born in Oklahoma.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was completely BS’ing you.  I was born in Oklahoma.

The state, or the play? Can you tell us a bit about the wind comes sweeping down the plain? 

Our federal and state refunds are within $100 of our three week house rental in the NC mountains this summer. The wife wanted something special for her birthday ending in a zero. It seemed extravagant when booked, but then we got word from the CPA it was paid for almost to the dollar. It was meant to be!

We have family and friends booking dates to join us. Good times! 

Edited by Augie

11 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Crap, I filed late April, might be Thanksgiving by the time it comes. 

Why?  I filed my son's return the Wednesday before 5/17.  He got his refund in under 7 days.  Fed is fast.  File midweek all the time. 

It's the state that is slow.  Yet.  My Illinois refund is in my bank account as of this week... I filed same day as my son.

AND I didn't realize if you owe, you can file early and have it debited on the tax deadline.  If I would have known that, realized you can schedule the payment, I would have filed back on when the 5/17 was set. /wallbash I am slow on the uptake!

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I owe. No.  Last few years the first time in 30+ years I had to owe.  Fed playing games withholding.  Not withholding enough from wife, even know she claims 0 through year and we file 4 at end of year.  Crazy.  I can imagine those tactics get people in tax jeopardy.  Not sure what's going on.  I just withhold the $150 every two weeks.  /smdh

But... Now Illinois, yes... Just got a fat refund.  Took a few weeks after I get in with Fed deadline.  Go figure.

Fed isn't playing any games.  You're in complete control of your withholdings.  You can change your W-4 as often as you please.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Fed isn't playing any games.  You're in complete control of your withholdings.  You can change your W-4 as often as you please.

Yes. I understand.  I just got lazy... Wife says she did, claimed 0 and an extra $100-$150 every two weeks... I knew it wasn't coming out with her employer, so I withheld it.  Didn't want to argue.

What bugs me... We are very simple, clean return... If she claims 0 through year and then claim 4 at tax time... Why isn't her employer withholding at least the right amount in the ballpark.  Few hundred each way... NOT owe 1,000s.

And yes the Fed is playing games... I work for them.  She makes more than me.  They withhold only $300 more from her than me.  We both withhold zero... OR maybe it's her employer (the village) that's playing games?

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes. I understand.  I just got lazy... Wife says she did, claimed 0 and an extra $100-$150 every two weeks... I knew it wasn't coming out with her employer, so I withheld it.  Didn't want to argue.

What bugs me... We are very simple, clean return... If she claims 0 through year and then claim 4 at tax time... Why isn't her employer withholding at least the right amount in the ballpark.  Few hundred each way... NOT owe 1,000s.

And yes the Fed is playing games... I work for them.  She makes more than me.  They withhold only $300 more from her than me.  We both withhold zero... OR maybe it's her employer (the village) that's playing games?

I am the last one to ask exactly how it works, because I simply don't know.  I'm sorry you had to owe this year.  Like you, I have extra money withheld every 2-weeks ($100) to help avoid owing.  Son is 18 now, so that bonus is gone.  We'll see what happens next year.  I can't believe we're almost halfway there already.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I am the last one to ask exactly how it works, because I simply don't know.  I'm sorry you had to owe this year.  Like you, I have extra money withheld every 2-weeks ($100) to help avoid owing.  Son is 18 now, so that bonus is gone.  We'll see what happens next year.  I can't believe we're almost halfway there already.

By no means I feel bad... The check I write just goes to pay my wage.  Think of it like working for free for a week or two. I got nothing to complain except what the heck is going on in my wife's payroll office?  Do they hold that money, then send lump payments to IRS?... I can kinda see why they don't want a lot of money?  Does it make their government grants, etc... Go away if they are holding too much?  Have big bank accounts until they make payments?  OR do they withhold right to the IRS every two weeks... I can't see why they wouldn't... We are in electronic age! She's in the public sector, local government too! /smh

Crazy... They simply aren't withholding enough of her pay.   She claims 0 exemptions.  You should be able to claim at least yourself, 1 and still be pretty spot on with the withholding.   

They (I am not going to say who, that's politix) in the early 1990s did same... Then people bumped to 0 exemptions... Just so they can get a refund and not owe. 

Pure convenience for me.  I'd rather overpay then underpay, under withhold... You don't wanna get yourself in a trick bag with the IRS... And that's why an interest free loan is worth it with me.

AND... They get more money every two weeks to spend.  All going in the General Fund, they can use it every two weeks, AND people don't end up pissing away a small amount every two weeks... Over paying, getting a refund gets them to sink into into the economy on bigger ticket items... OR gasp... Pay down debt, or double-gasp....SAVE!

They are all definitely playing games! There's a "war" with withholding. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.