Bills Sign Reid Ferguson to 3-Year Extension**$675,000 signing bonus makes him NFL’s top paid long snapper

22 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Sal Capaccio 

@SalSports

Since 2017, The Bills have attempted 549 punts, field goals, and extra points combined. Reid Ferguson has snapped on every single one of them without a hitch. Zero errant snaps in 549 attempts. Impressive.

I wonder if center gets dinged and he needs to go in to replace center will his agent ask him to start holding out.

Jinx

On 5/29/2021 at 8:23 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I always admired long snappers. It’s the way “normal people” can game the system and end up playing college and pro ball.  

You act like he's not a good athlete

The dude is in way better shape than a normal person

And he makes tackles on punts after snapping.. no average Joe can do that

What he did do was choose a safer and smarter football career choice. When he was 15 years old in high school he could have tried to be a TE or C in college

But he's probably smart enough to know he was one of the best long snappers in the country, at a position that doesn't get banged up 

So let's focus on that

I would say he's not even close to an average Joe athletically. I don't think an average Joe can make it through 4 years of LSU strength and conditioning 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

Can you imagine being paid a million bucks per year (and getting wined and dined to boot, no doubt), and all you have to do is hit the gym a lot and do your job for 90 seconds per week. Oh, and you also get about six months of vacation per year. Why isn't every big kid in America trying to become an NFL long snapper? 

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

What he did do was choose a safer and smarter football career choice. When he was 15 years old in high school he could have tried to be a TE or C in college

But he's probably smart enough to know he was one of the best long snappers in the country, at a position that doesn't get banged up 

So let's focus on that

I would say he's not even close to an average Joe athletically. I don't think an average Joe can make it through 4 years of LSU strength and conditioning 

well, not My intent to suggest he isn’t a good athlete.  But I have known a decent amount of guys that could have never really started on the HS or college football team, devoted their time to becoming excellent long snappers (which is a real skill), and were able to play that way. 

I am sure at the NFL level, the long snappers are decent athletes in their own right. But I suspect they also aren’t in the same class of athletes of the other position players on the team. That’s why you never seen these long snappers take up another backup position spot too— eg, there is no chance they would put Reid in as the backup center. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

well, not My intent to suggest he isn’t a good athlete.  But I have known a decent amount of guys that could have never really started on the HS or college football team, devoted their time to becoming excellent long snappers (which is a real skill), and were able to play that way. 

I am sure at the NFL level, the long snappers are decent athletes in their own right. But I suspect they also aren’t in the same class of athletes of the other position players on the team. That’s why you never seen these long snappers take up another backup position spot too— eg, there is no chance they would put Reid in as the backup center. 

Well if you actually stated that the first time I would have agreed

Of course their not on the same level as athletes as the rest of the playing field.. one is in the top 1%.. one is like the top 10-15% 

But he's still a much better athlete than the average Joe.. of course he couldn't play center

3 hours ago, skibum said:

Can you imagine being paid a million bucks per year (and getting wined and dined to boot, no doubt), and all you have to do is hit the gym a lot and do your job for 90 seconds per week. Oh, and you also get about six months of vacation per year. Why isn't every big kid in America trying to become an NFL long snapper? 

A lot of the big kids not smart enough and not consistent enough?

On 5/30/2021 at 1:34 PM, Buffalo716 said:

So let's focus on that

On 5/30/2021 at 1:34 PM, Buffalo716 said:

So let's focus on that

holy overreaction, Batman 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

🤣 I just think it's crazy to call any NFL player an average Joe athletically

Yea, I think everyone in the room took it as an average athlete among athletic people and not an all world guy. that someone with the right frame and moderate gifts could dedicate themselves to it and possibly succeed. 

Not that if you grabbed 3 random dudes out of line at the game one could step with some good coaching during warm ups in and 1 would be a coin flip 

• Like (+1) 1