Strongest Arms in NFL History (Josh Allen and Jim Kelly both featured)

MJS

Vick may have had better arm strength than Josh, and that’s debatable (and even if true would have been marginally better),but without accuracy it means little.  Kind of like how it’s good to have height as a QB, but being the tallest (Dan McGwire?) ever doesn’t necessarily mean a whole lot.

Edited by Doc

On 5/27/2021 at 5:50 PM, MJS said:

Wow, this was a treat to watch. Some great QB's with big arms. Josh Allen is featured at the 3:10 mark and Jim Kelly is featured at the 9:26 mark.

(You will likely need to click through to Youtube)

NFL Throwback is definitely one of my favorite YouTube channels. They have a lot of cool older games like the Kelly vs Marino Winter Wonderland duel, Comeback Game, and loads of other great games of that era. The thing I like is they edit them down just to the 15 minutes or so of action so you don't have to devote a whole afternoon to watching one game. The NFL Network used to do something similar so you could catch up on the non-Bills games that you missed that week. IDK why they stopped.

Anyways, I think Josh Allen has the best arm in the NFL. People will say Mahomes, but I don't think so. Unless he's lying, Josh has said he's thrown it 87 yards before. My favorite play ever is the game against the Jaguars where he launched the ball to hit Foster in stride for the 75 yard TD w/ 2 defenders draped on him. No offense to Mahomes, but I can't see him making that throw. 

FYI I had a question about the 90s Bills (I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about that era like some younger fans.) How strong was Jim Kelly's arm in comparison to the rest of the league? Where would you rank him? 

28 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

NFL Throwback is definitely one of my favorite YouTube channels. They have a lot of cool older games like the Kelly vs Marino Winter Wonderland duel, Comeback Game, and loads of other great games of that era. The thing I like is they edit them down just to the 15 minutes or so of action so you don't have to devote a whole afternoon to watching one game. The NFL Network used to do something similar so you could catch up on the non-Bills games that you missed that week. IDK why they stopped.

Anyways, I think Josh Allen has the best arm in the NFL. People will say Mahomes, but I don't think so. Unless he's lying, Josh has said he's thrown it 87 yards before. My favorite play ever is the game against the Jaguars where he launched the ball to hit Foster in stride for the 75 yard TD w/ 2 defenders draped on him. No offense to Mahomes, but I can't see him making that throw. 

FYI I had a question about the 90s Bills (I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about that era like some younger fans.) How strong was Jim Kelly's arm in comparison to the rest of the league? Where would you rank him? 

I'm a younger fan too and didn't grow up watching Jim Kelly, but I've watched a lot of highlights and old games from that era. Kelly threw a really pretty ball and he had some nice deep passes, and I think something has to be said about his production in the winter wonderland that is Buffalo. That requires a stronger arm.

That being said, I never came away thinking Kelly had some amazing, strong arm. I'd bet he was above average at least, but I would not have assumed that he would be among the strongest in NFL history. But, I could be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/27/2021 at 5:03 PM, transient said:

Just started to watch, but had to comment. It's a shame Vick wasn't a better QB... or human being for that matter... because it was always fun to watch him zing a football 60 yds on a rope with the flick of his wrist.

I still attest if you can make pro bowls in the NFL without opening a playback you could have been the best ever. You just sucked at being a decent human and employee. 

3 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I still attest if you can make pro bowls in the NFL without opening a playback you could have been the best ever. You just sucked at being a decent human and employee. 

Hall of famers are usually supremely gifted athletically and physically AND are super hard working. There are plenty of physical and athletic freaks who could be great but don't put in the work, as well as those players who work extremely hard but don't have the physical gifts.

Brady doesn't belong anywhere near a strongest arms in history list.  He looked like he had to put every ounce of strength he had into his deep throws.

From an objective standpoint, the list needs JaMarcus Russell and Jay Cutler.

On 5/27/2021 at 10:44 PM, Klaista2k said:

Allen has a strong arm but rarely takes advantage of it.

Very disappointing. 

This post right here is yelling out a high level of confusion,

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Allen doesn't take advantage of his arm strength so not sure what you mean? 

There have been plenty of times the only reason a ball was completed was because of Allen’s arm strength. The touchdowns to Davis in both the Pittsburgh and Miami games. The lasers he throws into spaces that best cover 2 that shouldn’t ever beat a cover 2. The Jacksonville touchdown his first year. The touchdown to Yeldon in the Titans game.

The problem isn’t he doesn’t try to use his arm strength, his problem was he had no touch in his passes before last season 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Arm strength is what allows you to get the ball in those windows, though. Obviously it isn't the most important thing for a QB, but when you have it, it helps.

Arm strength imho = speed of the ball. Fitzpatrick can throw the ball decent speed. Tyrod too. I think the ability to grip the ball and sling it from multiple angles helps. 

On 5/27/2021 at 6:23 PM, MJS said:

Vick had a heck of an arm. He really should be in the conversation for strongest arms in NFL history. He just wasn't accurate enough, and my guess is he wasn't great at reading defenses. He obviously bailed the pocket a lot to run. He also lacked touch. Great athlete with a big arm, though.

Later in his career, with Philly, he really developed.  If he had been that good of a QB with Atlanta, instead of just being an athlete, he would have gone down as an all time great, instead, he is what he is.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, Josh Allen has a strong arm but did you know his arm is also arrogant?! The horror! The unmitigated gall! Dumbest GD poop I've ever read. 

Oh man, they need to make a video of the most arrogant arms in NFL history. Allen would be right on top of that list.

Edited by MJS
  • Haha (+1) 1

A strong arm isn't just about those long throws, although they are fun to watch.

Velocity is also about getting the ball from your hand to the WR as close to immediately as possible once you make the decision to throw. Windows close fast in the NFL.