Strongest Arms in NFL History (Josh Allen and Jim Kelly both featured)

MJS

4 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Yes I did.

How many deep throws did he connect on?

Do you have statistics that show? 

I do. According to next gen stats Allen was 26-of-64, 771 yards, 9:3 TD-to-INT ratio, 106.2 passer rating on deep passes (pass attempts of 20 plus air yards). This ranks him 10th in the NFL in 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-deep-passers-of-2020-aaron-rodgers-lands-at-no-4

This site ranks him 7th, using a different methodology:

https://brickwallblitz.com/2021/02/16/the-2020-21-deep-ball-project-part-3-3/

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

If you press play on the video there should be a button that says "watch on YouTube" or something like that. Clicking that should take you directly to the video, so you shouldn't need to do a search for it.

The NFL likes to restrict their videos for some reason. They want them to be only viewed on YouTube. Not quite sure why.

Has to be money.....always the $$$

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Did you not watch the 2020 season? Allen was very good on deep throws.

It takes some people a few years to realize what has been going on right in front of their eyes!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, transient said:

Just started to watch, but had to comment. It's a shame Vick wasn't a better QB... or human being for that matter... because it was always fun to watch him zing a football 60 yds on a rope with the flick of his wrist.

Allen has strongest arm in NFL history period.  

14 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Allen has a strong arm but rarely takes advantage of it.

Very disappointing. 

Looks to me he's been listening to his coaches.  

13-3 last year, 15-4 counting the playoffs.  If you want to see a circus performer check out other teams.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I do. According to next gen stats Allen was 26-of-64, 771 yards, 9:3 TD-to-INT ratio, 106.2 passer rating on deep passes (pass attempts of 20 plus air yards). This ranks him 10th in the NFL in 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-deep-passers-of-2020-aaron-rodgers-lands-at-no-4

This site ranks him 7th, using a different methodology:

https://brickwallblitz.com/2021/02/16/the-2020-21-deep-ball-project-part-3-3/

For what we're talking about, 20 yards is like a screen pass.  The stats ought to be on throws of 40+ yards.

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

I recall him using it a few times on the intermediate throws but I wouldn't say quite often.

And he almost never connects on the deep ball so he can't take full advantage of his arm strength. 

Arm strength is more important for tight window throws than deep balls.  Other than hail mary's, you aren't going to have enough time to throw the ball 60 yards down the field anyway.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Utah John said:

For what we're talking about, 20 yards is like a screen pass.  The stats ought to be on throws of 40+ yards.

I disagree completely. It doesn't take arm strength to throw the ball 50 yards. Where Allen's arm strength really shines is on those 20 to 30 yard throws where he guns it in there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Arm strength is more important for tight window throws than deep balls.  Other than hail mary's, you aren't going to have enough time to throw the ball 60 yards down the field anyway.  

Anything of 40+ air yards is fairly uncommon for the reason you listed, and also just because it's not usually prudent because those plays are low percentage completions. So yeah, you can take a shot play here or there to keep a defense honest and hope you hit one, but there's a reason offenses don't call those plays that often, regardless of who you have at QB.

So statistics of plays of 40+ air yards should always be taken with a grain of salt because it's usually a very small sample size of throws.

All of the QB's in the top 10 in deep throwing averaged less than 1 attempt a game of 40+ air yards. Allen actually attempted 13, which was high.

Edited by MJS

On 5/27/2021 at 11:02 PM, MJS said:

Marino sure had a quick release and a nice throwing motion. I actually think Brady's throwing motion is really nice, although he doesn't have as big of an arm as the others in the video. Peyton Manning had a nice high release that got the ball over the linemen. Steve Young also had a nice throwing motion.

Maybe 10 years from now it will be commonly accepted that Allen has the biggest arm ever. He certainly has the tools...

Lefties just look better at throwing a ball.

Rogers just looks effortless and accurate is bomb.

I honestly don’t think arm strength makes a QB. The improvisational skill and ability to see a window and get the ball into it makes a QB. 

14 hours ago, Utah John said:

Looks to me he's been listening to his coaches.  

13-3 last year, 15-4 counting the playoffs.  If you want to see a circus performer check out other teams.

The NFL Has always considered a deep pass over 20 yards

You can watch an entire NFL game and not even see a ball travel 40 yards in air 

Fans always think the deep ball is some 50-60 yard bomb all the time.. 

But the deep ball is still a timing route and most are in the air within 20 30 yards

And Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers are like the only two quarterbacks I've ever seen that throw 20 to 25 yard square in routes routinely, like it's a part of their route tree 

You could watch a hundred NFL games and maybe see that throw completed 5-7 other times.. and they're all on third or fourth and 18th

Josh made that throw 7 -8 times last year.. and a lot of them were on first and 20 or 2nd and 20

That's pure arm strength and accuracy. The zip uncanny

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Never thought of Culpepper as having a “big arm” — his long throws were balloons, he just had Randy Moss to catch them.

A little surprised Lamonica didn’t make this list.  I mean, a guy with the nickname “The Mad Bomber” should have been there, right?

Allen may not have the best deep ball in terms of air underneath it but: a) You can’t really build an offense around that style of football anyways and b) Allen can rifle a ball within that 40-50 yard range on a rope regardless so long there is a throwing lane.

Where the strength of Allen’s arm comes into play is within that short to intermediate passing windows. He throws the ball so hard that defenders can’t really react and there’s no way they can jump the ball for an interception. 

From my perspective in 30+ years watching...using just the eyeball test (no combine data or anything) here is what my list would be.  Eyeball test includes those that could flick their wrist and throw it 65 yards as well as those that could sling it into tight spots like Josh.  

Allen

Vick

Mahomes 

George

Marino

Moon

Rodgers

If I had to pick one it would be between Vick and Allen. 

For the guy that says Allen doesn't use it.   I'd say 3 or 4 times a game he makes throws veey few others can make.   It's not about just deep balls it's about the 30 yard rockets he throws on the run as well.  

7 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Lefties just look better at throwing a ball.

Rogers just looks effortless and accurate is bomb.

I honestly don’t think arm strength makes a QB. The improvisational skill and ability to see a window and get the ball into it makes a QB. 

Arm strength is what allows you to get the ball in those windows, though. Obviously it isn't the most important thing for a QB, but when you have it, it helps.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/27/2021 at 8:08 PM, BuffaloBill said:

After I watched Matthew Stanford I had to think what a waste of talent. The guy never had a real team around him.

He played on several top Offenses.  Had a tp 3 D once.  Lots his D's ere middle of the pack.

He' a 9-7 guy.  Overrated.

For arm strength, there was Vick...and then there was everyone else.

• Disagree 1