New NFL-NFLPA Covid protocols

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

This thread will not be allowed to become Beasley Thread Part Deux.

If you posted on here and your post was considered of general interest, but about Cole Beasley and his Twitter-fest, check the locked Beasley thread.

I may have moved it there.

Should this thread stay open to talk about the NFL/NFLPA covid protocols in general, or should it lock?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should this thread stay open as a place to talk about NFL/NFLPA Covid protocols in general?

• Yes, keep it open, there are points to be discussed
    • No, lock its ass, people will just use it to go on about Cole Beasley's tweetfest

50 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I get the forfeit idea after some of the messes last year, what I can’t get is players losing game checks for the forfeit. That’s incredibly dirty for the team not at fault to lose their pay when they did things the right way. I seen up top about possible financial losses having to be covered by an offending team but that didn’t say game checks for players, sounded to me like it’s worded more for the owners to recoup the ticket sales loss 

Why should teams only be penalized when it is likely that teams did everything correct and they are mandating their employees except players to get vaccinated?

3 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

Problem I see here is the NFL’s inconsistent message. Brandon Beane is told he can’t cut a player due to vaccination status. However this memo says he can however be punished for his unvaccinated players. How is that fair?

It isn't but evidently that was an agreement with NFLPA.

If NFLPA had a choice all players would be paid for all contracts and incentives and not need to work.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Why should teams only be penalized when it is likely that teams did everything correct and they are mandating their employees except players to get vaccinated?

It isn't but evidently that was an agreement with NFLPA.

Right and as of last week there were still 4 teams under 50% vaccination - not sure what teams are supposed to do when they can’t mandate it 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I’m not sure how to respond to that honestly. I only took issue with players losing game checks in the event of a forfeit. 

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m not sure how to respond to that honestly. I only took issue with players losing game checks in the event of a forfeit. 

They are supposed to be partners but NFLPA acts like an ex-spouse not contributing anything anymore but asking again and again for raises in alimony.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Right and as of last week there were still 4 teams under 50% vaccination - not sure what teams are supposed to do when they can’t mandate it 

Some of those players are probably asking "Damn why did NFLPA push to not allow teams to cut players who were not vaccinated?  If they cut me I could collect another signing bonus from another team."

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL is essentially telling its employees they need to get vaccinated, which is entirely within their right to do.  The employee can either get with the program or leave the employ of the NFL.  It is no different than my health care network mandating that we all have to be vaccinated.  

All the science supports the value of vaccination.  The NFL understands that.  Focus on science and not politics and this is a non-issue.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, pepsicat17 said:

So he’s cool with potentially hurting his team, their families and all other staff/families in the NFL with illness but the money and seeding consequences are what is really making him take pause. Tells you all you need to know about the challenges we face as a species.

Very doubtful he sees it that way.  Hopkins likely subscribes to the same viewpoint a Player Who Shall not Be Named expressed "If you get vaccinated you are good? So if I don’t i shouldn’t pass it on to you regardless, right?".   He also likely is more focused on false positive test results than false negative test results, so he believes (like said Player who Shall not Be Named) if he tests negative everyday, he isn't infecting anyone or hurting them with illness.

Both of those beliefs are mistaken, but FROM THAT VIEWPOINT, he's likely not at all cool with hurting teammates, family etc with illness.  He doesn't think that's a factor.

This whole "punish teams for something that's supposed to be a player decision" is a horrid, horrid move by the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The NFL is essentially telling its employees they need to get vaccinated, which is entirely within their right to do.  The employee can either get with the program or leave the employ of the NFL.  It is no different than my health care network mandating that we all have to be vaccinated.  

All the science supports the value of vaccination.  The NFL understands that.  Focus on science and not politics and this is a non-issue.

Except that the NFL and NFLPA negotiated that vaccination was supposed to be a player choice, not required.  I think it's fair that the choice has consequences for the player (eg, they have to follow last year's protocols) but to put consequences on the whole team for something that may not even result from protocol violations by the player seems very coercive. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Very doubtful he sees it that way.  Hopkins likely subscribes to the same viewpoint a Player Who Shall not Be Named expressed "If you get vaccinated you are good? So if I don’t i shouldn’t pass it on to you regardless, right?".   He also likely is more focused on false positive test results than false negative test results, so he believes (like said Player who Shall not Be Named) if he tests negative everyday, he isn't infecting anyone or hurting them with illness.

Just because he is… misinformed then it’s ok?  Do you think he’d change his mind if someone told him, “No, we aren’t good and you can pass it on to others?” Maybe he would change his stance then? I’d say no he wouldn’t cause the info about that is readily available to anyone who wants it. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

the science supports the value of vaccination.  The NFL understands that.  Focus on science and not politics and this is a non-issue.

The league's overall policy has nothing to do with science but purports to. The NFL is concerned about optics and money. I would suggest that mandating a vaccine is still worthless if you have protocols in place that allow anyone to freely associate with other people outside the team, vaccinated or no. To suggest that everyone being vaccinated removes the risk of illness while allowing them to associate with other vaccinated people outside the team facility is willfully misleading. You cannot mandate a vaccine and not mandate restricted association with others. Science shows that vaccinated people are not immune and though afforded protection against the newer strains, still susceptible to getting and spreading the disease. The issue here is the inconsistent application of logic in league policy, not anyone's personal beliefs about vaccination vs non-vaccination. Please stay on topic. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

The league's overall policy has nothing to do with science but purports to. The NFL is concerned about optics and money. I would suggest that mandating a vaccine is still worthless if you have protocols in place that allow anyone to freely associate with other people outside the team, vaccinated or no. To suggest that everyone being vaccinated removes the risk of illness while allowing them to associate with other vaccinated people outside the team facility is willfully misleading. You cannot mandate a vaccine and not mandate restricted association with others. Science shows that vaccinated people are not immune and though afforded protection against the newer strains, still susceptible to getting and spreading the disease. The issue here is the inconsistent application of logic in league policy, not anyone's personal beliefs about vaccination vs non-vaccination. Please stay on topic. 

The science shows that vaccinated people are much less likely to contract or spread the virus, and are at virtually zero risk of dying or contracting severe illness.   The topic is simple:  the NFL has a product they want to protect.  They also have a vested interest in their players not dying or getting severely ill due to Covid, although we all know the NFL’s main thing is $$$$$$. The medical people for the NFL know the science and have I’m sure advised the league as such.  The one thing I would advise the league is to not do testing of vaccinated individuals.  Again because they are much less likely to contract and/or spread.

The league is a microcosm of society right now.  The CDC says vaccinated people can live their lives.  The NFL apparently agrees. The league is favoring vaccinated over unvaccinated players.  So is society.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2