New NFL-NFLPA Covid protocols

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

This thread will not be allowed to become Beasley Thread Part Deux.

If you posted on here and your post was considered of general interest, but about Cole Beasley and his Twitter-fest, check the locked Beasley thread.

I may have moved it there.

Should this thread stay open to talk about the NFL/NFLPA covid protocols in general, or should it lock?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should this thread stay open as a place to talk about NFL/NFLPA Covid protocols in general?

• Yes, keep it open, there are points to be discussed
    • No, lock its ass, people will just use it to go on about Cole Beasley's tweetfest

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think he was possibly just frustrated and didn't have a clear idea how/where to focus his frustrations.  It's not unique to Cole, the reason there are people who make their living advocating for patients with health insurance issues or for consumers with problems is that it's not natural for everyone to know how to advocate for themselves effectively.

This just in:

"We" in the thread context is clearly Cole and NFLPA leadership, which seems like a positive and productive step.

What is "this" in your post?  Beasley doesn't seem to be complaining about pressure for vaccination, but rather about the details of the protocols for vaxx'ed and unvaxxed players.

I have questions about these specific protocols myself, which it's beyond the scope to discuss here.  If I were a player I would want to know what is the science and evidence behind them, because it is reasonable for an unvaccinated player to want to feel he can prevent catching covid and keep himself available to the team.

Ah yes, the "have my cake and eat it too" approach that is so wildly popular nowadays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Welp. 

This Is Fine GIF

It seems like he's intent on lighting his reputation on fire. Yes, some people support him, but the majority don't, since 64% of adults have taken at least one dose. Digging in and saying you're not going to wear a mask or get vaccinated is a PR nightmare.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

It seems like he's intent on lighting his reputation on fire. Yes, some people support him, but the majority don't, since 64% of adults have taken at least one dose. Digging in and saying you're not going to wear a mask or get vaccinated is a PR nightmare.

I really didn't think his tweets from yesterday were going to amount to anything long term but this one is a bit concerning.

He seems to want to keep this going and it is going to be a distraction for the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 6/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why would they "retire" and face giving back millions of dollars of amortized signing bonus not to mention potential future earnings? 

Basically, the protocols unvaccinated players follow are just what they dealt with last year, and few players opted out, can't think of any who retired.  So if someone has strong convictions, they can just shrug and say "OK, I lived this way last year".

I'll be honest though, I don't see how the different rules can help but become a distraction if the clubs actually enforce the different rules.

Why indeed....

On 6/18/2021 at 6:30 PM, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I might get roasted for this, but I hope the Bills trade this moron tonight.

I feel the exact same way... let him retire. This nonsense is a complete distraction... we had so much momentum from last year and we DO NOT need a Bickering Bills repeat.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ll agree Beane needs to meet with him as soon as all these guys are done with vacations as everyone is gone for a month.  I’ve said in another thread it was a different issue, but Polian pulled in Thurmond and Kelly and basically made them cut it out.

For me Both Pegulas, Beane, and McD should sit him down and reaffirm choose to vacc. Or not, but face the league penalties with no reprieve.  Escalate and cut.  The Bills have too much momentum to blow it because of his temper tantrums.  The choice on vacc or not is his, but the tantrum of I refuse to follow any rules like a child is not.  That’s my problem, not the vacc. Choice.  I’m vacc. But I don’t care if he doesn’t as long as he is not an infection risk to others.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:42 AM, YoloinOhio said:

There’s every chance that more players, like McKenzie, agree with Beasley than not.  Those who are saying he’s creating dissension in the ranks don’t know what they’re talking about.

35 minutes ago, mannc said:

There’s every chance that more players, like McKenzie, agree with Beasley than not.  Those who are saying he’s creating dissension in the ranks don’t know what they’re talking about.

I think @Chandler#81 and @SDS did the right thing yesterday when they shut down the thread discussing Beasley's twitterfest.

We let it go for a while, because people needed to air out their views, and the airing took place, took place, took place and took place.

I don't think we need to continue this thread as another "Beasley Thread" - the above opinion was thoroughly aired and discussed already.

Should this thread stay open to talk about the NFL/NFLPA covid protocols in general, or should it lock?

Please see poll

I think aspects of the protocols are worth some discussion.  For example, a good point brought up in the other thread by @Beast was the building evidence that covid-19 infection provides protection from re-infection that is at least as good as some vaccines.   This is recognized by several countries which require either proof of vaccination or proof of a covid-19 infection less than 6 months and more than 11 days previous.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think @Chandler#81 and @SDS did the right thing yesterday when they shut down the thread discussing this.

We let it go for a while, because people needed to air out their views, and the airing took place, took place, took place

I don't think we need to continue this thread as another "Beasley Thread"

Please see poll

It’s an important issue that needs to be discussed.  The fact that there are strong differing viewpoints should not lead to the thread bring squelched.  (I did not participate in the thread yesterday, but the fact that it went to 80 pages pretty quickly tells you that this is an issue people care about.)