New NFL-NFLPA Covid protocols

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

This thread will not be allowed to become Beasley Thread Part Deux.

If you posted on here and your post was considered of general interest, but about Cole Beasley and his Twitter-fest, check the locked Beasley thread.

I may have moved it there.

Should this thread stay open to talk about the NFL/NFLPA covid protocols in general, or should it lock?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should this thread stay open as a place to talk about NFL/NFLPA Covid protocols in general?

• Yes, keep it open, there are points to be discussed
    • No, lock its ass, people will just use it to go on about Cole Beasley's tweetfest

9 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I would say Beasley's post is about as off point as the tweet he is responding to. Beasley is talking about a specific very niche situation. The tweet about some dude's sister going through awful experiences day in and day out (much respect to her for real) is a logical fallacy...it's unrelated...very good chance Beasley's response about the flu is making that very point...it's a logical fallacy...just like bringing up the guys sisters experience when Beasley is talking about something that impacts like 1000 people on earth directly (nfl covid saftety protocols).

I think it's very much related and not a logical fallacy - if for no other reason than those 1000 NFL people are all out in communities interacting with others -  but again - we're not going down that rabbit hole.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is neither about football and is a pretty long leap from the post you're responding to.  Take it somewhere else.

OK a couple of things:

1) The protocol for covid-19 safety is indeed vaccine related, because the NFL has chosen to set up two sets of safety protocols - one for vaccinated and one for unvaccinated players. 

2) We are NOT going to go into whether or not the NFL protocols have a gap or are sufficient.  That can't be rationally discussed without a deep dive into the latest data on covid-19 transmission to vaccinated people and by vaccinated people, and we're simply not going to do that here.

Further posts down that rabbit hole will quietly disappear.

Thank you for cutting me off, got sucked in there for a bit! Genuinely, I don't even know what I really think about the situation yet.  

Wanted to try the argument from Beasley's point of view on for size as devil's advocate, and ended up digging in on it a bit more than I planned. Oh boy though based on the points people made here he's gotta be getting blasted on Twitter.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HardyBoy said:

Thank you for cutting me off, got sucked in there for a bit! Genuinely, I don't even know what I really think about the situation yet.  

Wanted to try the argument from Beasley's point of view on for size as devil's advocate, and ended up digging in on it a bit more than I planned. Oh boy though based on the points people made here he's gotta be getting blasted on Twitter.

No problem, appreciate the honesty.

I think @wjag had the key point:  Beasley said repeatedly that he gave up social media and turned his accounts over to his PR team and was much happier.  So evidently he just can't resist sticking his feet back in the water of social media then complaining about the temperature of the water.

I don't Do Twitter.  I follow a bunch of media people who provide great information and some other informative accounts of interest to me - but in general, it's way too full of, well, Twits.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No problem, appreciate the honesty.

I think @wjag had the key point:  Beasley said repeatedly that he gave up social media and turned his accounts over to his PR team and was much happier.  So evidently he just can't resist sticking his feet back in the water of social media then complaining about the temperature of the water.

I don't Do Twitter.  I follow a bunch of media people who provide great information and some other informative accounts of interest to me - but in general, it's way too full of, well, Twits.

I stopped using it entirely (not installed on my phone), but it was great when I first started using it (i was a fairly late adopter) and followed a very few people. Best personalized and curated newspaper ever at that early point. Then followed more and more people and turned into a fire hose of stuff and made it hard to find the real good content, and real easy to waste time making dumb comments to people, so I quit.

Ironically, it is a really good way to deal with legit issues you are having with a corporation. You will get the attention of the organization if you do it right, and someone will reach out typically.

Haven’t read this thread at all. But I assume most of the last pages are about Beasley. My two cents: I don’t care if you are anti-vaccine. I’d really prefer all of the Bills players got the shot. But I understand (or try to) that some people don’t want to get it. That’s insanity to me, but I understand differing opinions. 

However, calling the NFLPA “a joke” and asking “did we vote for this?” (you didn’t directly, but your reps did) publicly is just asking for trouble. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Remember when Androstenedione hit the market back in 1998? A completely untested, unregulated supplement that acted like a lite anabolic steroid. No one knew what was really in it. Yet almost every baseball, football, and hockey player immediately started taking it.

Nah, you could buy Andro powder(with yohimbe bark!) at the Summit Park Mall GNC back in the late 80's.   Anybody that walked in looking for a post-lifting protein powder was getting recommended this andro product and being told it was not a steroid.   So athletes from HS on up were already using it.    But I get your point......the rationale is pretty random.    

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

I stopped using it entirely (not installed on my phone), but it was great when I first started using it (i was a fairly late adopter) and followed a very few people. Best personalized and curated newspaper ever at that early point. Then followed more and more people and turned into a fire hose of stuff and made it hard to find the real good content, and real easy to waste time making dumb comments to people, so I quit.

Ironically, it is a really good way to deal with legit issues you are having with a corporation. You will get the attention of the organization if you do it right, and someone will reach out typically.

Interesting point about the corporation.  I wonder if that's Beasley's intent - cast a net and have someone reach out to him?  That could be either good or bad, depending upon whether it's someone from the league saying "bro, got it mixed - if you need more background on the basis for the protocols, we're here to help" -vs- someone looking to fan the flames as it were.

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

Haven’t read this thread at all. But I assume most of the last pages are about Beasley. My two cents: I don’t care if you are anti-vaccine. I’d really prefer all of the Bills players got the shot. But I understand (or try to) that some people don’t want to get it. That’s insanity to me, but I understand differing opinions. 

However, calling the NFLPA “a joke” and asking “did we vote for this?” (you didn’t directly, but your reps did) publicly is just asking for trouble.

It's a point: Cole's kind of throwing his teammates Harrison Phillips and/or Dion Dawkins "under the bus" as (apparently) his NFLPA "alternate" reps

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a point: Cole's kind of throwing his teammates Harrison Phillips and/or Dion Dawkins "under the bus" as (apparently) his NFLPA "alternate" reps

Not to mention Josh Allen, who was the 1st to say it’s “in house,” and McDermott (who was pretty open discussing vax issues with the press before the players got into minicamps.)

And we all know about how Beane got absolutely roasted (by the same union beasley is calling a joke) after he made his comments about cutting an unvaccinated player. 

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the way it's supposed to work is that the NFLPA rep from each team is supposed to get info on the proposed rules and take them to the players he represents.  Since the Bills are listed as not having an NFLPA rep, maybe that didn't happen?  Or maybe the Bills "alternates" Dawkins and Phillips were supposed to make it happen and "dropped the ball" being too busy with other stuff?

I understand he's upset, I get that bit but based on vaccination data that we know of for NFL players, I think his thoughts about the policy are in the minority. It's possible he was informed by the players and is still unhappy with the policy and has questions. Some of those answers are right there in the policy, like vaccinated players are still being tested, just not as regularly. I think in this instance the NFLPA did actually represent the players, in that I think if the NFL had their way it would have been get the vaccine or don't play.

Based on what all the team leaders were saying, that they want to keep this stuff internal, I think he's stepped out of line a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Every workplace is struggling with how to deal with vaccinated vs unvaccinated people. It’s your choice not to get vaccinated. But when did choices stop having consequences? 

Last Thursday.  There was a memo and everything.  It was a stop; start and continue, where only “stop” was addressed.  The PDF should be in your inbox.  If not, check your spam filter.  If it’s not there, try restarting your computer.  If still nothing, blame Tremaine Edmunds.

• Haha (+1) 2

Cole still yapping this morning. 

The crux is this - don’t even need to bring up Covid. The team leader says we keep issue X in the locker room. WR takes issue X out of the locker room and whines about it on Twitter.

Hopefully Hodgins can ball.

• Agree 2

If anyone is looking for some laughs, Beasley getting absolutely roasted in the thread on /r/NFL

1 hour ago, 716er said:

Cole still yapping this morning. 

The crux is this - don’t even need to bring up Covid. The team leader says we keep issue X in the locker room. WR takes issue X out of the locker room and whines about it on Twitter.

Hopefully Hodgins can ball.

We brought in Sanders. Just swap him in.

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The kid played through a painful injury last playoffs so I don't doubt his toughness and commitment.  His intelligence on the other hand....

Speaking of which...

Does anyone believe he did that totally naturally? Or did he, like every other NFL player, have the team Dr shoot some chemical into his body which he has no clue what it contains, in order to numb the pain?

Little punk hypocrite.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If anyone is looking for some laughs, Beasley getting absolutely roasted in the thread on /r/NFL

We brought in Sanders. Just swap him in.

Speaking of which...

Does anyone believe he did that totally naturally? Or did he, like every other NFL player, have the team Dr shoot some chemical into his body which he has no clue what it contains, in order to numb the pain?

Little punk hypocrite.

I think they shot it into his head.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How have McD and/or Beane not told him to shut the heck up yet?

1 minute ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

How have McD and/or Beane not told him to shut the heck up yet?

Thinking back to the "Patriot Way" and how BB ran such a tight ship during those dynasty years, and how McD is pretty much doing the same thing and had all his players in line... How do you think BB would have handled a #3 WR stepping out of line and going public like this? Would he even make it back into the facility? Or would they have just shipped the player his stuff from his locker?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

There is zero chance this changes if he keeps it in the locker room. This is not a question of discussing the value of vaccines publicly. He's talking about how the policies enacted by ownership and the union leadership, in which he had no input and no amount of in locker room talk would change are putting him and his family at risk.

There's zero chance this changes by him yelping about it on Twitter, either.  And it's not clear to me what exactly he's concerned about.  At first I thought he was concerned about heightened exposure of himself in meetings etc, but then I thought "no, the protocols require him to be masked in those meetings if he's not vaccinated, so he can protect himself."

He's supposed to have input.  Not Democracy - public health measures should not be subject to majority vote - but input and transparency.

If Cole is worried about the safety of himself and his family from Covid, there is this tool of preventive medicine readily available  to himself and his wife?

If he has questions about the scientific or medical basis behind the protocols and whether they're sufficient to protect his family, Twitter is not the place to get answers - the NFLPA has said "if players have questions, call us", the team has NFLPA "alternate" reps, etc.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is that in response to this?

Some of the other responses in that thread are pretty funny:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1