New NFL-NFLPA Covid protocols

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

This thread will not be allowed to become Beasley Thread Part Deux.

If you posted on here and your post was considered of general interest, but about Cole Beasley and his Twitter-fest, check the locked Beasley thread.

I may have moved it there.

Should this thread stay open to talk about the NFL/NFLPA covid protocols in general, or should it lock?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should this thread stay open as a place to talk about NFL/NFLPA Covid protocols in general?

• Yes, keep it open, there are points to be discussed
    • No, lock its ass, people will just use it to go on about Cole Beasley's tweetfest

Props to @YoloinOhio who put this up in the McDermott presser thread

image.thumb.png.a22cfcd572b1f99c18c664fc7f3411d5.png

They should still be testing fully vaccinated individuals at some interval - perhaps that's still under negotiation.

I was gonna put it in the OTA thread then I decided better to give it its own thread in case things get out of hand.

Try to limit the discussion to NFL, NFLPA, football etc.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1

So for all the secrecy of who was vaccinated and who was not, all you will need to see his footage of those wearing masks at the facility.  It amuses me how a player can look at the restrictions for not getting a vaccine and saying, "I'm good with that."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

So for all the secrecy of who was vaccinated and who was not, all you will need to see his footage of those wearing masks at the facility.  It amuses me how a player can look at the restrictions for not getting a vaccine and saying, "I'm good with that."

It's basically asking them to live over last season, as far as I can tell.

If there weren't a tenable alternative, it wouldn't mean very much for the NFL/NFLPA to say "vaccination isn't mandatory", would it? 

But not everyone shares your view that it's reasonable.  If you go to the twitter thread there are a bunch of comments to the effect that it's "bull####" or "forcing players to get vaccinated"

I would doubt that press would have access to the facility, or only very limited access - just like last year.  But if the Bills are serious about privacy on vaccination status, they would simply tell everyone to mask up when being videoed.

There's a lot of stuff in there I can see as potentially divisive to a team

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's basically asking them to live over last season, as far as I can tell.

If there weren't a tenable alternative, it wouldn't mean very much for the NFL/NFLPA to say "vaccination isn't mandatory", would it? 

But not everyone shares your view that it's reasonable.  If you go to the twitter thread there are a bunch of comments to the effect that it's "bull####" or "forcing players to get vaccinated"

I would doubt that press would have access to the facility, or only very limited access - just like last year.  But if the Bills are serious about privacy on vaccination status, they would simply tell everyone to mask up when being videoed.

There's a lot of stuff in there I can see as potentially divisive to a team

So I didn't say anything about forcing a player to get a vaccine.  And I doubt a player who isn't required to wear a mask is going to wear one.  It seems to me the NFL is on full speed ahead to return to normal.  Full stadiums, less restrictions on vaccinated players, live draft, etc...  So I fully expect reporters will be out of their cars and back in the building by training camps.  Again, I just don't see how you can look at that list of restrictions and come to the conclusion that I would rather wear a mask in the weight room, go through mandatory testing every work day, be segregated in the lunchroom, get tossed off of planes for trips if you are in close contact with a positive person, etc, etc..  And yet some will..  Crazy to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Nobody forces anyone to get up and go to work everyday.. it's a choice we all make, just like this.

The NFL/NFLPA are apparently going to make it extremely enticing to get the shot, and extremely inconvenient to not get it.  But it's still a choice. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, wjag said:

So I didn't say anything about forcing a player to get a vaccine. 

I didn't say that you did. 

You said:

It amuses me how a player can look at the restrictions for not getting a vaccine and saying, "I'm good with that."

I said that if you go to the twitter responses to the OP tweet, you would see that not everyone agrees with you that it's amusing.  I could have misunderstood you and you may have meant that those were unreasonable restrictions (in fact from below it looks as though I did)

And I doubt a player who isn't required to wear a mask is going to wear one.

Why not, especially if it's for a limited "Dog and Pony Show" while the media is in the building or while a PR video is being shot?  "We're trying to keep vax status confidential, masks are a tell, take one for the team and mask up during press hour"

It seems to me the NFL is on full speed ahead to return to normal.  Full stadiums, less restrictions on vaccinated players, live draft, etc...  So I fully expect reporters will be out of their cars and back in the building by training camps. 

I don't see this at all.  The full stadiums are a matter of revenue.  The less restrictions on vaxxed players are trying to induce players to vax.  But the clubs hate unfettered press access to the locker rooms and buildings.  If they're not allowing actual employees access to players/facilities without being vaccinated, I don't see why they'd let press in  - sure, they could require vaccination as part of the credentialing process, but there's no real way of assuring it's valid, and it's just more exposure to the team.

I see a distinction between the NFL doing things that are to its benefit, and things that are kind of a PITA to them anyway.

Again, I just don't see how you can look at that list of restrictions and come to the conclusion that I would rather wear a mask in the weight room, go through mandatory testing every work day, be segregated in the lunchroom, get tossed off of planes for trips if you are in close contact with a positive person, etc, etc..  And yet some will..  Crazy to me.

Yeah, I misunderstood your point.  I actually expect there will probably be a kerfluffle over this.

33 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think the NFL and NFLPA have gone about this the right way and I applaud their collaboration and the practical outcome.  

There's a first time for everything, right?  It almost gives one hope for humanity's future.  (JK I'm not that naive.)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I think the NFL and NFLPA have gone about this the right way and I applaud their collaboration and the practical outcome.  

Bill Belichick already has a way around this, just out of habit. :)

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, wjag said:

So I didn't say anything about forcing a player to get a vaccine.  And I doubt a player who isn't required to wear a mask is going to wear one.  It seems to me the NFL is on full speed ahead to return to normal.  Full stadiums, less restrictions on vaccinated players, live draft, etc...  So I fully expect reporters will be out of their cars and back in the building by training camps.  Again, I just don't see how you can look at that list of restrictions and come to the conclusion that I would rather wear a mask in the weight room, go through mandatory testing every work day, be segregated in the lunchroom, get tossed off of planes for trips if you are in close contact with a positive person, etc, etc..  And yet some will..  Crazy to me.

It's also crazy that players do things to put their millions of dollars and fame at risk, yet sometimes they do. But, I'm sure most of them will come to, or already have come to, the same conclusion as you, that getting the vaccine will remove a lot of hassle from their profession.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Totally agree.  Working with a Union is extremely complicated and it's hard to find middle ground.  This seems reasonable- I mean essentially you are free not to get the vaccine, but there are negative consequences you must deal with.

I think the NFL overall has been masterful throughout this crises and managed a full season last year

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Amazes me that some players are not getting vaccinated.   Totally leaves other teammates, family members etc at risk.  Sorry, to me its  irresponsible in a large group organization like a full/close contact sport team. 

No other way to look at it.  Sure unvaccinated players, go ahead and walk around like a loaded gun all season.  Nice.  Not respecting your teammates or their families or the team.    200 million vaccinated without side effect incident worth noting that I'm aware of... ]

come on teammates, follow the science/do the math.   The stuff is safe.  Go get it.  Seriously.   

Remember when Bruce Smith refused to get a flu shot, got the flu and missed a playoff game.  Not quite as impactful but still selfish and irresponsible.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, the INhumanity! 

They did this last year.  and Lee Smith talked about building a sauna in his garage so some of the players could use it instead of the facility....Law of Unintended Consequences

Sounds like what Titans players did getting around rules.  

Comp pick for Bucs?

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Props to @YoloinOhio who put this up in the McDermott presser thread

image.thumb.png.a22cfcd572b1f99c18c664fc7f3411d5.png

They should still be testing fully vaccinated individuals at some interval - perhaps that's still under negotiation.

I was gonna put it in the OTA thread then I decided better to give it its own thread in case things get out of hand.

Try to limit the discussion to NFL, NFLPA, football etc.

Looks exactly like our new protocol that got released today. 

Leagues must be copying and pasting from each other.