Who is the next Wyatt Teller

2 hours ago, OnTheRocks said:

Who do you see on the current roster that the Bills might give up on that has the potential to become a Pro Bowler?

(and I know the Bills didn't necessarily "give up" on Teller, but they gave away a future pro bowler on the cheap).

It's happened, what, once in five years? Ten? More?

I don't see any particular reason to think it will happen again that way anytime sooner than the space before it happened last time before Teller, which was ... I don't know, does Ross Cockrell count? Woods who they wanted to keep but couldn't with their cap problems post-Whaley? Does Marquise Goodwin count? Kiko? Cordy?

Now, giving up on guys who then prove solid players elsewhere, that happens more the stronger your roster becomes and the more the cap forces you to choose cheap younger guys over giving second contracts. That I'd anticipate soon. Who? Hodgins, maybe? Corey Bojorquez? Jaquan Johnson? Harrison Phillips? Maybin's year with the Jets? Levitre? Marshawn forcing his way out of town? Poz, maybe, though I think they liked him but just weren't willing to pay market for a guy who didn't fit their switching system. Whitner having a decent career for where he actually should have been drafted rather than where we mega-reached for him?

Holecek, maybe, though that was more about scheme fit. Ronnie Harmon, though that was more about him trying to throw Kelly under the bus. Ahhhhhh, Lodish, maybe, as he made two more SBs with Denver?

Once in a blue moon these things happen.

For those saying Ford, unless he gets injured again there's every chance he'll be starting here for years. He was greatly held back by being forced to switch positions, sides and missing out on the offseason due to COVID before his second year.

Edited by Thurman#1

26 minutes ago, delirious said:

Who knows how Wyatt would have turned out here. I think he benefitted greatly from having Bill Callahan as his coach.

He started some games his rookie year for us and did well.  Many on this board felt he was ascending leading up to the trade.  I'm not sure anyone was predicting he was going to be a pro-bowler.  He was closer to what Ike Boettger was at the start of last year

Ryan Bates. That dude can play. Every time he has stepped on the field he has done well. I fully expect him to put it together for another team and become a solid starter.

And I'm ok with that. Having an abundance of talent that leaks onto other teams is a sign of a good franchise.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, OnTheRocks said:

Who do you see on the current roster that the Bills might give up on that has the potential to become a Pro Bowler?

(and I know the Bills didn't necessarily "give up" on Teller, but they gave away a future pro bowler on the cheap).

What ya fishin for, asking for a friend...

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

No Don he wants phone a friend or 50/50.

I had to sit through enough of that stuff with my parents years ago when I came to visit.  Sad thing is my dad still watches wheel of fortune.  Whenever I come to visit I feel dumber in 30 minutes.

He's not watching 'Wheel of Fortune', he's watching Vanna.
image.thumb.jpeg.2983895c7c491d1791b53bc1c1b94519.jpeg 
See if Pops wants to buy a vowel...

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

This one’s easy. Jason Peters. 

Different deal. 

Every team loses guys as a result of not being willing to pay market value. Scheme fit also when coaching changes. 

Relatively few have enough good guys at any position that they decide to give up a young, cheap guy with some talent who hasn't finished his development in his first couple of years because there just isn't room enough for all the good players. That's what Beane did here, and he did it just before the guy hit his tipping point because they had an awful lot of pretty good players at OL.

The Peters fiasco was a horrible decision, but a decision of a different kind.

Edited by Thurman#1