Harrison Phillips- Can he become what he was drafted for?

On 6/15/2021 at 10:59 AM, NewEra said:

I don’t expect much of him.  I saw him play in 2019 and didn’t think much of him then. 1.5 years off and I don’t see any reason why he would improve.

I'm in the same boat. I don't have anything bad to say about him, just one of those I could take him or leave him kinda things. I just think he gets little too much $$.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/15/2021 at 11:59 PM, NewEra said:

I don’t expect much of him.  I saw him play in 2019 and didn’t think much of him then. 1.5 years off and I don’t see any reason why he would improve.  

again.  What does that say about me?  Is the bolded you’re answer?  

I didn’t see any probabilities listed.  Is it documented somewhere that 300lb 30+ year old players that take 1.5 years off have the same probability of getting injured as the average player?   Last I knew Harrison phillips isn’t 30+ years old, so I don’t see how he’s relevant 

Yes, I can be a poor summarizer.  I misread your post.  

Fair enough that you misread my post. I make enough mistakes for ten people, myself.

Equally fair that you don't expect much of him. It seems pretty misguided, though, as when last here he was a crucial part of an elite defense that then wasn't nearly as good, in very predictable ways, without him.

However, I find it immensely difficult to understand how you are still puzzled about what you said that says more about you than Star. I believe I've gone over that three times now. Perhaps I didn't express it clearly enough. I'll try yet one more time, but this will be it.

You said, "Star won't be playing." That's wacko. It's taking your own quite unlikely opinion for fact. Says more about you than it does about Star.

You said, "I said that if he plays, he’ll get hurt." Also quite wacko to think that you can be sure of something that is so very unpredictable.

I could throw in a couple of more things, but there are two things that you said that show far more about you than they do about Star.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

In the first five games of 2019 Harrison was playing really well. He got hurt (and the run defense slipped into a bad state for the middle of the season) and came back in 2020 not playing at nearly the same level. Hopefully a full season removed from his major 2019 injury (which did happen 5 games into the season) he can return to form. Sadly in 2020 Harrison was mostly a forgettable rotation player. Not tragic as he can play rotational snaps but kind of a JAG. Hopefully with a more normal and regimented off-season and more time removed from injury helps him. 

3 games but I am also hopeful. Reason for my hope is they saw him for more than just the 3 games in 2019. They saw him for training camp. If he was balling out for those weeks it would explain why there wasn’t more of an investment in what I still consider the position group that scares me the most. 

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

How does brining a player back address team speed? 😅

@Thurman#1 is a doozy.😆

He definitely would have been THAT guy adamantly defending Dick Jauron by comparing his record in his first 3 seasons in Buffalo to Bill Belichick's record in Cleveland.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fair enough that you misread my post. I make enough mistakes for ten people, myself.

Equally fair that you don't expect much of him. It seems pretty misguided, though, as when last here he was a crucial part of an elite defense that then wasn't nearly as good, in very predictable ways, without him.

However, I find it immensely difficult to understand how you are still puzzled about what you said that says more about you than Star. I believe I've gone over that three times now. Perhaps I didn't express it clearly enough. I'll try yet one more time, but this will be it.

You said, "Star won't be playing." That's wacko. It's taking your own quite unlikely opinion for fact. Says more about you than it does about Star.

You said, "I said that if he plays, he’ll get hurt." Also quite wacko to think that you can be sure of something that is so very unpredictable.

I could throw in a couple of more things, but there are two things that you said that show far more about you than they do about Star.

It’s obviously just my opinion…..it’s not fact. I’m not pushing that it’s a fact.  It’s a prediction…….It’s a message board where people give their opinion.  My opinion is that when the real bullets are flying (in the playoffs) he won’t be playing.  

so….a guy giving his opinion on a message board says what about that guy?  Maybe you’re reading it as fact or maybe I worded in a way where you thought that way.  That wasn’t my intention

quite wacko to think that I’m not just giving my opinion about this as opposed to actually announcing to the world that I know what will happen.  I don’t….

are you done betting all bent over someone giving their opinion? 

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean how do you suggest the team added speed and then cite a guy who was already on the team last season as that added dimension of speed? 😅

That’s something The Big Cat would do. 

@Thurman#1's  "HEEEEEEEEEEAT Maps" moment is likely to happen this summer.........he has piled up so much BS this offseason that TSW might need to buy some carbon credits to avoid an emissions fine.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

@Thurman#1's  "HEEEEEEEEEEAT Maps" moment is likely to happen this summer.........he has piled up so much BS this offseason that TSW might need to buy some carbon credits to avoid an emissions fine.

I've piled up BS?  That's a laugh!!!

Hey, Badol, aren't you the guy who said this about Edmunds:

On 6/3/2021 at 8:08 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

The guy with the 7' wingspan hasn't forced a fumble in 42 games.    

He's never recovered a fumble.

Two provably wrong statements in quick succession. Wasn't that you? And then simply refused again and again and again to admit how wrong you are?

And now you accuse me of BS?

For those who would appreciate a laugh, it's in this thread:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/232971-dpoy-tremaine-edmunds/

On 5/29/2021 at 12:25 AM, NewEra said:

A one year blunder compared to a 4-5 year blunder pales in comparison.

if we cut Star after the 2021 season......the dead cap is 5M.  1.5M more than Coleman’s and after he was one of the most overpaid players in football since 2018.

I can’t wait to see how good Star is this year.

You really think a 3.5M one year cap hit in a year where we were eating 40M in dead cap is his biggest blunder?  

No, and the idea is ridiculous. Coleman isn't his biggest blunder.

Kelvin Benjamin was. $8.5M in dead cap if I remember correctly, because Carolina had picked up his 5th year option.

As for Star, though, there's no particular reason to think we will cut him after the 2021 season. It's possible, but even if you don't like him, they clearly do. The odds would have gone up if they had drafted a potential replacement this year. They didn't.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 6/17/2021 at 2:13 PM, NewEra said:

It’s obviously just my opinion…..it’s not fact. I’m not pushing that it’s a fact.  It’s a prediction…….It’s a message board where people give their opinion.  My opinion is that when the real bullets are flying (in the playoffs) he won’t be playing.  

so….a guy giving his opinion on a message board says what about that guy?  Maybe you’re reading it as fact or maybe I worded in a way where you thought that way.  That wasn’t my intention

quite wacko to think that I’m not just giving my opinion about this as opposed to actually announcing to the world that I know what will happen.  I don’t….

are you done betting all bent over someone giving their opinion? 

Dude, having an opinion like that would be fine. Bizarre, but fine. Again, weird to even think that you could have a good idea who will not even play. But again, you didn't give it as an opinion. You gave it as a fact. For those who weren't watching, here it is, the whole post:

On 5/27/2021 at 12:20 AM, NewEra said:

Sadly, I think he’s our best 1T.  He’s not on the bubble imo.  Star won’t be playing and even if he does, the atrophy will likely set him back even more imo.  

It's not real difficult to indicate something is an opinion. You managed it in your both the first sentence, and the last clause of the post. On the contrary, you stated that as a fact and haven't backed off of it all the way through the five or six posts you've left since.

You knew what you said, as recently as a page ago:

On 6/15/2021 at 1:16 PM, NewEra said:

….. you pretty much agreed with everything that I said except “star won’t be playing”…..after which I said that if he plays, he’ll get hurt.  

If you're now backing off ... hey, fine. A little late, but always glad to see someone revising an argument so it makes a bit more sense.

I'm always trying to look back and see where I could do better, myself. It's why I so often go back and edit my posts. Always trying to say things better.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I've piled up BS?  That's a laugh!!!

Hey, Badol, aren't you the guy who said this about Edmunds:

Two provably wrong statements in quick succession. Wasn't that you? And then simply refused again and again and again to admit how wrong you are?

And now you accuse me of BS?

For those who would appreciate a laugh, it's in this thread:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/232971-dpoy-tremaine-edmunds/

Both entirely true statements in the context of the NFL regular season.........and the thread was specifically about qualifying for the NFLDPOY..........to which only the NFL regular season applies.

Again.........Tremaine Edmunds hasn't forced a fumble in his last 42 REGULAR SEASON games and has never recovered a fumble in the REGULAR SEASON..............if you don't make big plays you aren't going to win the NFLDPOY.

Facts.........no carbon credits needed.:beer:

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Both entirely true statements in the context of the NFL regular season.........and the thread was specifically about qualifying for the NFLDPOY..........to which only the NFL regular season applies.

Again.........Tremaine Edmunds hasn't forced a fumble in his last 42 REGULAR SEASON games and has never recovered a fumble in the REGULAR SEASON..............if you don't make big plays you aren't going to win the NFLDPOY.

Facts.........no carbon credits needed.:beer:

Really? "Both entirely true statements in the context of the NFL regular season"? Wow!! I had no idea that was true, Badol!!

I guess you should then contact the NFL, Pro-Football-Reference.com, and every single other historical organization out there.

Because they say you are ... what 's the word, again ... oh, yeah, "DEAD WRONG"!! That's it. As I've told you again and again, you are simply wrong about that.

The word "never" doesn't have a lot of alternative meanings. You won't find a dictionary where "never" is defined as "outside of the NFL playoffs." And you also won't find one where "hasn't" is defined as " has not except for in the regular season where he has had two."

Folks, do you see how sad this is? He's utterly wrong about forced fumbles, by any measure, in any way of looking at it. 

And while he's right that the thread is about the Defensive Player of the Year, he didn't say anything about that. He simply stated it as a fact:

On 6/3/2021 at 8:08 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

The guy with the 7' wingspan hasn't forced a fumble in 42 games.    

He's never recovered a fumble.

"never" - BADOLBILZ

"hasn't" - BADOLBILZ

Both simply factually wrong.

He's wiggled, squirmed, justified and writhed.

The way to handle that was always to say something along the lines of, "OK, OK, I was wrong about that, but ..." and continuing on. It's still the way to go. I won't hold my breath, though. It's been fifteen days, probably double-digit posts, and counting.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Dude, having an opinion like that would be fine. Bizarre, but fine. Again, weird to even think that you could have a good idea who will not even play. But again, you didn't give it as an opinion. You gave it as a fact. For those who weren't watching, here it is, the whole post:

It's not real difficult to indicate something is an opinion. You managed it in your both the first sentence, and the last clause of the post. On the contrary, you stated that as a fact and haven't backed off of it all the way through the five or six posts you've left since.

You knew what you said, as recently as a page ago:

If you're now backing off ... hey, fine. A little late, but always glad to see someone revising an argument so it makes a bit more sense.

I'm always trying to look back and see where I could do better, myself. It's why I so often go back and edit my posts. Always trying to say things better.

Boy oh boy.  

Everything said here in future tense is an opinion.  I believe that I’ve said “imo” more than anyone on this board over the last 20ish years.   I’ve been mocked for saying it as much as I do.  For that reason, I don’t say it nearly as much anymore.  It’s just a given from what I’ve been told.  It’s people talking about the future.  It can only be opinion.  

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, and the idea is ridiculous. Coleman isn't his biggest blunder.

Kelvin Benjamin was. $8.5M in dead cap if I remember correctly, because Carolina had picked up his 5th year option.

As for Star, though, there's no particular reason to think we will cut him after the 2021 season. It's possible, but even if you don't like him, they clearly do. The odds would have gone up if they had drafted a potential replacement this year. They didn't.

I didn’t say Coleman was the biggest blunder, someone else did.

I agree that KB was a huge mistake.  ITS MY OPINION that we wouldn’t have made the playoffs without him.  Breaking the drought was an epic moment for the city, the fans and the culture of the team.  ITS MY OPINION that he has contributed more to my happiness as a bills fan by helping break the drought than Star has playing 50ISH% of the snaps on D. 

star plays a position where the best of the best get paid 10M a year.  He’s not even close to the best of the best.  IN MY OPINION, we could’ve drafted Tim Settle in the 5th rd and paid him pennies for 4 years and gotten a better player.  We could’ve drafted any of the 1Ts in the 5th rd this year and gotten a similar player and paid them pennies.  

agree to disagree