Harrison Phillips- Can he become what he was drafted for?

On 5/26/2021 at 10:52 AM, TBBills said:

Some reason I cannot get Harrison Phillips out of my head. After watching embedded... 6 times now, I watch get to the part of Phillips talking to Groot when he was being interviewed and keep forgetting he was coming off a knee injury. An injury that takes time with big guys. 

Can he be an important piece in this defensive line that we are overlooking? A year removed from the injury and spent almost his whole off-season training at the Bills facility, is he inbound for an above average season?

If we get an upgrade from a guy who many had big expectations for... I don't know if it was the Kyle Williams friendship hype but I had big expectations of him. I think this defensive line might make a huge jump with our younger guys and AJ having a full off-season to perfect his body.

I have extremely high expectations for this D-Line, and it might not start early but in the stretch that matters most I can see them becoming dominant.

Nobody can replace Kyle Williams. 

Id like to see Ed or Harry step up. Both would be like a wish grant by a Magic Beanie.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/26/2021 at 7:11 PM, NewEra said:

He’s McBeanes biggest player acquisition blunder imo.

More of a blunder than that WR we signed cut by Cleveland making Bills liable for his contract and he was cut before season started?  If you are calling him "McBeanes" biggest player acquisition blunder then you just are obsessed with him.  He has played games and performed job even if he did not earn salary (most post first contract don't).

16 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Joe Marino refers to him as "just a guy" and "below-average depth."

Many would call Joe Marino that. Have heard him referred to as "tweeting twit".

20 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Both Beane and McDermott were here when we signed Lotulelei to a 4 year $40M contract. And both had been on the Panthers and seen his work first-hand for years ... they knew what they were getting.

I think it's pretty clear they value the position quite a lot.

Having said that, it's possible they felt there wasn't good value at that position where they were drafting, though it sure looked to many of us like there really was. 

Originally it was a 5 year, $50M contract.  The restructure of the last 3 years of it only lowered the total dollars by $5.4M but upped the guaranteed money.  It was and continues to be an egregiously bad contract.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Originally it was a 5 year, $50M contract.  The restructure of the last 3 years of it only lowered the total dollars by $5.4M but upped the guaranteed money.  It was and continues to be an egregiously bad contract.

One area the Bills have wasted a lot of money is the DL. They have yet to really get that right. Lotulelei, Murphy, Addison, Butler, and Jefferson. We're talking like $120 million or so for those players and very little production. Draft picks have yet to impact also. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

More of a blunder than that WR we signed cut by Cleveland making Bills liable for his contract and he was cut before season started?  If you are calling him "McBeanes" biggest player acquisition blunder then you just are obsessed with him.  He has played games and performed job even if he did not earn salary (most post first contract don't).

Many would call Joe Marino that. Have heard him referred to as "tweeting twit".

Yeah, I think Star is a bigger blunder than Corey Coleman.  Coleman’s contract cost next to nothing.  It didn’t have an impact.   

Star was getting 10M a year to play a position that young star Dalvin Tomlinson just got paid 10.5M a year to play.... 4 years later.  1Ts don’t get 10M unless they are the among best in the business.  Star was never that. To make matters worse, we restructured Star in a way where we have to pay more money just to cut him.....and even more money if he retires.  He currently has us hostage.

agree to disagree.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I think Star is a bigger blunder than Corey Coleman.  Coleman’s contract cost next to nothing.  It didn’t have an impact.   

Star was getting 10M a year to play a position that young star Dalvin Tomlinson just got paid 10.5M a year to play.... 4 years later.  1Ts don’t get 10M unless they are the among best in the business.  Star was never that. To make matters worse, we restructured Star in a way where we have to pay more money just to cut him.....and even more money if he retires.  He currently has us hostage.

agree to disagree.

$3.5M dollars is next to nothing?  Sounds like fuzzy math to me.  Bills were tight that year when they were dumping players,

The way you determine which was a bigger blunder is cost divided by play values but since Coleman had NO play value Coleman's value is imaginary.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

$3.5M dollars is next to nothing?  Sounds like fuzzy math to me.  Bills were tight that year when they were dumping players,

The way you determine which was a bigger blunder is cost divided by play values but since Coleman had NO play value Coleman's value is imaginary.

A one year blunder compared to a 4-5 year blunder pales in comparison.

if we cut Star after the 2021 season......the dead cap is 5M.  1.5M more than Coleman’s and after he was one of the most overpaid players in football since 2018.

I can’t wait to see how good Star is this year.

You really think a 3.5M one year cap hit in a year where we were eating 40M in dead cap is his biggest blunder?  

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Check the Bills defensive line for that first Chiefs game.... they had scrubs out there getting dominated upfront.... and that was the game plan. They basically begged the Chiefs to run the ball and they did.... at will. 

Star is incredibly overrated on this board. 

I totally agree that Star is overrated.  

Hence the need for a 1T!!

On 5/27/2021 at 9:03 PM, ScottLaw said:

Check the Bills defensive line for that first Chiefs game.... they had scrubs out there getting dominated upfront.... and that was the game plan. They basically begged the Chiefs to run the ball and they did.... at will. 

Star is incredibly overrated on this board. 

Yep.......the Chiefs ran all over the Bills defense in that October game..........and scored just 26 points........which kept the Bills in the game until the final KC drive.

The old-school among us have been slow to admit that running the ball can take your passing offense out of rhythm and even limit your own ability to score in many cases.    Instead running the ball is seen as some key to take the team to the "next level" offensively.:rolleyes:

The last 3 AFC representatives in the SB allowed nearly 5 yards per rush........practically inviting teams to run the ball.....and they won 2 of those 3 SB's and were favored by Vegas in the other.  

I'm not saying their intention was to be bad run defenses.........but like the Bills in that KC game.........they realized that a much greater emphasis needs to be put on pass defense.    If that means sacrificing an extra .5 yards per rush to do that then so be it.    

• Like (+1) 1

I think that Harrison will prove to be a valuable contributor on the DL this year - not necessarily as a starter, but as good solid depth.  I keep going back to him starting to emerge as a player early in 2019 before his knee injury.  I don’t think anyone would question his work ethic.  Hoping he is much healthier this season than at start of last year.

On 5/26/2021 at 5:26 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I think he knows this himself. Hopefully it'll light a fire under him knowing that his career his on the line. I actually think he could be a dark horse this season. 

Might agree about  mentality he needs to have. 
He can spot at 1 tech. But will not be a traditional one, ever.
Thats on McBeanes vision for the Dline and that rotation and matchup week to week and down to down would be Mc Fraziers.
 I still have high hopes for the Kid

As mentioned , he played "tentatively " after the injury.

But as the season went he showed more of he could do.

Lets go Harry !

Go Bills

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Might agree about  mentality he needs to have. 
He can spot at 1 tech. But will not be a traditional one, ever.
Thats on McBeanes vision for the Dline and that rotation and matchup week to week and down to down would be Mc Fraziers.
 I still have high hopes for the Kid

As mentioned , he played "tentatively " after the injury.

But as the season went he showed more of he could do.

Lets go Harry !

Go Bills

I remember his first season. He was not a 1T coming out of college but the coach needed someone to sub for Star. Harrison was the guy who stood out the most as a viable replacement when Star needed to rest. You are right that coming out of college he most definitely was not a 1T, but he has proven to be pretty damn good at the position. Now that he's healthy, he may very well prove to be better than Star and take the starting position.

I found it really odd that the coach wanted Harrison to play the 1T to begin with. In college he had some sick numbers getting after the passer. The more I think about it though, watching us draft two DEs back to back in this years draft, drafting Ed Oliver and having something like 10 DEs on this team, it is becoming clear that the coach values pass rushers over run stuffers. I'm beginning to think that this team is looking for speed on the DLine rather than size/power. More of a NASCAR type defense where the front four are all getting after the passer. It's clear now that Harrison is valued not just to take on two blockers, but because he is one more person on that line that can drop a QB for a loss. It makes it difficult for an OL to choose who to double block. Star is useful simply by being big and powerful, eating double the blockers. Harrison is useful because he can also eat blockers and he can also shoot the gap and sack the QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I remember his first season. He was not a 1T coming out of college but the coach needed someone to sub for Star. Harrison was the guy who stood out the most as a viable replacement when Star needed to rest. You are right that coming out of college he most definitely was not a 1T, but he has proven to be pretty damn good at the position. Now that he's healthy, he may very well prove to be better than Star and take the starting position.

I found it really odd that the coach wanted Harrison to play the 1T to begin with. In college he had some sick numbers getting after the passer. The more I think about it though, watching us draft two DEs back to back in this years draft, drafting Ed Oliver and having something like 10 DEs on this team, it is becoming clear that the coach values pass rushers over run stuffers. I'm beginning to think that this team is looking for speed on the DLine rather than size/power. More of a NASCAR type defense where the front four are all getting after the passer. It's clear now that Harrison is valued not just to take on two blockers, but because he is one more person on that line that can drop a QB for a loss. It makes it difficult for an OL to choose who to double block. Star is useful simply by being big and powerful, eating double the blockers. Harrison is useful because he can also eat blockers and he can also shoot the gap and sack the QB.

I feel same minus the bold.  31 games played and he hasn’t registered a full sack yet

• Like (+1) 1

We talk how he played good in 2019 and we would’ve loved to see more. But we forget the Bills did see more of him. In training camp for a few weeks.

If he was performing at his 2019 level in training camp (seems likely) then that should assuage some of those fears.

He’s obviously at the facilities so the bills would also have good perspective on his approach this year relative to 2019. 

I like Joe Marino (I’m in his jersey raffle) but I think he might be missing what McBeane see. Star has gotten me worried so I’m really hoping for Harry to play out of his mind.