Harrison Phillips- Can he become what he was drafted for?

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Some reason I cannot get Harrison Phillips out of my head. After watching embedded... 6 times now, I watch get to the part of Phillips talking to Groot when he was being interviewed and keep forgetting he was coming off a knee injury. An injury that takes time with big guys. 

Can he be an important piece in this defensive line that we are overlooking? A year removed from the injury and spent almost his whole off-season training at the Bills facility, is he inbound for an above average season?

If we get an upgrade from a guy who many had big expectations for... I don't know if it was the Kyle Williams friendship hype but I had big expectations of him. I think this defensive line might make a huge jump with our younger guys and AJ having a full off-season to perfect his body.

I have extremely high expectations for this D-Line, and it might not start early but in the stretch that matters most I can see them becoming dominant.

The playoff game against the Ravens really gave me a lot of hope. It was hands down his best game as a pro. He was huge against the run and a key factor in Buffalo winning. All in all, I'm 50/50 on the guy panning out. It really comes down to him staying healthy and not going down the Torrell Troup route. He's a likeable guy and I'm rooting for him. I think certain Bills fans put too much pressure on him thinking he's gonna be the next Kyle Williams. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The playoff game against the Ravens really gave me a lot of hope. It was hands down his best game as a pro. He was huge against the run and a key factor in Buffalo winning. All in all, I'm 50/50 on the guy panning out. It really comes down to him staying healthy and not going down the Torrell Troup route. He's a likeable guy and I'm rooting for him. I think certain Bills fans put too much pressure on him thinking he's gonna be the next Kyle Williams. 

Sounds like half the people on this board...

He's had 3 years in the NFL, missed time due to injuries, and hasn't really done much.

Unless he somehow plays like an all-pro this year, this will most likely be his last season as a Bill. He'll be easily replaced with another draft pick who'll probably do a lot better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

The fact that we didn't draft a single 1-Tech, didn't pursue one in FA, and barely looked in UDFA should tell you everything you need to know.

I think he's going to surpass a lot of people's expectations. The guy has had bad injury luck, but when fully healthy, he has been great.

It's always disappointing when people say "bust" or "he'll never be a starter" ... it's more likely he'll be a strong starter than a bench player or cut.

Harrison has been working out under the watchful eyes of the Bills' medical staff and coaches.  If his recovery process wasn't going well, the Bills would certainly have taken action to draft other 1T players.  The fact that they didn't do so tells me they are confident in Harrison's ability to contribute this year.

BTW he started last year pretty tentatively, but by the last month was playing more snaps and was being effective and disruptive.  I think good things are ahead for him.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, costrovs said:

Sounds like half the people on this board...

He's had 3 years in the NFL, missed time due to injuries, and hasn't really done much.

Unless he somehow plays like an all-pro this year, this will most likely be his last season as a Bill. He'll be easily replaced with another draft pick who'll probably do a lot better.

I think he knows this himself. Hopefully it'll light a fire under him knowing that his career his on the line. I actually think he could be a dark horse this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah.....he could be. Most athletes over 30 tend to lose a step after taking 1.5 years off.  Sure, he could be in the minority but life tends to suggest the opposite.  Do you think he’s in the best shape of his life?  If I were star, and I was in the best shape of my life, I’d sure as hell be out there in OTAs showing off

Star is striking me as lazy and unmotivated at this point.  Opting out, not going to OTAs, etc.  

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

Harrison has been working out under the watchful eyes of the Bills' medical staff and coaches.  If his recovery process wasn't going well, the Bills would certainly have taken action to draft other 1T players.  The fact that they didn't do so tells me they are confident in Harrison's ability to contribute this year.

BTW he started last year pretty tentatively, but by the last month was playing more snaps and was being effective and disruptive.  I think good things are ahead for him.

good points, but I'm still worried about the lack of another 1T.  I count Star basically as an unknown at this point, leaving Harry and nothing of a known quantity behind him.  

26 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Star is striking me as lazy and unmotivated at this point.  Opting out, not going to OTAs, etc.  

good points, but I'm still worried about the lack of another 1T.  I count Star basically as an unknown at this point, leaving Harry and nothing of a known quantity behind him.  

Yeah.  I feel the same.  We’ll find out soon enough. 

Hated the signing at the price tag. I figured he’d sign with us and had no problem with it as long as it was market value for an around average 1T.  I thought we’d pay him 6M or so and that would have been an overpay too.  10M was disturbingly high.  He’s McBeanes biggest player acquisition blunder imo.

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He may have to be if Star is done.

019ec87f90d78a87182201329a8c10e0.gif

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sadly, I think he’s our best 1T.  He’s not on the bubble imo.  Star won’t be playing and even if he does, the atrophy will likely set him back even more imo.  

4d08908f9c7122b4d5e908fab63be140.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TBBills said:

I have extremely high expectations for this D-Line, and it might not start early but in the stretch that matters most I can see them becoming dominant.

We should have extremely high expectation of this DL...they spend high Draft Picks and top FA dollars on this bunch and they have not produced championship level play

Can you define what he was drafted for?  At Stanford he was a penetrating DT that made a ton of tackles behind and around the line of scrimmage. He was anything but a 4-3 1-tech DT.  So if you are asking him to occupy two blockers and free up Edmunds to misdiagnose a running play, only one of those things is likely to happen.  See what I did there?  Clever huh?

Can he be an adequate 1-tech DT? Nobody knows.  Maybe, I guess.  Do any of us really know what McD and Frazier want from their DTs?  Outside of Star, all their DT's seem to be the same body type.  All are a bit undersized but are athletic enough to move along the DL.  

• Like (+1) 2

Ethan, you make some good points as I went back and looked a little at his college career, and he was pushed when drafted to be our 1 tech DT rotating with Star.  I don’t if he has added any size from 2020, and that concerns given his longer rehab on a tough injury.

This is a telling year for Harry, but also a step forward for AJ, and on offense Ford.

Horrible Harry's recovery from knee surgery was indeed slow.  I saw some observations that he was playing better toward the end of last season.  Hopefully, he can pick up where he left off and build on it.  Supposedly, he has upside that he hasn't yet shown.

On 5/27/2021 at 12:10 AM, Jauronimo said:

From what I recall, Harrison played his best ball later in the year after spending some time on the inactive list.  I am optimistic he will have his best season this year.

This is my guess. In year one, he really looked promising, especially late in the year.

He could easily be a guy we're very confident of when Star comes out. I'm hoping so. Has always seemed like a great guy. Rooting for him.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

That or McBeane don’t value the position nearly as much as everyone here does... 

Both Beane and McDermott were here when we signed Lotulelei to a 4 year $40M contract. And both had been on the Panthers and seen his work first-hand for years ... they knew what they were getting.

I think it's pretty clear they value the position quite a lot.

Having said that, it's possible they felt there wasn't good value at that position where they were drafting, though it sure looked to many of us like there really was. 

On 5/26/2021 at 6:54 PM, ScottLaw said:

Why are people obsessed with this?

The Bills didn’t get whopped in the AFC Championship game because they were missing a 1 tech or ***** Star. They couldn’t sniff Mahomes and they lacked the speed to keep up with the Chiefs skill set. How does Star fix any of that?

the Bills got beat numerous ways by KC.  IN the AFC Championship game it was because they couldn't get near Mahomes, in the other game, it was because they had zero run D.   The lack of a run D is real, confining an analysis to one game is not good.   We need a 1T AND a better passrush.  

• Like (+1) 2