A Lot of Bills stars Were at OTA's But 1 Star Was Not .

1 minute ago, RichRiderBills said:

I think you're all spinning your wheels on this one. NFL DTs are high risk for CV. Lots of studies support this, including via the CDC and that's really the bottom line.

NFL DTs are at high risk for CV events per the CDC?  Linky please?  Or at least the lots of studies.

Not general population, mind you.  NFL DTs.  Or at least obese but physically active men under 35 with controlled blood pressure and blood sugar.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

NFL DTs are at high risk for CV events per the CDC?  Linky please?  Or at least the lots of studies.

Not general population, mind you.  NFL DTs.  Or at least obese but physically active men under 35 with controlled blood pressure and blood sugar.

I attached the pdf from CDC. If you google Cardiovasular disease amoung NFL linemen like 50 supporting articles pop up.

Let's also add that Star himself has displayed CV symptoms before, and though he was later cleared its not impossible he does have other underlying issues. 

Making assuptions about Star's BP and blood sugar seems a bit silly. I've no clue if they are normal.

Appendix_E_NFL_Notification_FINAL-508 (1).pdf

Edited by RichRiderBills

13 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I attached the pdf from CDC. If you google Cardiovasular disease amoung NFL linemen like 50 supporting articles pop up.

Let's also add that Star himself has displayed CV symptoms before, and though he was later cleared its not impossible he does have other underlying issues. 

Making assuptions about Star's BP and blood sugar seems a bit silly. I've no clue if they are normal.

Appendix_E_NFL_Notification_FINAL-508 (1).pdf 179.54 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks, that's actually freakin' fascinating.  Thank you for linking that.

Imma pull out a table.

image.thumb.png.6995c4f955be932d313265e05adb730a.png

The key point (to me) is that OLmen (who are nice and big and fat - I think in general bigger and fatter than DE overall) had a lower risk, while DLmen had a higher risk, and especially due to cardiomyopathy.  Dunno about you, but if "big fat" OLmen have lower risk while "big fat" DLmen have higher risk, I think it might be safe to say the risk factor isn't being a "big fat" guy per se, but something else.

27 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Appendix_E_NFL_Notification_FINAL-508 (1).pdf 179.54 kB · 4 downloads

This is a report from 31 years ago and based on retired players (3,439 total) from 1959 to 1988.  

This isn't discussing current players who remain very active.  

Obviously older and retired players who keep on the same weight will absolutely be at higher risk.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually it does counter several points you started out making.  No one I see here is arguing that obesity isn’t a cardiovascular risk.  We’re pointing out, in various words, that the degree of relative risk depends upon set of factors that correlate to to obesity in the general population (age, sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, untreated hypertension etc).  

First you said these factors applied to NFL linemen because they had to be sedentary to maintain weight.  

When people pointed out NFL OL are strong and athletic, you said well they don’t do cardio.  When it was pointed out yes they do cardio with multiple examples, now you’re back to trying to apply risk factors evaluated over an entire population to a non-random subset, which is inappropriate use of statistics.  

Complete with gifs and videos of fat dudes labeled with names of Bills players.  

You’ve become a caricature here, give it up.  We all know you don’t like Star and that obesity is a CV risk factor (though you might ask the authors of that letter what the relative risk of obesity is once corrected for age (the biggie), sex, hypertension, and physical inactivity, hmmmm?)

Ciao

LOL!

"Common sense tells me that 320-330# men aren't able to train hard regularly and hold that weight or and not struggle with lower back, hip/knee/foot issues that could keep them off the field." - BADOL

On 5/31/2021 at 6:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

The way McDermott spoke about Diggs suggested he has been in contact and they know where he is at and when he will turn up. The way he spoke about Star indicated that they had no idea when or whether he plans to show up.

I think you're reading too much into his answer. It was clear that McDermott was disappointed with every player that didn't show up at OTAs. He didn't single out Star, someone just asked him a specific question about Star and that's how he responded. My sense was if that he had been asked that question about Hughes or Addison or anyone else he would have given the same answer.

Just now, HappyDays said:

I think you're reading too much into his answer. It was clear that McDermott was disappointed with every player that didn't show up at OTAs. He didn't single out Star, someone just asked him a specific question about Star and that's how he responded. My sense was if that he had been asked that question about Hughes or Addison or anyone else he would have given the same answer.

I am not sure and maybe I missed it, but I thought that they asked about Diggs missing OTAs and McD came across as fine and understanding - like they talked before hand and he knew Diggs was doing his thing. 

Then he was asked about Star missing OTAs and it was a totally different response the second time.  He sounded more upset/disappointed in his lack of attendance.

I did not get the sense he was equally upset at Diggs and Star for missing OTAs.  I also am not sure if the frustration centered around him getting multiple questions about guys that were not there or if it was more Star specific frustration.  

I also don’t know about how he would of responded to others like Hughes or Addision missing the OTAs because that was not asked, but those guys were all in last year and he maybe talked with them. 

I think @GunnerBill may be reading a bit much, but I also think he is correct in the response between Diggs missing OTAs and Star missing OTAs was definitely different.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean you can click on literally the first defensive snap of the 2019 season in this link and it shows Lotulelei taking a double lol @00:43, he get doubled on more than 50% of his snaps

Thank you,  because the presumption here is that he is always or near-always double teamed......which was not the case.

The 1 tech alignment lends itself to double team blocking by attacking the gap between the guard and center........while the 3 tech alignment is designed to create a one-on-one matchup by putting the DT on the outside shoulder of the guard.......a position where it is difficult for the center to reach and where it's presumed the tackle is otherwise occupied.

What good is a traffic cone DT who can't get in the backfield if he isn't absorbing two blockers on nearly every snap?        

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But he didn't on Diggs. It was the contrast that struck me.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But he didn't on Diggs. It was the contrast that struck me.

Diggs is a star player. I don't expect McDermott to have the same standards for him. The rest of the no-shows he expressed equal disappointment on. I'm sure McDermott isn't happy Star didn't show up, but clearly he's still keeping himself in shape and it doesn't mean his future with the team is in question.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Thank you,  because the presumption here is that he is always or near-always double teamed......which was not the case.

The 1 tech alignment lends itself to double team blocking by attacking the gap between the guard and center........while the 3 tech alignment is designed to create a one-on-one matchup by putting the DT on the outside shoulder of the guard.......a position where it is difficult for the center to reach and where it's presumed the tackle is otherwise occupied.

What good is a traffic cone DT who can't get in the backfield if he isn't absorbing two blockers on nearly every snap?        

Yes, Lotulelei is a 1tech and the rest of our DTs have been in the 3techs primarily. He lines up tilted a bunch to occupy the C/G double. He can anchor whereas Jordan Phillips when he was here or Harrison Phillips currently get moved pretty easily. Lotulelei isn't asked to get upfield much because that's not really his role- they like him to take the double without losing ground and keep LBs clean. When he gets a 1v1 he can and does win.

He doesn't look like your average fireplug which is why I think people misunderstand his role a lot but he has great upper and lower body strength and his length allows him to get inside blocks. He's a good player in an underappreciated role.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

All winter Tompsett was talking about Star possibly not playing and the need to draft his man-crush Tyler Shelvin to fill the 1 tech spot:rolleyes:.........so I guess call it an attempt self deprecation.

The part about being afraid to tell the Bills he's retiring?    If someone said that.....well that narrative never made any sense.

All he has to do is show up and not violate the terms of his contract and collect about $10M over the next year and a half........whether he is effective enough to even make the the roster or not.   

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m basically saying the discussion and exaggeration about an average at best player as something more continues to baffle my mind. 

Pot, meet kettle.

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m basically saying the discussion and exaggeration about an average at best player as something more continues to baffle my mind. 

He has been a big part of the 2nd, 10th, 6th, 21st, 7th, 2nd, and 3rd best defenses throughout his career respectively. Pretty big coincidence for an average at best player.

• Like (+1) 1