A Lot of Bills stars Were at OTA's But 1 Star Was Not .

13 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but the fact is,  I have not been due to illness. Why would anyone think the Bills are better off without Edmunds?

I'm the wrong person to ask. People pick up a whipping boy and lose their minds deciding that they want him off the team, deserving or not. 

Edited by jeremy2020

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He was overstating people questioning whether or not Edmunds was deserving of having his $12.7M fifth year option picked up. 
Sorry to hear that you were ill. Hope all is well now. 

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He was overstating people questioning whether or not Edmunds was deserving of having his $12.7M fifth year option picked up. 
Sorry to hear that you were ill. Hope all is well now. 

Thank You for the well wishes, that's very kind of you. Also, thanks for clearing that up for me😀

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm the wrong person to ask. People pick up a whipping boy and lose their minds deciding that want him off the team, deserving or not. 

Yeah, I think they need him

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Look - it is fun and easy to bash his decision, but has anyone heard why he made his decision?  

The fact that based upon some Bills reporters - the Bills are currently at 10% vaccination rate maybe drove part of his decision?  I don’t know, but if you were concerned enough to sit out because of the health risks and potential effect and you do a little bit of research and see that even vaccinated people with high risk (especially those with slightly suppressed immune responses) can get infected/re-infected and then you research the impact on healthy athletes in your sport - guys like Cam, Garrett, Tommy Sweeney, and Miller that all missed time and some had severe complications - maybe you still take a more cautious approach.

Maybe he is waiting for further guidance and a higher compliance rate before returning.  Maybe he is waiting to see if the NFLPA will provide additional guidance or maybe he is following the NFLPA guidance he has been given - which was for all athletes was to not attend OTAs due to COVID risk.

Do we know if the (annoyingly, by me) emphasized part is true?

WTF is going on with these guys? Forget all the layers of American ignorance, let's just look at this from a football standpoint: if unvaxxed players test positive, they'll likely still miss games, and bring other players with them. So, it stands to reason, that getting vaccinated is just a good football decision (again, ignoring all the other more important layers of this debacle).

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think that's true. 

The contract does hold that players need to show up for certain things - mandatory workouts, mandatory training camp, meetings, games.  He can lose salary and be fined.  He can be asked to return amortized signing bonus for the games he doesn't play.

As far as I know.  Contracts are guaranteed for injury and sometimes skill, but not for "I ain't gonna show up, and pay me regardless".  That would be nuts.

I said that Star could show up out of game shape, never get on the field all season and still make his guaranteed money.  I'm pretty sure you're right that he just can't quit the team and still get paid.  The issue is that Star could show up out of shape and unmotivated to play this year like Albert Haynesworth did with the Redskins.  I think that's what McDermott and those guys might be worried about.  If they had been in contact with Star and knew he was working hard to stay in shape and he would be ready to strap them up for training camp, I don't think McDermott would have had any concern with Star not being there for the OTAs like a lot of the other vets. 

I hope this is all just a bunch of pointless off season message board speculation and Star is working hard and shows up in great shape ready to clog up the line of scrimmage again.  I just didn't get that vibe from McDermott when he answered that question.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

WTF is going on with these guys? Forget all the layers of American ignorance, let's just look at this from a football standpoint: if unvaxxed players test positive, they'll likely still miss games, and bring other players with them. So, it stands to reason, that getting vaccinated is just a good football decision (again, ignoring all the other more important layers of this debacle).

I can’t verify anything at this point, but this is what was reported:

If that is true or even close to true - then I can understand why a high risk player might stay away.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why are you immune to the wrath of @Royale with Cheese?

He's frickin' demanding I provide data that proves fat people are more at risk for heart disease.............if he asks me to prove that water is wet I might need your help.

You made the claim that most 300+ NFL players have medical conditions and were at risk.  LOL.  

That's the data I asked for yet you won't provide because you made it up.

43 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but the fact is,  I have not been due to illness. Why would anyone think the Bills are better off without Edmunds?

I hope you are recovered and in good health now!

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is funny how state governments have mandated that fans be vaccinated but not employees.

Have they done so, or is that just talk from Erie County Exec at this point?

Last I heard, it was a matter still under discussion:

https://theathletic.com/news/nfl-to-loosen-covid-19-restrictions-for-fully-vaccinated-fans-in-2021-season/FoSeAWRXDiZG

The NFL declined to say whether it would require proof of vaccination for fans to gain entry into stadiums but admitted it is still developing its stadium protocols.

This is the latest guidelines of which I'm aware from NYS:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-large-scale-outdoor-venue-capacity-increase-new-fully-vaccinated-fan

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that large-scale outdoor event venues will only be limited by the space available for patrons or parties of patrons to maintain the required social distance of 6 feet starting May 19. This will apply to outdoor sports, performing arts and live entertainment, and horse and auto racing venues statewide. Appropriate social distancing, masks and other applicable health protocols will still apply.

Governor Cuomo also announced that in large-scale outdoor event venues, fully vaccinated attendees may be spaced next to one another, instead of 6 feet apart, in assigned, seated sections that are designated solely for fully vaccinated individuals. Individuals seated in these sections will have to provide proof of full immunization status, which can be provided through paper form, digital application or the State's Excelsior Pass.

Basically, the way it's working at a large college graduation I know of in NYS, you EITHER have to be fully vaccinated OR take a covid test within the previous 3 days, show the result, and attest you are not symptomatic or exposed.  The "fully vaccinated" section is full capacity; the "tested" section is socially distanced seating 6 ft apart.  Masks are required for both when you're out of your seat (entrance, exit, concourse).  This seems ta reasonable "accomodation" of personal choice about vaccination, but whaddoIknow; people are beefing about it.

But it's not "proof of vaccination required for admission to stadiums" and NYS is one of the strictest states so I doubt other states are requiring this if NYS isn't.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The players are NFL employees but I do get the irony of it.

And for what it's worth, the NFL has mandated that direct employees (coaches, trainers, etc) be vaccinated. They just can't mandate the players thanks to the NFLPA, or else they absolutely would to protect the season/league/product.

2 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I don't think the players are mandated to get the vaccine, are they?

No they are not.  That was @Limeaid point.  For me it's a long way off till September and I will wait before "handwringing".

Lot's of people still in a "wait and see" mode.  Personally I got mine and am happy I did.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And for what it's worth, the NFL has mandated that direct employees (coaches, trainers, etc) be vaccinated. They just can't mandate the players thanks to the NFLPA, or else they absolutely would to protect the season/league/product.

I didn't know that and yes the NFLPA has the input regarding the players.

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not quite.  They said

image.thumb.png.8c5ee8c3a63b2c0b87fafd891aa94c90.png

image.thumb.png.db9f6d2bc01923a97be7b5e3edbe72d3.png

There's a carrot and a stick in there - if you aren't vaccinated, you aren't eligible for Tier 1 or 2 status. (Stick); if you do get vaccinated, you get benefits with regard to less testing, no quarantine, and fewer PPE requirements.

Now the team may have limited number of non-Tier1 and Tier2 positions, so that might hamper your ability to do your job, but it stops short of saying "you must be vaccinated to work here".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I can’t verify anything at this point, but this is what was reported:

If that is true or even close to true - then I can understand why a high risk player might stay away.

That's brutal, if it's even close to accurate. Let's hope the organization is effective in educating its players, dispelling myths, emphasizing the football-related positives of vaccination, etc. There are a couple months left for players to get on board.

Edited by Richard Noggin

53 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

No.  We don't.  It was reported by the Buffalo Fanatics podcasters quoting that ever-valuable word "sources" and what they said was 10 players, which would be somewhat higher than 10 percent.

53 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Can we leave the "layers of American ignorance" out of this going forwards?  This isn't the place for it.  Thank you.  Further such will be unceremoniously snipped.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  We don't.  It was reported by the Buffalo Fanatics podcasters quoting that ever-valuable word "sources" and what they said was 10 players, which would be somewhat higher than 10 percent.

Can we leave the "layers of American ignorance" out of this going forwards?  This isn't the place for it.  Thank you.  Further such will be unceremoniously snipped.

Sorry. It's more difficult some days than others. That Isaac Asimov quote keeps taunting me. 

I'll do better. See also: my most recent post. 

3 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

This wish may come true

Yeah for sure. I'm not 100% on the $$ issue in regards to that and all as to cap hit and whatnot, but yeah can see it as a possibility. Especially how he looks/performs etc when he does show up. Will see soon enough....

• Like (+1) 1