A Lot of Bills stars Were at OTA's But 1 Star Was Not .

I read a piece today on those that didn't show up for voluntary OTA's and i realize it is "Voluntary" and in some instances i get it once the team activities start these guys have to spend time away from their family and get at the grind of the season, some are healing from off season surgeries or just clearing their heads getting ready for the season .

But I'm wondering about those like the Bills Star L. that has had a entire year off why wouldn't he be back just to get back in a flow ? In some small way it makes me question his motivation .

I also wonder did those that opted out last season still get paid ? I believe there must have been some compensation ( but making the cash they do we all could take a yr off & it wouldn't hurt the old checking acct.) wasn't their cap hit moved to this year and what were some of the other things with opting out i'm definitely not p on all that stuff .

But after sitting all last season watching the Bills Kick A** & take names being AFC east champs but not participating i for one would think that Star would be chomping at the bit to get back with the team but actions speak louder than words !!

I could see Diggs taking some time he played injured towards the end of the season and i in no way do i doubt he will be ready & all in when he is fully recovered from the surgery he had this off season so i will give him a pass along with Hughes and some others but just from the outside looking in i would think Star would be one that would want to get back with his mates to play some ball again .

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, T master said:

I read a piece today on those that didn't show up for voluntary OTA's and i realize it is "Voluntary" and in some instances i get it once the team activities start these guys have to spend time away from their family and get at the grind of the season, some are healing from off season surgeries or just clearing their heads getting ready for the season .

But I'm wondering about those like the Bills Star L. that has had a entire year off why wouldn't he be back just to get back in a flow ? In some small way it makes me question his motivation .

I also wonder did those that opted out last season still get paid ? I believe there must have been some compensation ( but making the cash they do we all could take a yr off & it wouldn't hurt the old checking acct.) wasn't their cap hit moved to this year and what were some of the other things with opting out i'm definitely not p on all that stuff .

But after sitting all last season watching the Bills Kick A** & take names being AFC east champs but not participating i for one would think that Star would be chomping at the bit to get back with the team but actions speak louder than words !!

I could see Diggs taking some time he played injured towards the end of the season and i in no way do i doubt he will be ready & all in when he is fully recovered from the surgery he had this off season so i will give him a pass along with Hughes and some others but just from the outside looking in i would think Star would be one that would want to get back with his mates to play some ball again .

T- are you serious?  This was discuss d hundreds of times and yes he was

paid $350k as he had a medical reason with the cardiac issue.  Others get $150k, and comes off Their contract.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

paid $350k as he had a medical reason with the cardiac issue.  Others get $150k, and comes off Their contract.

I am i can't remember where i S**T last sorry but i must have been distracted or just not read much on it & if i did that was a long time ago to me .

They say the mind is a terrible thing to waste and i've done my share so please excuse me if you would .

• Like (+1) 1

Lets look at this positively. One Bills Drive is watching and listening! Their minds must be thinking, "Oh, ok. WE will remember that. Let's now get those that showed up some playing time. They seem to buy in and be humble and hungry." But, maybe that's the problem with Star, he is so hungry that he eats too much, and so humble that he is embarrassed at showing up and acting like a star, when he knows he is dimming out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

"cardiac issue" is a pretty broad definition.   I think virtually every older OL and interior DL player has underlying medical conditions.    Almost all of them played thru them.  

I'm not saying that Star isn't one cheeseburger away from a heart attack but having his salary fully guaranteed whether he played or not AND then getting an extra free $350K to stay home would financially motivate A LOT of older players that have just been forced to take a pay cut to stay home.    The writing was on the wall.   This was probably his last NFL paycheck.

Also, fwiw I really don't think him not being here for volunataries is a sign of anything.    I suspect he will suck or not play for the Bills at all this season,  but 10 year vets often don't show for these things.   He has the least complex job on the entire defense and this isn't a new install...........even if he didn't suck he wouldn't need to be at this OTA.   

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

What's the point in calling something voluntary if you don't consider it to be voluntary.

Think it's mainly that he already missed last season so every and anything regarding the team voluntary or not would be beneficial, especially for him.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"cardiac issue" is a pretty broad definition.   I think virtually every older OL and interior DL player has underlying medical conditions.    Almost all of them played thru them.  

I'm not saying that Star isn't one cheeseburger away from a heart attack but having his salary fully guaranteed whether he played or not AND then getting an extra free $350K to stay home would financially motivate A LOT of older players that have just been forced to take a pay cut to stay home.    The writing was on the wall.   This was probably his last NFL paycheck.

Also, fwiw I really don't think him not being here for volunataries is a sign of anything.    I suspect he will suck or not play for the Bills at all this season,  but 10 year vets often don't show for these things.   He has the least complex job on the entire defense and this isn't a new install...........even if he didn't suck he wouldn't need to be at this OTA.   

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Boxcar, you’re right it is voluntary.  He has leverage in the sense they really won’t fire him as they get no savings from it.

you would think after a year off and much less concerns for COVID given recent developments (vacc.)

Can't you make it mandatory for him, then? Maybe he's working on other stuff?

I just generally get annoyed when the team will have voluntary workouts and then fans track who wasn't there, as though it's some kind sign of lack of commitment. Star could have just opted to retire, but he didn't.

Edited by Boxcar
  • Like (+1) 1