Athletic article: Will having fans back impact QBs play?

10 hours ago, Logic said:

I think this is a very interesting question. 

Personally, I expect a regression from Josh Allen this season. Note, I'm not saying MAJOR regression. I'm not saying he's gonna be BAD. I think he'll still be very good and will still lead the Bills to the playoffs. I just expect a drop in completion percentage, passer rating, and touchdowns scored. 

I think the lack of crowd noise definitely contributed to Josh's success in 2020. The return of a loud, large, hostile crowd sure seemed to negatively affect him in the AFC Championship game. I just hope that the experience and confidence he gained from having such a great year will carry over, and he'll continue to be the elite franchise QB that he appeared to be last season.

Allen was actually a better road QB in 2019, where you'd expect noise to affect the QB the most. 

2019 away

6-2

92.6 rating 

228 ypg

62%

7.36 ypa

18 total TD's 

4 fumbles 

4 INTs

2019 home (Includes final Jets game he only played a little) 

4-4

76.9 rate 

157 ypg (179 without Jets game) 

55%

5.72 ypa

11 total TD'S 

10 fumbles 

5 INTs 

In 2020 his stats were similar in that he was better on the road. His home and road stats improved but that is likely because of multiple factors, Diggs, experience, fans,... 

I think what affects Josh Allen the most is wind and elements. The road crowds really didn't affect him in 2019. I don't expect noise to be a problem for him. Yes he can get fired up but that's just being young. 

I do expect a drop in stats just because it's hard to average those stats every year. I think he'll end up somewhere between 2019 and 2020. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

imo allen's largest flaw at the moment as a qb is his nerves.  like favre before him, he plays with such juice that at times he can get tight or force things, we saw that in the KC games and the houston game in the prior playoffs.  crowd noise will play into that, but it kinda seems like he's a bit more in control (for the most part) on the road, likely because he doesn't put the same pressure on himself to perform for the home audience.

if he has full control of his mental and physical being on the pitch in year 4, it is going to be something else to watch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

If this were Josh's first year with crowd noise I could see it playing a factor but this is his 4th year. The first 2 were played with packed stadiums so he knows what its like. If anything it will be an adjustment at the NFL level for guys like Lawrence and Wilson. Josh will be fine. Then you have QB's like Brady and Rodgers who would laugh at crowd noise as it wouldn't affect their play at all. 

2 hours ago, colin said:

imo allen's largest flaw at the moment as a qb is his nerves.  like favre before him, he plays with such juice that at times he can get tight or force things, we saw that in the KC games and the houston game in the prior playoffs.  crowd noise will play into that, but it kinda seems like he's a bit more in control (for the most part) on the road, likely because he doesn't put the same pressure on himself to perform for the home audience.

🏆🏆🏆

• Like (+1) 1

Allen made an unprecedented statistical jump in a season with no fans.  Some people think that there's a correlation.  Whether there's a correlation or not, I don't think the concept is that hard to get.

3 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Allen made an unprecedented statistical jump in a season with no fans.  Some people think that there's a correlation.  Whether there's a correlation or not, I don't think the concept is that hard to get.

Also made that jump with one of the best WR's in the league and obviously didn't year before. I think that was reason and nothing to do with fans.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

17 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Ironically I read that during drill work today they were pumping in crowd noise. 

Obviously not the same but it seems like something they’re aware of and going to work through. 

this specifically mentioned that josh said this on sirius nfl this morning.  they've been pumping loud crown noises into the practices.  good move.

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

Ive mentioned a few times that the crowd noise is something to watch, but it is REALLY hard to take much from that KC game.   

Yes, he clearly struggled more with late clock call changes.  

However, we had no running game, an OL that was abused that day, and (what we know now to be) an incredibly beat up WR room.. every WR with a significant injury.  

Don't forget the holding and late hits.

3 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Correlation does not equal causation though.  There were improvements in pass protection, addition of a top level WR, as well as personal adjustments to his mechanics which seemed to result in some improvement in his accuracy.  Year 3 is often when a QB starts to get it as well - I think Allen was solid in pre-snap adjustments in 2019, but the big leap was in post-snap adjustments this past season.  

I don’t think the crowd noise is more a detriment to him than say any other qb. His first win in the league was that huge upset against the Vikings and the crowd there was pretty crazy.

as others pointed out his stats were better on the road in 2019 than at home (last year with crowds)

I think the opposing crowds and their cheering against him may make him focus better or make him more determined if that’s possible

whereas the home crowds may pump him and make him need to calm down some but who knows