Stadium update, but not really

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

At present..., but I am certain “if” Danny wanted to he could pull it off, as I stated up thread, Danny has shown no interest in partnering with OBD so this is just musing on my behalf,

I'm sure he could do it.  But I'm sure he's concluded it would lose him money, so he's out.  ("He" is a euphemism, his daughter runs the supermarket business for a while now).

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm sure he could do it.  But I'm sure he's concluded it would lose him money, so he's out.  ("He" is a euphemism, his daughter runs the supermarket business for a while now).

I’ve been out of Rochester for a lot of years, when Mr Wegmans passed, iirc Danny took over, so now Danny’s daughter is running the show, it’s good that the family is still running the business, continuity is a good thing in this case I think..,

• Agree 1

On 5/25/2021 at 7:55 PM, Don Otreply said:

This is a good idea imo, but last I heard Wegmans was not interested in name recognition at the stadium, although a long term food and beverage contract might motivate Danny... 😁

9d38c7a5-e45e-480f-a88d-4da0ececa0ec_tex

• Haha (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

So we're all still a "no" on a dome?  The way we play football in 2021 and we're still a no?

Not me.  I'm all in.  Put a lid on it watch how loud we get plus I guarantee we get a Super Bowl - oh yeah you bet your tail if I'm Pegula I'm leveraging that somehow.  

Genius. Except a dome doesn't make it louder. It suppresses and cancels out noise vibrations. 

Open air is best. The best teams win regardless.

I think a Dome makes the most sense this isn’t the Bills of old. I prefer open stadiums but Josh appears to play better in ideal settings and I would want to give him every advantage possible. Retractable roof would be the best but not cost feasible.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2021 at 4:59 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

I read this a few minutes ago and my first thought was, why did they even bother releasing this statement. They say they met to discuss the results of an independent study, at least say something of what that study said. 

That's easy.

The report will say the taxpayers of Buffalo are going to shafted paying for a billionaires stadium 

23 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

So we're all still a "no" on a dome?  The way we play football in 2021 and we're still a no?

Not me.  I'm all in.  Put a lid on it watch how loud we get plus I guarantee we get a Super Bowl - oh yeah you bet your tail if I'm Pegula I'm leveraging that somehow.  

Where are fans going to stay if Buffalo ever got a Super Bowl? Would they set up cots in the dome? Campgrounds perhaps?

59 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Genius. Except a dome doesn't make it louder. It suppresses and cancels out noise vibrations. 

Open air is best. The best teams win regardless.

Maybe.  But I think of the advantage the Saints have in that dome I'd like to have that here.  

There is no more and probably never has been an advantage for us with the weather.  Only exception was when we had Hall of Fame talent up and down the roster....can't keep that long term anymore but you can maintain crowd noise.   

Especially in the years where our D is awesome.

So under McD that should be often.  

And we have a QB that I'd like playing in the best conditions possible.  

Plus no worries for fans anymore re weather and late season games.  

22 minutes ago, Beast said:

Where are fans going to stay if Buffalo ever got a Super Bowl? Would they set up cots in the dome? Campgrounds perhaps?

I was being half serious.  Half.  Maybe 75%

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2021 at 9:39 PM, Big Blitz said:

I doubt they ever get a SB.  Not enough hotel rooms.  These are the requirements from 2014, I would think it hasn't changed too much since then. 

20140605190910.pdf (documentcloud.org)

A sufficient quantity of quality hotel accommodations is essential to a successful Super Bowl. TI1ere must be 35% as many hotel rooms as the number of Stadium seats guamnteed in the Bid, located in prope1iies within a 60-minute drive of the Stadium (e.g. for a 75,000-seat Stadium, there must be a minimum of 27,000 hotel rooms within the 60-mlimte radius).

The NFL requires that at least one hotel must reserve a minimum of one thousand (1 ,000) rooms, representing 100% of total hotel rooms and all suites in the hotel beginning on the Monday prior to the Super Bowl Game to be considered for the NFL Headquarters Hotel. 

16 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I doubt they ever get a SB.  Not enough hotel rooms.  These are the requirements from 2014, I would think it hasn't changed too much since then. 

20140605190910.pdf (documentcloud.org)

Not saying the area has 27k hotel rooms but its probably a lot closer than you would think especially when you add in niagara falls and parts of Canada like st cathrines and Hamilton. Parts of Rochester etc

A 60 mile radius is huge

9 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

You think the main reason why Buffalo wouldn’t get a super bowl is not enough hotel rooms? Thats far out man. 

Maybe the three 18 hole golf courses will be the issue then. 

On 5/25/2021 at 5:32 PM, gjv001 said:

Increase capacity to 80,000, add a dome, through in a few corridor trinkets and upgrades and be done with it.

I think you're meaning a new stadium, not re working the Ralph again. For once, I'm finally on board with this and the Dome. Hate to say it and at one point would've called myself a blasphemer. Finally came around to it last year. I realize josh has little chance at playing in the new spot but still, the leagues changed and I want our offenses to be able to fire on all cylinders. Add in the tax payers footing the bill and it needs to have more utility.

... OK im ready to get blasted now lol

On 5/25/2021 at 2:32 PM, gjv001 said:

Increase capacity to 80,000, add a dome, through in a few corridor trinkets and upgrades and be done with it.

Old school domes are not built anymore.  A Fixed or retractable roof will add a lot of cost onto a construction job that will already cost an exorbitant amount.  And for what?  The idea that there will be so many more events in the stadium?  That’s debatable.

The maintenance of that roof will cost a lot too.  And that cost along with the cost of construction will be added to ticket and parking prices.  Many clamoring for a roof will be priced out of watching a game under it.  Is a roof worth it in that case?

I’d bet a more aesthetically pleasing version of Heinz field is what the Bills wind up with.

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

Old school domes are not built anymore.  A Fixed or retractable roof will add a lot of cost onto a construction job that will already cost an exorbitant amount.  And for what?  The idea that there will be so many more events in the stadium?  That’s debatable.

The maintenance of that roof will cost a lot too.  And that cost along with the cost of construction will be added to ticket and parking prices.  Many clamoring for a roof will be priced out of watching a game under it.  Is a roof worth it in that case?

I’d bet a more aesthetically pleasing version of Heinz field is what the Bills wind up with.

I wish people would stop calling any covered stadium a "Dome".  Most newer covered stadiums aren't domes.  Minneapolis and Seattle are two cities that ditched the crappy domes and built modern stadiums. There are some newer domes, however.  Dallas has a bit of a dome, for example.  

I'm for an open stadium, as I always have been. I also think the current stadium is pretty good and, if possible, should be remodeled. But if it HAS to be a covered stadium, it has to have a retractable roof, IMO. And it should be open as often as possible.

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

I wish people would stop calling any covered stadium a "Dome".  Most newer covered stadiums aren't domes.  Minneapolis and Seattle are two cities that ditched the crappy domes and built modern stadiums. There are some newer domes, however.  Dallas has a bit of a dome, for example.  

I'm for an open stadium, as I always have been. I also think the current stadium is pretty good and, if possible, should be remodeled. But if it HAS to be a covered stadium, it has to have a retractable roof, IMO. And it should be open as often as possible.

Minneapolis's stadium is a temperature controlled dome with about 60% of the roof composed of ETFE glass.  They just have an awesome design and were able to build the stadium for 1.1 billion dollars.  Just hire those people and tell them we want the same thing. 

A retractable roof isn't worth the money as teams that have it only have it opened about a third of the time.  Plus, four of the five teams that have warmer climates (Dallas, Houston, Arizona, Atlanta).  The Colts being the only exception.

I surrendered season tickets years ago after being miserable after a 34 degree rain soaked game during the Bills/Giants game in late '07?  If the Pegula's read this board, I will GLADLY purchase two PSL's if you build a new dome in Orchard Park next to the current stadium.  

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Season ticket income is a pimple on the @ss of NFL TV $$$$$$$.

But it is a very big pimple.  So big it should treated as 3rd butt cheek.

If it wasn't important to other teams they would not be pushing for stadium upgrades.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The upgrades are for club seats, which is not shared revenue.

I know but there should be no external pressure for Bills to build a new stadium with those seats - opposing teams get no money.  And it is likely the Bills would have trouble selling more club seats especially when those seats come with PSLs.

• Agree 1

If I was an opposing team owner I would be more concerned about getting Bills to update the opposition team locker room which I heard from ex-NFL coworker (who played for Jets mostly on PS) is below standard.  Maybe they took the advice of many fans and limit amount of hot water to them.  Another concern of opposition teams would be improving field.. There are limits the Bills can do with design of stadium and field below ground level.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm sure that the Bills are taking heat from other ownership groups, since they are riding on a freebee with the 48 year old County supported Stadium. This is partially reflected (In my opinion) in the less than optimal game scheduling, which tends to be weighted towards the harsher months.  I am hoping against hope, that the team stays in Orchard Park, with or without a new Stadium. A downtown facility, will largely do away with the 'Culture' of game day, which I have to believe, is exactly what the team wants.

Part of the reason for this weighting is many other stadiums are more multi-use and more events are scheduled during later part of season there.

Rarely, unless it a hockey game is Bills' (WNY's), is stadium used for anything other than football during late part of season.

If the landlord (WNY) wanted more games played in first half of season they could have other events at stadium even if they were "created" events like training for country employees.  NFL cannot reasonably complain about landlords deciding to use the stadium they rent to Bills for events.

• Like (+1) 1