Article: Stefon Diggs discusses how his 'by-the-book' approach changed after playing with Josh Allen

While I will never wish away a summer, the quote in the OP certainly makes me stoked for the fall! 😃 

I was hesitant when the Bills gave a first for Diggs and I was, gladly, wrong! These two have chemistry and are of the same mold. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Brady? No, he would say do everything exactly by the book, exactly the same every single time. Do not think for yourself, just run the play. Let me think for you.

And there is no such thing as Brady not being a dick.

I was referring to Josh saying it in a way not to be a dick. Do you really Brady cared about how Edelman and Welker was running their option besides getting open.

5 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

I was referring to Josh saying it in a way not to be a dick. Do you really Brady cared about how Edelman and Welker was running their option besides getting open.

Absolutely. They ran a system. They found guys who would fit in the system and do it the same. When players left, they found guys to fit the exact same role in the exact same way. No room for freestyling there.

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Absolutely. They ran a system. They found guys who would fit in the system and do it the same. When players left, they found guys to fit the exact same role in the exact same way. No room for freestyling there.

You do realize we run the same system right. Only difference is incorporate RPO's into the offense

44 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

You do realize we run the same system right. Only difference is incorporate RPO's into the offense

I'm not talking just about the offensive scheme. I'm talking about the entire New England system, including their approach to bringing in talent.

One of the narratives in the national media about Allen and Diggs that irks me a bit is that Diggs is always bailing Allen out and that without Diggs Allen would half as good as he is today.

Two points, Diggs is amazing and is hard to cover and he makes Allen's life way easier because he is open so often.  That is a given, and in that respect, Diggs does help Allen out a lot.  No argument from me.  Thank God we have Diggs, he is incredible.

The second point, and the one that bothers me, is that the media pundits make it sound like Allen is throwing Diggs bad balls and Diggs is making circus catches all over the place saving Josh's hide.  I just don't think that is the case at all.

Diggs gets open, and Josh puts the ball on the money.  There is no YouTube video on all of Diggs' circus catches from last year, because he didn't make many last year.  The overwhelming majority of balls that came his way were right on the money, on time, and where he could catch it and run.  Those were great  throws that Josh Allen made.  The insinuation by pundits that Diggs is bailing Allen out of bad throws all the time is simply false.

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

One of the narratives in the national media about Allen and Diggs that irks me a bit is that Diggs is always bailing Allen out and that without Diggs Allen would half as good as he is 

That's a national narrative you're seeing? Where?  I can honestly say that I've never seen or heard anything like that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

One of the narratives in the national media about Allen and Diggs that irks me a bit is that Diggs is always bailing Allen out and that without Diggs Allen would half as good as he is today.

Two points, Diggs is amazing and is hard to cover and he makes Allen's life way easier because he is open so often.  That is a given, and in that respect, Diggs does help Allen out a lot.  No argument from me.  Thank God we have Diggs, he is incredible.

The second point, and the one that bothers me, is that the media pundits make it sound like Allen is throwing Diggs bad balls and Diggs is making circus catches all over the place saving Josh's hide.  I just don't think that is the case at all.

I have a slightly different opinion.

The Bills offense benefits immensely from two components, and it explains a lot of long third down conversions which we've we've all seen and enjoyed, especially since the Thanksgiving Dallas game.

First component is Allen getting out of the pocket and buying time towards the sideline.

Second is the receivers recognizing the scramble drill and getting open when the initial timing of the play is disrupted.

I think the Bills are extremely good at the scramble drill passing offense, and especially Diggs and Beasley.

Josh gets them the ball because he has the ability to throw from many arm angles, even if his balls aren't super accurate.

So far, works for us. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Diggs gets open, and Josh puts the ball on the money.  There is no YouTube video on all of Diggs' circus catches from last year, because he didn't make many last year.  The overwhelming majority of balls that came his way were right on the money, on time, and where he could catch it and run.  Those were great  throws that Josh Allen made.  The insinuation by pundits that Diggs is bailing Allen out of bad throws all the time is simply false.

i agree with the thrust of you post, but would like to add that diggs rarely has circus catches because he does all the little things up to and as the ball is in the air so well he makes the play easier for himself, and harder for defenders.

it's a pleasure to watch.  I suppose the downside of that is because he is not huge or super fast he can be "taken out" with outstanding double coverage (contrast that with terrell owens, who ran every route at full speed and often looked like he might fall over out of his breaks.  it lead to him dropping some balls because of how hard he was working, but it made him more or less uncoverable).  The upside is that he's super reliable, and if he's dinged up or as he gets older, smooth precise play is the last thing to fade for a WR (besides height obviously), so he can be a top producer for a while.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Yeah thats more a fan take than a media take. It gets on my nerves especially coming from Ravens fans. They say its all Diggs but they are begging their front office to give them the same thing and if Lamar passing yards increase he will get ALL the credit smh

17 hours ago, The Dean said:

That's a national narrative you're seeing? Where?  I can honestly say that I've never seen or heard anything like that.

Agreed.  I think it’s a paranoid Bills fan take.  We like to feel slighted at any opportunity.  Trust me, fans of other teams are envious as hell of Josh Allen.  They went from “he’s a bust” to “damn, he’s good” in a heartbeat.  Any fans claiming Josh is being “bailed out” by Diggs are doing so out of denial.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:25 PM, Rockinon said:

Wonder how many of those caught passes last year were of Diggs freelancing and bailing Allen out. Would wager that many of them weren't "by the book".

If you watch a lot of Diggs routes, they were definitely timed in routes, comebacks, hitches, etc.  He's just soooo good at the top of his routes.

I think when Josh says "get open, i'll find you" it's more of when a play breaks down, be creative, get open. He also did that NUMEROUS times, obviously. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/stefon-diggs-aiming-for-five-super-bowl-rings-in-his-climb-to-the-mountain-top

"I haven't reached the mountain top yet. I always aim high. I want five Super Bowl rings," Diggs told DC Magazine in a recent interview. "I want the Hall of Fame. I want the glory. I believe I'm a champion. But, more so, I want to carry some people along with me. I want my brother, Trevon, to have a good career. I want to give my mom a place where she can be comfortable. I want to give people jobs. I want to do more for D.C., my city. The mountain top isn't just for football; it's for life in general. The more people I can help -- that's when I'll look back and know I made a difference."

Let's hope his wish comes true!