Article: Stefon Diggs discusses how his 'by-the-book' approach changed after playing with Josh Allen

https://www.audacy.com/sports/nfl/stefon-diggs-by-the-book-approach-changed-with-josh-allen

"I like to buy into a process, and I want to blend in as much as I can and let my play stand out. This is going to sound crazy, but I'm a by-the-book guy," Diggs said. "Josh will just look at me and say, 'Stef, just get open and catch the ball. I really don't care what you do before that.' And that's hard to hear because I'm so used to timing routes and doing things in a certain type of way. But this is where the creativity comes in. I can mix things up a little bit, and the quarterback trusts me. The only way you can build that trust is by making plays."

Edited by CNY315
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

It's amazing what they did last year WITHOUT having any organized offseason activities and Diggs just coming in off of a trade. Just think about what the upcoming season will be like with them having even more of a rapport with one another.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just heard Josh Norman on Le Batard's podcast.  When asked to name the toughest receivers he has gone up against, he named Diggs first and said it was because he was such an incredible route runner and would study corners and set them up.  (Btw, the next receive he mentioned was Beasley  and said he is the best slot receiver in the game.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

It's amazing what they did last year WITHOUT having any organized offseason activities and Diggs just coming in off of a trade. Just think about what the upcoming season will be like with them having even more of a rapport with one another.   

they should get bunkbeds lol

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

https://www.audacy.com/sports/nfl/stefon-diggs-by-the-book-approach-changed-with-josh-allen

"I like to buy into a process, and I want to blend in as much as I can and let my play stand out. This is going to sound crazy, but I'm a by-the-book guy," Diggs said. "Josh will just look at me and say, 'Stef, just get open and catch the ball. I really don't care what you do before that.' And that's hard to hear because I'm so used to timing routes and doing things in a certain type of way. But this is where the creativity comes in. I can mix things up a little bit, and the quarterback trusts me. The only way you can build that trust is by making plays."

When Josh said "just get open and catch the ball and I don't care how you do it"  sounds like something Brady would have told his receivers in private back in the day but in a good way and not being a dick. I can imagine that would be music to a receiver like Stevie Johnson ears.

Josh is going to have receivers lining up to play with him in the next couple of years if he keeps his play up

Edited by Protocal69
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I just heard Josh Norman on Le Batard's podcast.  When asked to name the toughest receivers he has gone up against, he named Diggs first and said it was because he was such an incredible route runner and would study corners and set them up.  (Btw, the next receive he mentioned was Beasley  and said he is the best slot receiver in the game.)

Okay, we can re-sign Josh Norman now😎

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

When Josh said "just get open and catch the ball and I don't care how you do it"  sounds like something Brady would have told his receivers in private back in the day but in a good way and not being a dick. I can imagine that would be music to a receiver like Stevie Johnson ears.

Josh is going to have receivers lining up to play with him in the next couple of years if he keeps his play up

Brady? No, he would say do everything exactly by the book, exactly the same every single time. Do not think for yourself, just run the play. Let me think for you.

And there is no such thing as Brady not being a dick.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Wonder how many of those caught passes last year were of Diggs freelancing and bailing Allen out. Would wager that many of them weren't "by the book".

this was definitely by the book

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, MJS said:

Brady? No, he would say do everything exactly by the book, exactly the same every single time. Do not think for yourself, just run the play. Let me think for you.

And there is no such thing as Brady not being a dick.

Yup, even the time Superman went into Bizaro World...brady was still a dick

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I still think by looking at many of Josh's best plays in 2020 that most routes were definitely by design, certainly including Diggs'. But it does happen many times in games all goes out the window and you wing it. But even that has some set patterns, otherwise all receivers could end clustered. You can't throw a pass before the WR has created separation or is not set yet without knowing what he'll do! That would be INTs most of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

I hope in 25-30 years from now when someone asks who is the best QB & WR combo of all time ( yards / Td’s / and so on) Allen & Diggs would be the answer ahead of Montana & Rice and so on !!! 
Can’t wait for the Pittsburgh game  !!! 
GO BILLS BABY !!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I still think by looking at many of Josh's best plays in 2020 that most routes were definitely by design, certainly including Diggs'. But it does happen many times in games all goes out the window and you wing it. But even that has some set patterns, otherwise all receivers could end clustered. You can't throw a pass before the WR has created separation or is not set yet without knowing what he'll do! That would be INTs most of the time.

I can't remember which game it was, but in one of them both Josh and Diggs said the play called for Diggs to run a post, but the way the safety was playing it he just ran a go and Josh "saw his numbers going away from me" and threw a TD.

On the other hand, Beasley has stressed that he and Josh have to see the defense and the options he's going to run exactly the same way to avoid picks. 

I do think some of the picks Fitz threw his last year in B'lo were him and Stevie not being on the same page.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Reminded me of Fitz and Stevie Johnson.

Problem with Fitz is that he often didn’t have the arm strength to compensate for Stevie’s improvisational route running. That messed up timing was often visible on long outs where Fitz would literally triple hitch some of those throws to get it there in time. Josh has no such limitations. 

1 hour ago, loedward22 said:

this was definitely by the book

Was that the play when he hurt his shoulder ??

Edited by Putin

4 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Forgot about that play. Was amazing. Wasn't that the play where the shoulder wasn't right for a while?

yes, I believe it was.  I pulled the video from this page, but I think they paint the picture he avoided the injury, yet we know that wasn't the case...