Josh Allen OTAs press conference 5/25

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Most people don't frame "murder" as a choice.  It's against the law basically, everywhere.

I suppose you can frame it as a "choice" in that "yes, it's against the law and a moral wrong, but I can decide whether or not I'm going to break the law and commit a moral wrong" but that's really a bit sophistical in this instance, isn't it?

The NFL has said vaccination is not mandatory; it is something the players can choose.  It isn't the law to get vaccinated right now.  I don't think my opinions are a secret around here, but those are my opinions, they have neither the force of law nor team mandate for the players.  It's a choice.

For most people, a choice means something that is legal and freely available to them. 

Comparing this to a "choice" to commit murder or otherwise break the law and then bringing in "moral relativism" on a football discussion board is just bizarre.

It's going to place the Bills at a serious competitive disadvantage unless the players basically agree to live the cloistered, restricted existance they led last season.

I believe that was McD’s broader point today. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

To be clear .. many people are pro-vaccine in general (thank goodness for the polio vaccine) but uncertain about one that was done in record time .. by a country mile.  

Then this is something wise people would seek information about from legitimate, informed sources, not dudes and dudettes on Twitter or someone with a Youtube account and a white coat who says "I'm a doctor and...".  It's not a secret in the pharma industry how this happened or why the mRNA and Adeno vaccines were the first kids on the block and the more conventional inactivated virus and adjuvant/conjugate protein vaccines are just now completing their Phase IIIs and putting their EUA package together.  I'm not gonna here, but I could tell you all about it and point you to a dozen reputable sources (most available online) that could give more detail and back that up.

Vaccination is a choice, people choose, I get it, but it's frustrating when people assert their choice based on innuendo and misinformation or misunderstanding instead of facts.

Unless someone has a physical injury that can impact a game it is nobody’s business as to the person’s healthcare. Why not ask which of his teammates has STDs inquiring minds want to know. 

C'mon Man. 

STDs are not an issue.  They are not transmitted by breathing the same air as someone you're sitting next to, using the next locker to, or receiving treatment from.

On the other hand, Covid-19 is, and there were healthy strong players last year who suffered lasting effects from it - Von Miller, Myles Garrett, Tommy Sweeney, possibly Cam Newton.  The official position of the NFLPA is that Covid-19 is a health threat and the players want to avoid catching Covid-19.  See for example:

If you believe something in the workplace is a threat to you and yours, it really ought to be appropriate to ask about it, don't you think?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Ok fine but you can still get it.  

You can still test positive for it.  

That's true, but the odds of catching it are much reduced and the odds of getting seriously ill with it even more so

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

The question they should be asking is what happens when you test positive  - first of all who are we even testing and why?  

What are the protocols? 

My guess is these guys haven't heard yet that a vaccine gives them their normal routine / life back so why am I getting it?  

It's a point that the NFL/NFLPA has not yet come out and said what the new protocols will be for vaccinated players.

They said in a memo that vaccinated staff don't need to wear contact tracers or quarantine if they're a close contact but it's not at all clear to me the NFLPA has signed off on that.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's going to place the Bills at a serious competitive disadvantage unless the players basically agree to live the cloistered, restricted existance they led last season.

It probably will but that will be a choice the players and team makes. And I wouldn’t be surprised if majority or all teams in the NFL have similar numbers. 

9 minutes ago, wppete said:

It probably will but that will be a choice the players and team makes. And I wouldn’t be surprised if majority or all teams in the NFL have similar numbers. 

Unlikely "all teams" will have similar numbers.  There will be teams that have player leadership that support getting vaccinated and that do an exceptional job reaching out to players and persuading, and they will seize the competitive advantage that offers.

I kind of get the impression you're fine with, or even kind of gleeful, if the Bills don't manage to join those teams and place themselves at a competitive disadvantage to (say) the Kansas City Chiefs, or the Seattle Seasnakes, thereby - that you view this as a "moral victory" of sorts?

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unlikely "all teams" will have similar numbers.  There will be teams that have player leadership that support getting vaccinated and that do an exceptional job reaching out to players and persuading, and they will seize the competitive advantage that offers.

I kind of get the impression you're fine with, or even kind of gleeful, if the Bills don't manage to join those teams and place themselves at a competitive disadvantage to (say) the Kansas City Chiefs, or the Seattle Seasnakes, thereby - that you view this as a "moral victory" of sorts?

I really don’t care if they get vaccinated or don’t. That is their personal choice and I support that. I think it will be interesting to see how this all plays out this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mango said:

Given the fact that how the team structured practice revolves around vaccines it’s a necessary and reasonable question. Josh is also free to answer it personally or not.

I don’t have a huge issue with asking because it is football related. I also don’t have a huge issue with him keeping those conversations internal. 

This.

I think Josh opened a PR can of worms earlier in the year regarding pandemic safeguards and OBD just coached him to be more circumspect around that topic.

Allen is pretty well-coached for pressers, he will continue to grow and learn how to sidestep those "in-house" OBD policy questions.

I don't fault reporters for asking - it's what they do, and I applaud OBD for trying to keep these types of discussions in-house as that policy helps limit team distractions and allows the team to better present a unified narrative rather than a Twitter-storm of player opinions that they may be forced to address.

I may have my head in the sand but I’m absolutely shocked that the first several pages of all of the board’s OTA press conference threads consist of COVID 19 vax discussions.  I’m really surprised at the lack of football discussion.  Please don’t interpret my post as a shot towards the posters or the discussion....I’m just honestly surprised that the vax is the dominant subject.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

I may have my head in the sand but I’m absolutely shocked that the first several pages of all of the board’s OTA press conference threads consist of COVID 19 vax discussions.  I’m really surprised at the lack of football discussion.  Please don’t interpret my post as a shot towards the posters or the discussion....I’m just honestly surprised that the vax is the dominant subject.

Lol, the power or the media tends to sometimes trickle down and over take other conversations unfortunately.

16 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I want to talk about OTAs, not vaccines.☹️

Fat chance, some people would rather talk about aspects of people's own personal medical decisions than football.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

This thread is getting very close to the  edge...😎

I saw the topic for the first time and saw OTA and 6 pages and got excited and thought oh good must be some good info - then after a minute of reading it was "oh"

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know people hate to hear but Tom Brady is the absolute best QB handling the media. He gives them nothing but football to talk about. Every QB should follow his example in every way. 

Never say anything about anything unless you want that attention. 

The QB who recently talked about his eating habits, water drinking habits, sleep habits? The QB who modeled Uggs? The QB who once had a MAGA hat? The QB who once talked about how bad the hotels were in Buffalo? Who fathered a child with his girlfriend right before they broke up? I mean, he is good at this but he is not perfect in terms of avoiding non-football media attention.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know people hate to hear but Tom Brady is the absolute best QB handling the media. He gives them nothing but football to talk about. Every QB should follow his example in every way. 

Never say anything about anything unless you want that attention. 

Stampede,  I agree.  I think all of us have a POV on the vaccine stuff, but I honestly want to hear more about how Dane Jackson had a good INT against Hodgins and for that matter how is Isaiah coming back from his injury.

Im a little surprised Star didnt show up.  

My point on vacc. Was simply they will have more obstacles with daily testing, masks, and it is within the teams choice to push for virtual

learning for in vacc guys.  It stinks, but if they choose not to get the vacc. that’s their choice.  It also draws a team to protect everyone else

in the building.

im hopeful we’ll hear more from Vic or Sal on the football stuff.

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

...and then shame them for those decisions

People, probably like yourself, enjoy saying this is (oR aT lEaSt UsEd To Be) a free country. Well, then I'm free to discuss, criticize, or otherwise shame others for their exercising of those rights. You don't need to cry for these millionaires who might, or might not, be making selfish and poorly informed choices.

This all came about due to an initially poorly handled answer by our beloved QB. It IS football relevant, as lack of vaccinations could have the very real chance of disadvantaging the team this season. (Not to mention our inability to achieve meaningful herd immunity before the virus mutates...but I digress).

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

People, probably like yourself, enjoy saying this is (oR aT lEaSt UsEd To Be) a free country. Well, then I'm free to discuss, criticize, or otherwise shame others for their exercising of those rights. You don't need to cry for these millionaires who might, or might not, be making selfish and poorly informed choices.

This all came about due to an initially poorly handled answer by our beloved QB. It IS football relevant, as lack of vaccinations could have the very real chance of disadvantaging the team this season. (Not to mention our inability to achieve meaningful herd immunity before the virus mutates...but I digress).

I didn't say you weren't free to shame others.

See the difference there?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well, then I'm free to discuss, criticize, or otherwise shame others

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Your gotcha missed the mark.

See above. As I stated, I didn't say you weren't free to shame others.